Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:59 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : GFXterm64 for 64-bit Linux (and possibly RPi), RC3

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 03:18pm 19 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

below is the latest update (RC3) of GFXterm64 for 64-bit Linux:

GFXterm64.zip

while this is now fully functional for serial port access, i haven't quite worked out how best to do network access yet. the bell now works (with volume control), along with a whole load of other bits and pieces that were missing from the linux version.

also included is a copy of 'serial port monitor', that lists all the live serial ports available. there is now a right-click menu that allows you to clear the port list - new ports are then added when plugged in.

JohnS has verified that GFXterm can be compiled for 32-bit Linux with just a few minor changes. i believe it should also be possible to compile for Raspberry Pi. to compile you just need to install Lazarus 2.0.6 or later.

usage:
to connect to the micromite you need to right-click and select 'CONNECT' from the popup menu, then enter the path to the serial device into the query box. if the green "online" flag above the terminal area isn't lit, then you are not connected and GFXterm will just loop back keypresses to the screen (a bit like a typewriter).

cheers,
rob   :-)
Edited 2020-05-20 01:20 by robert.rozee

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:15am 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can build either or both for 32-bit x86 if there's any desire.

John

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 07:09pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

no need - i just spent 2 days battling with raspbian running on a RPi 1, followed by virtualbox (on a desktop) refusing to run 32-bit linux mint in a useful fashion.

the end results:
GFXterm32 (20-may-2020).zip
a 32-bit linux build of RC3 of GFXterm and serial port monitor. these are compiled with lazarus 2.0.8, and appear to be fully functional.

and:
GFXterm-RPi32 (20-may-2020).zip
this is just GFXterm, compiled with lazarus 2.0.0 for the raspberry pi. the performance is... disappointingly slow. it is barely usable on a RPi 3, and pretty much useless on a RPi 1, but i would very much appreciate feedback.

getting 32-bit linux running in virtualbox proved to be an absolute pain, as there are 'issues' with the latest version of VB (6.1.8) that make it all-but-impossible to get local files in to or out of a linux VM. to make matters worse, just about every attempt to fix the problem completely trashed the VM. in the end i went back to an earlier version of VB (5.2.42) and was finally able to get shared folders working (but not drag-and-drop).

please do report results. in particular, does the bell work on various different linux'es? it uses a thing called 'ALSA' (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) that seems to be fairly universal on modern linux distros.

cheers,

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:59pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you're doing what I think with VB then you probably have one or more rather large files (ending .vdi in my case).

I've been able to "loop mount" and then dig into them.

If so, try web searching things like
mount vdi in linux

John

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:02pm 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yep, one .vdi file of approx 8gb for each virtual machine. for the first few attempts i had to start from scratch creating a new .vdi after each failure, then i started making a backup copy so i could go back to a working state with relative ease.

i tried both 32-bit linux mint, as well as 32-bit debian, and kernels from 4.15 up to 5.3. every time i tried installing the 'guest additions', the VM would break to the point of not even booting. the extensions were not just breaking the kernel, but also the X-11 install. i found the only way to get thing in and out was to not load the guest additions, and instead use an internet file repository for file exchange - which seemed a ridiculously convoluted solution. but then, as a last-ditch attempt, i tried the earlier version VB 5.2.42 and shared folders worked.

had thought about looking into ways of digging into the .vdi file, but it seemed far too complicated for what should have been a really basic function. i am very much a linux beginner, and even simple things take quite some time to work out. what i have learnt from the experience: that VM's have some definite limitations in what they are useful for, and that supporting multiple platforms for an application can be quite hard work!

btw: there is a magic incantation required to be able to compile GFXterm2/RC3 under linux:
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev

this loads up a load of header files that lazarus needs to compile the sound routines used to generate the bell sound. these seem to be already present in the latest Raspbian, but not in mint 19.3.

cheers,

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:03pm 22 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries - let me know if you want me to dig out the way I mistreated a .vdi :)

(Not GUI-friendly...)

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024