Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:29 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite CFunction SPIPort behaving oddly

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 11:05am 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Morning Forum.

On a MicroMite Mk2 28 pin 170, has anyone had any joy getting the SPIPort routine in the Embedded routines in the firmware pack working? (can't use the normal SPI port).

I have something very odd happening whereby I am getting  the CS pin oscillating even when I have stopped the program and am at the > prompt.

Here is my sub to talk to the chip:

Sub MAX7221(MAX7221Dat As Integer)
Local Integer j
Pin(CS)=0 'CS Lo
j=SPIPort(2,DAT,CLK,MAX7221Dat,0,0,16)' 16 bits sent at 1MHz+
Pin(CS)=1 'CS Hi
End Sub

If I REM the line starting j= then I see the toggle from the CS pin, but if I un-REM it, I get the oscillation, even when my prog is not running. It starts up, makes a single call to the above Sub then ENDs, but that CS pin keeps waggling... at the > prompt(!).

HWInit:
Pin(CS)=1:SetPin CS,DOUT,OC' pin 14 =CS
Pin(DAT)=0:SetPin DAT,DOUT,OC ' set tx pin low then set it as an output
Pin(CLK)=0:SetPin CLK,DOUT,OC ' set clk pin low then set it as an output
SetPin 2, DIN ' dummy input pin

InitMAX7221:
MAX7221(&H0F01)' display normal (not test)
End

I have noticed a disparity in the SPIPort PDF, the header for the Function shows:

CFunction SPIPort(integer, integer, integer, integer) integer

which suggests four arguments passed to it, but the example shows

rd = SPIPort( rx, tx, clk, data_to_send, speed, mode, bits )

which shows seven arguments.

I used the example in my code as you can see. I tried changing the CFunction definition to include seven integers passed in but no different.

Bit stuck, any help/pointers greatly appreciated.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:05pm 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It very much looks something is repeatedly calling your sub.  The CS low time is about 250uS which is about correct if the line starting j= is commented out.

I did a lot of testing of that CFunction and it worked fine.

Geoff.
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 02:12pm 20 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree, but it is happening at the > prompt, which kind of points to some backdoor thing going on. Also, I call the routine once then end and it still continues.

I am up against the clock here and I am now etching a tiddly level shifter so I can use the hardware SPI. The MAX7221 needs a a min 3.5V to recognise a hi, so direct wired doesn't cut it. Thought I could be clever using some 5V tolerant pins with pull-ups and the SPIPort function, I have to get this out the door tonight  

One thing I didn't try was flashing the firmware, I tend to do that if I get weirdness (rarely)

Thanks for quick response

h
Edited 2020-05-21 00:19 by CaptainBoing

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:45am 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Do you have a tick timer going off every millisecond?  That will keep running at the command prompt.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:17am 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Morning Geoff

No, no timers at all running. It is a mystery and definitely associated with the CFunction - if I REM it out, the problem doesn't manifest. I was checking for shorts and all sorts but it just made no sense. Maybe the HEX got corrupted when I copied it across or something.

In the end I etched a tiny 3-channel level-shifter (2 resistors and a FET per channel, all SMD so postage stamp sized board) which I "dead-bugged" onto the PCB and cut the tracks with appropriate back-wiring so I could use the hardware SPI port - all working and with the customer for testing. Version 0.1  

A mystery which I will visit again, but I just ran out of time... as usual.

Thanks

led-bloon

Posted: 09:40am 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try:
Remove the "OC" in -"Pin(CS)=1:SetPin CS,DOUT,OC"
and the rest of the pins for SPI2 as well.
led
Miss you George

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi 'bloon

I will replicate things another time, the board is with the customer now.

It is a mystery but your idea is a good one to see if that low can be "driven" into. I will add it to the list.

I want to get this working as SPI on any pin is a really nice to have. Never used the embedded function before... have used the serial routines lots of times.

SPI (and serial) as protocols are about as simple as it gets - especially one way. I have bashed them in assembler a few times over the years.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:28pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Could it be the CFunction (CSub) that is keeping the pin going?

(I'm guessing it can still be active even back at the command prompt.)

John

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:58pm 21 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Evening John.

That was my guess too - it needs a power cycle to stop it i.e. once started I have no control (prolly a CPU RESTART would fix as well but dint try). It is not expected behaviour and from code that is quite old (= mature)... Geoff says it has been tested extensively and that is good enough for me.

I am wondering if I missed a bit off the HEX when I copied the routine from the PDF or something. I have had odd instances of weird stuff happening in the past that was fixed by re-flashing, but everything else about this uM is spot on - it doesn't have that "feel" of a corrupt firmware.

A proper mystery that I am keen to get my teeth into - I will build up a test rig when it gets a bit quieter (never been busier, got four projects going out of the workshop this week) but for now I modded the PCB to use the hardware SPI... all working and on test with the customer.

h

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024