Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:49 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Need Help restoring Data from Dynamic DiscDrive

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:35am 28 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys and gals (some there?   )

I need help for not losing important stuff.

My PC completely broke down, no way to fix it and unfortunately my HDD was made dynamic, resulting from a former Raid on Win 7.

Now I cannot get the content processed on a new PC unless I apparently transformed it from dynamic back to basic format.

Does anyone (really having had this particular issue) know a reliable tool for support on Win 7 or 10?

It does not have to be free of charge unless it is really reliable and successful in transforming and saving all data (not deleting as Windows itself would do), but of course any free or open source program if available can help as well.

Anything you can really recommend from your own practical experience?

I already have been searching for quite a while ...  
Andre ... such a GURU?

bigfix

Posted: 09:24am 28 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Never used dynamic drives myself - my rule is to keep it as simple as possible

All common wisdom says dynamic to basic means data loss ...

But Easeus has a good reputation as a tool  and a procedure which may work

Dynamic to Basic conversion

Blame Easeus if it eventually fails - not me
But as you have a current backup for sure , there is no risk anyhow

cheers
Guenter
Edited 2020-05-28 19:46 by bigfix

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 10:47am 28 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guenter,

usually I do not use them either, it just was my first and only tryout of windows raid and I just missed what generally happended to the HDDŽs and its further impact.

Now I generally store all important data externally via USB-Docking-Station in parallel, just to keep it simple myself.

And of course I have corresponding backups, but the problem always is that if it can break down then it will do so right the day or second before you scheduled the next backup.

So I miss some percent of data.

What I also changed for improving is having some USB-Sticks running parallely, just pasting all being necessary over, right in between.

But coming back to this damned particular issue, I already read about Easeus and also found Aomei, but if still someone could give me some more personal related prospect concerning those or any other program, it could help me finding a final decision.
Andre ... such a GURU?

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 11:50am 28 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

it does look like you can access 'dynamic' formatted HDDs using linux. if nothing else works, you may wish to download a bootable linux distro (live USB), boot from the USB and retrieve that data that you have not backed up previously. one such distro is linux mint:
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
this will boot you to a fully functional linux from the USB flash drive from which you can proceed with recovering your data.

type linux mount dynamic disk into google for more information, the second result that came up for me looked hopeful:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/869770/how-to-mount-dynamic-disks-partition-on-ubuntu

if you dig a little you should be able to find a 'recipe' that consists of a series of simple command-line steps that you can just follow verbatim.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:02pm 28 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi rob,

thanks sounds promising to me, though I have no experience with Linux at all yet.

But I found some more corresponding information, also concerning different linux distributions.

IŽll keep this in mind in case I cannot find something "easier" for me particularly first, at least or last this will be a good reason for generally starting up with linux!

Sorry:
at least but not last ...  
Edited 2020-05-28 22:12 by Poppy
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:42am 29 May 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  it does look like you can access 'dynamic' formatted HDDs using linux. if nothing else works, you may wish to download a bootable linux distro (live USB), boot from the USB and retrieve that data that you have not backed up previously. one such distro is linux mint:
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
this will boot you to a fully functional linux from the USB flash drive from which you can proceed with recovering your data.

type linux mount dynamic disk into google for more information, the second result that came up for me looked hopeful:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/869770/how-to-mount-dynamic-disks-partition-on-ubuntu

if you dig a little you should be able to find a 'recipe' that consists of a series of simple command-line steps that you can just follow verbatim.

cheers,
rob   :-)

SOLVED!

Booting LINUX was just the easiest way!

No command-lineŽing, just booting (some louder from DVD) then copy and paste.

Andre ... such a GURU?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024