Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:30 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Idle curiosity about internal stack space

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 09:15am 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MM Mk2 44pin '170

Never had this error before; When MMBasic complains "expression is too complex" what are the causes here? I suspect it is stack space etc. in the shunting yard of the expression evaluator but could one of the MMBasic gurus please provide some insight on the limits?
[532] Local Integer s,n,m,f
Error: Expression is too complex

That looks like I was right on the limit and grabbing another 256 bytes just pushed it over the edge.

I found this post which seems to underpin the assumption where stack space had been increased (V5.2) to reduce the occasions of this error.

I have a load of date manipulation functions that make things really easy but I got that error in the middle of a compare where I was reducing two strings to their Epoch/Unix times to compare them, So I was already heavily into the stack of the expression evaluator when it got hit again with a fairly complex function and then yet again with the same function all inside brackets,  e.g. something like
IsDST=Not(UnixTime(d$)<UnixTime(FindLastSunday(d$)))

and MMbasic just went off into a corner and started rocking back and forwards in the foetal position, sucking its thumb, twiddling its hair and making strange mewing noises.

My guilty secret here is
> ? mm.ver
for operational reasons - it seemed (to me at any rate) to be the last rock solid version before a run of hiccups in 5.05xx that were fixed with a change that meant blowing out VAR SAVEd data when uploading new software.

I am just curious. I have never had this before and I must confess I was kicking the arse off the poor little blighter, but it triggered an amount of work-around that made things a bit more complicated than I had hoped. Still, got there in the end, just not as tidy as it could have been.

Sometimes I need to pinch myself and remember these are micro-controllers. Still blows me away what I can get this single chip to do. I look at completed projects that have a tiny board a '170 and a handful of resistors and think "is that it?"

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:19pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
I suspect it is stack space etc. in the shunting yard of the expression evaluator

(Just from interest, I don't have knowledge of the source) Does the MMBasic expression evaluator use the shunting yard algorithm ? I thought the lexers, parsers etc mainly used for the Basic interpreters used a different method (?)

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 01:06pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Z

I don't know either, just a guess...

I have written a couple of expression evaluators over the years and each one had a shunting yard to boil conventional infix, "algrebraic" expressions to reverse polish notation (computery stack-based maths). It was easy and very quick. If you get into the machine routines and the maths pack uses a stack to process either the top or top two numbers, bet your last penny it uses a shunting yard to get to that there from algebraic expressions. Watch someone prove me wrong now  
Edited 2020-06-30 23:07 by CaptainBoing

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:58pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This error basically says that the interpreter has overflowed its stack (this is the C stack).  The way the expression evaluation algorithmic works is that it recursively calls itself and the most likely cause of a stack overflow is a very complex expression... therefor this error message when a stack overflow is detected.

There is not much that can be done about this.  The only fix is to increase the stack size which will reduce the amount of RAM available to a BASIC program and the last time that I did that it caused a huge outcry from some users who were using every byte of RAM.

zeitfest said  Does the MMBasic expression evaluator use the shunting yard algorithm ?

No, it is a home grown algorithm which I have not seen documented anywhere.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:50pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If it's essentially as per the Duinomite, I'd say recursive descent.

John

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:17pm 30 Jun 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, thanks - good head knowledge. I had worked around it anyway (by splitting the expression into three bits)

Not asking for a fix Geoff. I reckon it is fairly rare and easy enough to sort. Plus this is on 5.0408 and I wouldn't expect anyone to look after non-current software.

cheers

Bizzie

Posted: 11:35pm 01 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Just came across "Error: Expression is too complex" in some fruits of the shed code:-

If you load up UnixTime and associated dependencies. The regex function will generate this error in the MatchChar sub IF running on a GCmicroboard2b BUT runs fine on a 170!

Solution is to break the offending line in two. eg

j=Instr(r+1,regex$,Mid$(text$,s,1))

break it up to :-

t$ = Mid$(text$,s,1)
j=Instr(r+1,regex$,t$)

and all's well.
Rob White

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:55am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is that a typo for CGmicroboard2b?

i.e. this board

Does it have a different MMBasic version, probably older than the on on the 170?  The stack was increased at some pint so maybe  newer version would be a fix.

John

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 07:00am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

you are in the same area I was when I found the same error.  I mostly use 170s and had no problems - starting to think I dodged a bullet.  

I did the same, broke a complex expression into bits with a variable. What I found interesting is that LOCALs are shoved on the stack too (example at the start of this thread) so that extra 256 bytes in t$ could be just as guilty. I suppose there is mileage in DIMing global variables as general workspace and using those where you can - of course this is asking for trouble with nesting... "here be dragons" warning seems appropriate.

The regex might seem a lot of overkill for the IsDate & IsTime but is makes things supremely easy to read and program, but boy does it kick things. Dates are always a pain, I wish we could all standardise on yyyy-mm-dd then all comparisons between strings could use < and > etc. The inner geek in me would like Epoch/Unixtime... but i don't reckon the rest of the world would go for it.

Do I win a bun for "Accidentally Complex Code Guaranteed to Run the Stack Dry"?  
Edited 2020-07-02 17:11 by CaptainBoing

Bizzie

Posted: 07:42am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are both running 5.0408 (according to ? MM.VER)

I was surprised that's why I posted.

I wanted to use UnixTime to save on file/memory storage and to simplify sorting.
Rob White

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:52am 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

they are on different platforms so is it possible there will be slight differences in the compiled MMBasic firmware(?).

that's my guess
Edited 2020-07-02 19:29 by CaptainBoing

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:49pm 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  
What I found interesting is that LOCALs are shoved on the stack too (example at the start of this thread) so that extra 256 bytes in t$ could be just as guilty.

what?! that is a really bad way of doing it - please, someone tell me this is not so.

local variables should be implemented something equivalent to the below:
Sub mysub
 Dim myvar(1000) As integer
 ' [do some stuff in here]
 Erase myvar
End Sub

cheers,
rob   :-)

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:55pm 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  what?! that is a really bad way of doing it - please, someone tell me this is not so.

Its not so

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 06:14pm 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

really? why the error at a declaration I wonder? Shared memory (with the stack)?

[532] Local Integer s,n,m,f
Error: Expression is too complex

Edited 2020-07-03 04:14 by CaptainBoing

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:21pm 02 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  really? why the error at a declaration I wonder? Shared memory (with the stack)?

parsing the command uses the stack as various C subroutines are called. You just happened to hit the stack limit on the variable declaration.

All variables are created on a MMBasic specific heap created and managed by the MMbasic firmware and unrelated to the C heap which isn't used.

#define RAMEND          ((unsigned int)&_stack - (unsigned int)&_min_stack_size)
void TestStackOverflow(void) {
 register unsigned int msp asm("sp");
 if(msp < (unsigned int)RAMEND)
     error("Expression is too complex");
}

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024