Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:37 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Wolfenstein 3D for CMM2

Page 1 of 2    
MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:57am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello!

Here is a video of my new demo for Colour Maximite 2: Wolfenstein 3D.

Soon I will publish the source code here. I want to at least implement some enemies to bring a little fun ;)

GregZone

Posted: 04:23am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Awesome stuff Mauro!

So, have you coded this in MMBasic basically from scratch (ie. not a port of some other versions code?).

Are you using existing graphic resources you've found (eg. from wolfenvault), or did you also re-draw / re-design the graphic resources from scratch?

Amazing work either way!  I'm just trying to understand how you have approached this immense coding challenge?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:01am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Mauro, all honour to your efforts as yet, but ...

... what a waste of time and effort ... for this stupid Nazi-Dreck!

There were better games, like THIS ONE!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:18am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great stuff Mauro  

This brings back memories of wasted hours chasing around the castle's corridors. I'm looking forward to playing the finished version.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 08:41am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This game containing pictures of Hitler and Hakenkreuze (swastikas) is adverse to the german constitution and therefore can bring innocent german users individually into big trouble if this was included into any official download pack.

As a worst case the whole CMM2-Project could get blocked within Germany!

And it is simply primitive for being just violent and can directly address any Nazi-Scum around!

It might be computable but not reputable!

Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 10:31am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just checked up the legal basis ...

The one who even "downloads" (or generally "imports", so even by copy&paste) this game living in Germany has the risk to get a monetary penalty or jail up to 3 years.

So anyone can decide for himself!

If anyone being interested in deeper digging ... there are some interesting new probably liberating aspects, but they actually do not influence this issue at all, in my opinion, but at last a sentence will decide individually.

And this game still is a peace of sh*t, but that is my personal opinion!

So, dear Mauro, why wasting time for this, I also think the CMM2 can technically do much better.

Andre ... such a GURU?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:51am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Might pay to remove the swastikas.

I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D when it was released by ID software back in the early 90's. Later ID released Doom, and there was a swastika in one of the maps, if you knew where to look. They copped a bit of flak about it, and a official update to Doom removed the swastika.

Times change.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:07am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said  Might pay to remove the swastikas.

I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D when it was released by ID software back in the early 90's. Later ID released Doom, and there was a swastika in one of the maps, if you knew where to look. They copped a bit of flak about it, and a official update to Doom removed the swastika.

Times change.

The original Wolfenstein was available in 2 Versions the US with symbols (and therefore not in Germany) and the german without any originals.

Now there is an open discussion if the usage within computer games is generally equal to films, just compare Indiana Jones, the movie, but this depends on the individual value, that is what the legislation defines with social adequacy.

Does it have any explicit value for arts or history?!

So, the easiest way is to avoid any useless provocation or it would just not be supporting the CMM2 itself!
Andre ... such a GURU?

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 11:11am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

... one thing I forgot, apart from all that Nazi-stuff the game can still be indexed concerning its violent content, so not allowed under 18!

These are just 2 different issues!
Andre ... such a GURU?

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:53am 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Sorry Mauro, all honour to your efforts as yet, but ...

I'm really sorry, Poppy.

Out of respect for Germany people, I will remake some arts by myself to solve this in the next version, ok? Even if some users bother me about this, I think you right.

I updated the video description on Youtube about it.
Edited 2020-07-06 22:00 by MauroXavier

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 12:07pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GregZone said  Awesome stuff Mauro!

So, have you coded this in MMBasic basically from scratch (ie. not a port of some other versions code?).

Are you using existing graphic resources you've found (eg. from wolfenvault), or did you also re-draw / re-design the graphic resources from scratch?

Amazing work either way!  I'm just trying to understand how you have approached this immense coding challenge?

At the start of development, I based on a QBASIC very well optimized code, but I'm not finding the original author of it, only another guy that changed some things, because I want to give some credit to him. I optimized more yet and changed somethings to adjust do the CMM2 capacity. I believe that has 10% of the code in the actual game.

The graphics resource are from the original Wolfenstein, but as Poppy explained, I think I have to change somethings out of respect for Germany people.

This game currently is the most challenging code that I made in BASIC.

Here is where I downloaded the initial core of the game:
https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~horie/project2.html

Search for "NEW fast Wolfenstein-like textured raycasting engine in pure QB". But as the site author said, this code is from "other cool people", but doesn't give a name.

But when I used this code with the pixel by pixel texture in software, the best that I could do is a 16x16 texture. The current RESIZE_FAST implementation it's what made it possible to use 64x64 texture as the original game. (Thanks to matherp!)
Edited 2020-07-06 22:16 by MauroXavier

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:51pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  
The graphics resource are from the original Wolfenstein, but as Poppy explained, I think I have to change somethings out of respect for Germany people.

Although I think it is legal in the rest of Europe (outside Germany) there is still a lot of sensitivity about this part of history in many European countries. Even earlier this year there was a political discussion about publishing "Mein Kampf" as e-book in translation.

I personally don't mind. War is over. We are 75 years further in time. Let's worry about things that happen today, and cope with these first.
Edited 2020-07-06 23:11 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 02:36pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  
  Poppy said  Sorry Mauro, all honour to your efforts as yet, but ...

I'm really sorry, Poppy.

Out of respect for Germany people, I will remake some arts by myself to solve this in the next version, ok? Even if some users bother me about this, I think you right.

I updated the video description on Youtube about it.

Hi Mauro,

please donīt feel offended personally!

I am just questioning and pointing out traps, though this specific game generally makes no sense to me (so therefore in my individual opinion it is just a waste of time and great effort of yours!), but that does not matter at all concerning this issue.

This is no "emotional" issue for me, it is strictly juridical and therefore probably harming this project generally.

There would still be another point!

No German can simply link to such a demo or probably even the whole Youtube channel containing this without the risk of getting a penalty, the german law is in round terms about this.

SO there would be a problem with further promotion for the CMM2.

And donīt forget that the code can easily be changed for a complete different aim.

Andre ... such a GURU?

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:57pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  please donīt feel offended personally!

SO there would be a problem with further promotion for the CMM2.

And donīt forget that the code can easily be changed for a complete different aim.

I'm not offended at all, I understand the situation.

I don't want any problem with the promotion of the CMM2 in Germany or another country that is sensitive. The main goal is to extend the CMM2 to the world.

Yes, I know that this code can be easily changed to another game or theme, but really I want to make the most famous "father of raycaster" (not considering Catacomb 3-D). I think it's a notorious game to attract the attention of curious people, and it's a personal wish develop it too.

But if with all my "fight with code" the game doesn't keep a good performance, then probably I will anticipate the development of a Dungeon Crawler in "3D" and unfortunately forget Wolf3D as a viable version for CMM2.

abraxas

Posted: 04:41pm 06 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, having some Jewish roots in my ancestry and seeing the swastikas really makes this an offputting game for me too...

Textured 3D world game sounds great... but without nazi symbols all over, please.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 08:54pm 19 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Before anyone test it here are some limitations and known bugs:

- Itīs far away from an optimized game, some parts if you donīt choose auto graphic level can be slow as hell!

- Enemies can in rare occasions trespass walls

- Have fun, you canīt die yet!

- The doors donīt have depth in the middle of the wall as the original game

- The secret passages donīt move as the original for the same limitation as to the doors (but it works!)

- Objects and enemies can appear after or before the walls

- Enemies donīt have z-order yet to appear from back to front correctly

- In the last floor (9) when you kill the boss and go to the end, the game will show an error because there is an episode finish yet

- The Boss canīt pass through an open door sometimes

- There is no joystick support yet (waiting for my Wii classic controller)

- The shift key is an almost a must to move and rotates to the sides if you are not aiming an enemy, otherwise, the current slow speed can drive you nuts ;)

- You canīt custom the keyboard keys yet

- The enemies donīt have eight axis positions and doesnīt obey to the walking flow like the original game. They always see you from the front as many ports of the game

- The difficult level is not well balanced

- Iīm already said the game isnīt optimized yet?

Well, but what itīs done?? Here is:

- Can read any Wolfenstein stage exported from FLR format

- Brown guards, ss, dogs, officers and the first boss are almost full implemented

- I think the music is better than the original

- The textures size and resolution are preserved (64x64)

- Enemies can open doors and chase you

- I think itīs fun to play if you could ignore some speed constrains

- See the controls list, you can change window size with F5 and made it zoom with F6... And can have something like the resolution of Wolf3D from SNES or Gameboy

Here is my last version of Wolfenstein 3D to DOWNLOAD, TEST AND PLAY:
WOLF3D.zip

PS.: I remade some game arts as I said before, but there are other things that I will do better sometime.

PS2.: YOU MUST HAVE THE LAST BETA FIRMWARE TO PLAY THIS!
Edited 2020-07-20 06:54 by MauroXavier

Poppy

Guru

Posted: 12:25pm 20 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mauro,

now apart from this issue, what do you think about THIS GAME

Do you know it from then?

Wouldnīt those columns be technically more interesting than floating walls?
Andre ... such a GURU?

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 01:09pm 20 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Poppy said  Hi Mauro,

now apart from this issue, what do you think about THIS GAME

Do you know it from then?

Wouldnīt those columns be technically more interesting than floating walls?

This game is technically what in that age was possible to do on a 1 Mhz machine, but I think those columns technically aren't impressive, neither at that age.

When I was young, about 10 years old, I made a similar 3D maze game on my MSX 1 with a reasonable smooth scroll (not so smooth because the VDP of MSX1 has some limitations).

Today with new techniques even a raycast is possible on the C64 without any expansion, what for me this is really impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Oqz5WjDPI

This another one is a little strange, but I think it is impressive too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxFmmGJ3ZA

My target now is developing a full version of the Wolfenstein 3D for the CMM2 entirely in MMBasic without CSUB, but with a good speed (that is the challenge!). This is a great mix of pain and pleasure ;)
Edited 2020-07-20 23:12 by MauroXavier

abraxas

Posted: 11:30pm 20 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  

When I was young, about 10 years old, I made a similar 3D maze game on my MSX 1 with a reasonable smooth scroll (not so smooth because the VDP of MSX1 has some limitations).

(......)

My target now is developing a full version of the Wolfenstein 3D for the CMM2 entirely in MMBasic without CSUB, but with a good speed (that is the challenge!). This is a great mix of pain and pleasure ;)

When I was 10 I made an almost working version of snake in ZX Basic running at 1fps...

Hear you about the mix of pleasure and pain coding on the CMM2. The Boulder Dash engine is coming along even though I've been mum about it for a while. I rewrote quite a bit since the last post and will make a new topic when I put a few more features. Should be complete enough to run the first cave of the original game.
Edited 2020-07-21 09:32 by abraxas

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 12:13am 21 Jul 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

abraxas said  Hear you about the mix of pleasure and pain coding on the CMM2. The Boulder Dash engine is coming along even though I've been mum about it for a while. I rewrote quite a bit since the last post and will make a new topic when I put a few more features. Should be complete enough to run the first cave of the original game.

Very good to know that we will have a port of Boulder Dash to our CMM2!

I never doubted that you could make a good port of Boulder Dash by yourself. Some little dose of passion is a must to make some types of things in a developer life because we always have to surpass a challenge that in the first contact appears to be greater than us, but the persistence to learn is the key to success.
Edited 2020-07-21 10:14 by MauroXavier

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024