Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:23 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Not a proposto free up command slots- Don't kill me just thinking! ;-}

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 12:05am 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have seen it stated that we are out of command slots and then I saw that in the case of WII Numbchuck and Classic it seemed like subcommands where use to make that work. I think that is what that was done with the Maths commands structure, maybe not.  

I know I may be crucified for bringing this up.  In RFO Basic for Android for example, they use a two caracter prfix command + .subcommands scheme and I remember the author saying it was that command slots was the reason for this structure.  The graphics commands are all gr.point gr.circle etc. The BlueTooth are Bt.  Would this approch make more command slots available without performance hist or am I not understanding how MMbasic works, witch is very likely.  If that was done it would be easy to convert any current code by adding the prefixes. before subcommands.  I am so intreged by the structure of MMBasic.  If something like this would really adversely effect performance because of parsing overhead than it would not be advisable.  I'm Just wondering.  I am not even proposing this change.  EDIT: I was editing the title and it posted spontanously What was the all about.  It should have read "Not a proposal to free up command slots."
Edited 2020-08-03 10:09 by mclout999

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:11am 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You are making the incorrect assumption that I want more command or function slots  

The limit is a useful restriction to control the risk of continuously expanding functionality with a limited userbase for any particular requirement

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 01:58pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  You are making the incorrect assumption that I want more command or function slots  

The limit is a useful restriction to control the risk of continuously expanding functionality with a limited userbase for any particular requirement

Cool.  I was just wondering about the philolphy of the project.  Are there any threads about the design and goals.  I love it as it is but I am alway interested where things started and how they developed.  I was interested in the 8bit Guy's project but it is going a whole different way than I thought it would.  Have you seen the massive prototype system they are developing for a rather limited 6502 system?  It's a PC sized system running at 1000 times slower.  They are also very closed to paeons like me and others giving any feedback. The delete threads of livley discussions without notice.  It was odd and I lost intersest.  This project is much more like the way it was when I was a kid and going to SIG computer meetings(S100 Rigs at first. I built a Altar like system)  where everyone's input was valued.  I think this is a excellent project and a great community. Thanks for your input and the wonderful and very responsive work you do.

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 04 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  
Cool.  I was just wondering about the philolphy of the project.  Are there any threads about the design and goals.  I love it as it is but I am alway interested where things started and how they developed.

This thread. Seeking Games Programmers gave me a bit more idea of how it developed.

I'm not sure how much of the announcement thread https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=12105&PID=145874#145874  I've read, and it's pretty long at this point. So I'm not sure if much of it is about what you are asking.
Edited 2020-08-05 09:42 by capsikin

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:19am 05 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For completeness, be sure to have a good read through

https://geoffg.net/

including at least Maximite & Micromite pages.

John

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024