Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:29 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 in RETRO LIVERY

OA47

Guru

Posted: 11:09am 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a collection of NOS(New Old Stock) AT cases in the shed and decided to house my CMM2 in a baby AT desktop chassis to give it the classic retro feel. I chose the AT format case as it can provide the height needed to house the CMM2 board vertically. I wanted to keep all of the functionality and not modify the current format as much as possible. I was able to get access to the SD card and Nunchuk ports at the rear. I Have the SD led, PWR led and RESET button on the front panel and made a back plate to present the USBhost, Audio and VGA connectors.I have used the original AT power supply as I wanted to utilise the front power switch to also control power to the monitor. The Power/Console USB is connected to the 5V supply.

I found an appropriate beige monitor which had inbuilt amp and speakers as well as a beige USB keyboard to match the theme.

OA47

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just loved it your idea!

Here are some pictures of what I did with my first CMM about two years ago:

My original CMM have two SNES Control ports and one SN76489 sound chip, but today with our almighty CMM2 none of this is necessary anymore  

Atomizer_Zero

Posted: 12:35pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very cool projects! I'm highly tempted to do something similar.
If only I had the space for yet another computer xD

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mauro,

From the outside it looks dandy .... inside is "functional".
Nice you used the old front panel ...

I am surprized to see that the hotglue holds the keyboard in place... After so many hours of programming.

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:44pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Labor of love. Too cool.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:50pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My CMM1:

And.....In use by my grnddaughter, playing Mauro's Gauntlet

Edited 2020-08-03 23:06 by Volhout

abraxas

Posted: 01:58pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout, this is very nice. What is the keyboard you used for this project? Do you have instructions posted somewhere on building this?

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:09pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi abraxax,

The keyboard is an old Fujitsu Siemens PS2 keyboard I bought for E0.50 on a flea market, and cleaned. The building instructions are simple:

- buy a keyboard that is sufficiently high (a very flat keyboard cannot incorporate the VGA connector, the highest part of this version of my CMM1 board (a CGcolormax2).

- Open it up, and plug it into the CMM1 to write down what color wire connects to what pin of the PS2 connector on the CMM1. Remove the cable from the keyboard.

- Place the CMM1 at the best location in the keyboard (that depends where the PS2 microcontroller board resides, most cases it is below the capslock LED's).

- start marking where the cutouts in the rear of the keyboard should come, and dremel the cutouts.

- make a hole in the bottom, where you can insert the SDcard when the keyboard is closed.

- connect the PS2 PCB to the CMM1 PCB with 4 wires, as written down above.

- hotglue the CMM1 board in the case.

- screw it together (or click). Done....

Volhout
Edited 2020-08-04 00:10 by Volhout

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:35pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  hi abraxax,

The keyboard is an old Fujitsu Siemens PS2 keyboard I bought for E0.50 on a flea market, and cleaned. The building instructions are simple:

- buy a keyboard that is sufficiently high (a very flat keyboard cannot incorporate the VGA connector, the highest part of this version of my CMM1 board (a CGcolormax2).

- Open it up, and plug it into the CMM1 to write down what color wire connects to what pin of the PS2 connector on the CMM1. Remove the cable from the keyboard.

- Place the CMM1 at the best location in the keyboard (that depends where the PS2 microcontroller board resides, most cases it is below the capslock LED's).

- start marking where the cutouts in the rear of the keyboard should come, and dremel the cutouts.

- make a hole in the bottom, where you can insert the SDcard when the keyboard is closed.

- connect the PS2 PCB to the CMM1 PCB with 4 wires, as written down above.

- hotglue the CMM1 board in the case.

- screw it together (or click). Done....

Volhout

This was a very nice project.  I started a thread about this concept and here I see you have done a very good example of it.  We will have to wire the USB directly on the CMM2 but that is very doable, except it will kill our ability to do fast firmware updates over that port to the PC. I wonder if there is a way to switch of the internal USB connection so the link cable will work! We could just shorten the USB cable on the KB and plug from the outside but that would look kind of jerry-rigged. This give me things to think about.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 03 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  I am surprized to see that the hotglue holds the keyboard in place... After so many hours of programming.

I used hot glue and screws too.

Womble

Posted: 09:11pm 04 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very Cool  

I like, keep up the good work guys.

HellbentHorse

Posted: 03:41am 05 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What great projects, well done all!

Can't wait to get my CMM2 on back order, then maybe see about a all in one housing with a mechanical keyboard.. one can dream.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024