Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:34 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sound on the Color Maximite 2

Page 2 of 2    
MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:32pm 17 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

capsikin said  I don't know about the format of the PSG files though, or how to make PSG files with good sounds.

You can use any VGM file that is for the SN76489, but some machines use other clocks like the BBC Micro or some arcade machines, then it must adjust in the PSGLib what clock is used for play in the correct frequency.

If you want good VGM files that are very compatible, get them from games for SEGA Master System:
https://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs

Some games use this sound processor to complement sound, like the YM2612 from SEGA Mega Drive / Genesis. If you download VGM from this console you will listen to only to the PSG sounds but not the FM.

In the case of NES 2A03, the compatibility is very low, about 20% of VGM files play correctly, this is because the simulation is focused only to play the basic implementation with some registers and wave types, like the triangle, pure square and squared with variable cycles using sawtooth waves to simulate them, and finally, white noise with sound approximation. The most noticeable absence is that doesn't have any DPCM sound implementation, unfortunately.

For the future, I want to implement the sound chip AY-3-8192 too.

A good approach to consuming less CPU could be to convert the VGM files to another file that is the frequencies already converted without any sound chip simulation. Maybe I develop a converter someday.

You can create good SN76489 music using the DefleMask Tracker (which is very good!) or the SnevenTracker (which I not used yet).

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:15pm 17 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Typo in the above URL for VGMs, should be
https://www.smspower.org/Music/VGMs

John

capsikin
Guru

Posted: 04:11am 19 Aug 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the VGM info.

A good approach to consuming less CPU could be to convert the VGM files to another file that is the frequencies already converted without any sound chip simulation. Maybe I develop a converter someday.

TassyJim has a converter from QBasic sound strings to DATA statements for arguments to PLAY TONE. That's a simpler system though.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024