Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:55 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Ribbon to breadboard breakout - I made a thing

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 07:20pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use my CMM2 with a ribbon to breadboard adapter (a Ras PII one).  As per the manual, I needed to manually "adjust" the keyway so that ribbon cable pin outs match the CMM2.

All good stuff - and works a treat. See image below.

However, as the labelling of the pins is Pii specific and I didn't like the fact of hacking the IDC header.  So I fired up EasyEDA, and designed a new one... I sent the finished PCB to PCBWay and 8 days later x10 of these beauties arrived:

All lovely silk printed and with the IDC header on the right way round..

But in my haste, I designed using a 2mm pitch IDC header as opposed to 2.54mm pitch.  So -- I need a "solution" or "fudge" take your pick...

Option 1:  Ribbon cable with 2.54mm and 2.00mm headers (not sure this will work due to the different pitches - I presume I would need to use 2.00mm ribbon cable)

Option 2:  Design and manufacture a 2.54mm male socket into a 2.00 female socket adapter - not difficult -- to keep the cost down, I would probably need to solder them myself -- but will see what PCB Way will cost

Option 3:  Buy something -- but not sure what.  Cant find a 2.00 to 2.54mm ribbon cable but that would be ideal.

I have x10 of them to find a home for....

Nim
Entropy is not what it used to be

Womble

Posted: 11:21pm 22 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sweet design ... oops on the pin headers.

Massive kludge, but you could use Dupint Ribbon Cable and connect the dupont connectors to the pins on your adapter and use a vice to fit an ide connector on the other end.
Fiddly to setup, but would work.
If its for the kids to use, hotglue the dupont end in place so they cannot screw up the connections.

This video shows how you install idc connectors onto ribbon cable.  You can carefully disassemble an old IDE cable to savage the connector.

This technique can be used to reverse the connector on your Pi adapter cable.
Edited 2020-09-23 09:29 by Womble

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 06:44am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Womble said  Sweet design ... oops on the pin headers.

Massive kludge, but you could use Dupint Ribbon Cable and connect the dupont connectors to the pins on your adapter and use a vice to fit an ide connector on the other end.
Fiddly to setup, but would work.
If its for the kids to use, hotglue the dupont end in place so they cannot screw up the connections.

This video shows how you install idc connectors onto ribbon cable.  You can carefully disassemble an old IDE cable to savage the connector.

This technique can be used to reverse the connector on your Pi adapter cable.

Thank -- yes, for kids.

I managed to source 40pin headers in 2.00mm and 2.54 pitch and some 2.00mm pitch cable -- fingers crossed.

The DuPont cables are my fall back.

Not much hotglue, duck tape and a gin cant fix.

Nim

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:16am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Back in the distant past when HDDs were IDE, we had 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapters.
You would have to remove  some of the pins on the 2.5 side (or get a bigger hammer).

They would probable cost more that getting new boards made...

Some of them have a pin missing supposedly for keying but I am sure it's just to annoy us.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 08:10am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  Back in the distant past when HDDs were IDE, we had 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapters.
You would have to remove  some of the pins on the 2.5 side (or get a bigger hammer).

They would probable cost more that getting new boards made...

Some of them have a pin missing supposedly for keying but I am sure it's just to annoy us.

Jim

Now, that's an interesting beast >> I'll investigate.

Fingers crossed that I've manage to source some "samples" ;-)

Nim

Womble

Posted: 11:14am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue ...

Check the pitch before buying dupont cables.  I think the ones I linked above were 2.54mm.

These are 2.54mm (1P) on one end, and 2mm (2P) on the other

As Jim mentioned 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapters might solve your problem, something like this.  Some work with a multimeter to check the connections would be necessary in case some pins are not connected, or ar tied together.

However Jim is right, it might be better to get a v2 done by PCBWay with the correct connector unless you are in a hurry.

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 11:33am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Womble said  Nimue ...

Check the pitch before buying dupont cables.  I think the ones I linked above were 2.54mm.

These are 2.54mm (1P) on one end, and 2mm (2P) on the other

As Jim mentioned 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapters might solve your problem, something like this.  Some work with a multimeter to check the connections would be necessary in case some pins are not connected, or ar tied together.

However Jim is right, it might be better to get a v2 done by PCBWay with the correct connector unless you are in a hurry.

Appreciate the input -- have seen that there are two pitches of DuPont -- and of course all the 2.00mm ones are 6 weeks leadtime (plus its a faff!!).

Not in a hurry really -- v2 is under design at present --- honest motivation is to salvage the £50 this has cost --- but as my other half pointed out £50 is a night out that I'm not having at present AND:

(1) I learned how to use the EasyEDA to draw the PCB
(2) I successfully sent them to PCBWay
(30 They are nice quality

So, yea, V2 is probably the best way ;-)

That said, if I can rustle up for free some samples of headers and ribbon cable, I'll have a go for the shear crack of it.

Nim

Womble

Posted: 12:09pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Might be cheaper to order just V2 pcb's and a bag of pin header strips in the correct pitch and solder them yourself.
You don't need to use a housing on the ribbon cable connection, although it does help to avoid plugging it in the wrong way round.  Thats why IDE cables often have a blanked off pin.

Bare pcb's should be cheaper.

A blob of hot glue will stop mischevious kids reversing the cable.

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 01:03pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Womble said  Might be cheaper to order just V2 pcb's and a bag of pin header strips in the correct pitch and solder them yourself.
You don't need to use a housing on the ribbon cable connection, although it does help to avoid plugging it in the wrong way round.  Thats why IDE cables often have a blanked off pin.

Bare pcb's should be cheaper.

A blob of hot glue will stop mischevious kids reversing the cable.

Doh!!  Amazing how fixed mindset you get --- that is a great idea.  Cheaper and quicker.   Plus -- I can get the kids to solder....... ;-)

#sweatshopWales   ;-)

Nim

Womble

Posted: 01:10pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Whilst waiting for the bits to arrive, you will have time to write the "Elf & Safety Assesment" for the classroom sweatsop

The best one that I have ever seen was for my friends retail shop.  The staff H&S Statement says "It is the duty of all staff to remain healthy and safe at all times"  which met his statutory requirements as an employer.  

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Womble said  Whilst waiting for the bits to arrive, you will have time to write the "Elf & Safety Assesment" for the classroom sweatsop

The best one that I have ever seen was for my friends retail shop.  The staff H&S Statement says "It is the duty of all staff to remain healthy and safe at all times"  which met his statutory requirements as an employer.  

Mine is:

(1) Yes, eating it is bad
(2) Yes, its hot

Nim

Womble

Posted: 01:27pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nimue said  Mine is:

(1) Yes, eating it is bad
(2) Yes, its hot

Nim

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024