Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:06 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Minor complaint about CMM2 editor

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 11:47am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The CMM2 editor is really quite good, but there is one feature that always bugs me.

The editor screen has room for 48 lines. If you start on line 1 and do a Page Down, the cursor goes to line 96; that is, to the bottom of the second full page of text. If you do another Page Down, it goes to line 144, which is the bottom of the third full page. Continuing, each Page Down goes another 48 lines down.

But why does the first page down go twice as far, down to line 96, instead of to line 48?

The Page Up works in a similar way: the first Page Up goes up 96 lines, and then subsequent Page Up commands go up only 48 lines.

The "double" jumps are frustrating. Most text editors make a Page Down command move down to the bottom of the CURRENT page first, and then down a full page on the second command; and the Page Up command first takes you to the top of the CURRENT page before moving up a full page. This makes getting to a desired line convenient and much quicker than having to do a lot of arrow keys.

Just a nit.
-Bill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:54am 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+2, this is very irritating.
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:20pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Easily fixed check b14 when posted

RetroJoe

Posted: 12:24pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+3, and thanks for putting your finger on it. The jump is quite disorienting, especially when inspecting someone else’s code. The absence of line numbers in MMBasic (otherwise a massive blessing) compounds the orientation & cognition problem.
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

RetroJoe

Posted: 12:29pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Easily fixed check b14 when posted

Great news - always nice when a feature falls into the “low effort, high value” quadrant.

As a musician, I’m always looking for songs that sound great but are easy to play :)

twofingers
Guru

Posted: 12:31pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1

It also happens at the end of the file.
I would appreciate a half-page mode (eg Shift + Page Down).

Best regards
Michael

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote from Peter Mather: "Easily fixed check b14 when posted"

Wonderful news, thanks, Peter!

-Bill

RetroJoe

Posted: 12:38pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BTW, I concur with William’s “editor is really quite good” assessment, and it just “feels right” in the context of the CMM2 design.

I think this nav enhancement, and the “auto .bak” feature, will nudge it into the “really quite great” category.

The only other items on my wish list:

1) the ability to have multiple files open (e.g. to facilitate copying code)
2) a find and replace feature (e.g. to rename variables, esp. in older MMBasic code where numeric and string vars could have the same name)

RetroJoe

Posted: 12:41pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  Quote from Peter Mather: "Easily fixed check b14 when posted"

William, you can use the “Quote” link at the top right to create the quote boxes above (or, just add the QUOTE tags manually).

Cheers,

Joe P.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  2) a find and replace feature (e.g. to rename variables, esp. in older MMBasic code where numeric and string vars could have the same name)

You way do this in a slightly different way:
edit one instance of the text that that needs changing then select the changed test
then search for each instance of the text that that needs changing in turn and press Ctrl-V. This will replace the text with the stored buffer. Easier to do than describe. Its in the manual.
Edited 2020-09-23 22:58 by matherp

Bluescreen2001

Posted: 03:21pm 23 Sep 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I also like the editor very much. Syntax Highlighting on such a small system, great. The only thing I miss is auto identing. But maybe I only missed it because I didn't read the complete manual now.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024