Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:35 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Coming soon to CMM2: INTO THE DARKNESS

Page 1 of 2    
MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 05:22pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A new game is coming to our beloved CMM2: INTO THE DARKNESS. It's a pseudo 3D RPG with a dark atmosphere.

The main engine is almost done and it's a optimized version of my Wolf3D with some changes to make it more dynamic and to support some new graphical effects.
Here is two screens of the assets and gameplay. Some arts are based on mods from Heretic, Hexen and Daggerfall. For a while some assets will be almost the same as the originals, but I'm remaking all and in the future we will get a 100% original art. If any artist wants to join in, will be very welcome!

PS.: Don't worry about the FPS, when debug mode has enabled the game has severe slowdowns.

elk1984

Posted: 06:36pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking great!

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 06:52pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

BOAH! This is really fantastic!!! HERETIC is my absolute favorite game!!! Do you plan to create a clone of HERETIC? That would be really amazing!!!  

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow! Looks amazing.

John

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 07:16pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The intention is to have some resemblance of the Heretic and Hexen atmosphere, but as I canīt give the same action speed, then is when the Elder Scrolls Daggerfall atmosphere enters to fulfil the game style.

Quazee137

Guru

Posted: 08:49pm 12 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maruo some were I have on 8" disk an old game that ran under CP/M its called OUB.
The labyrinth had 10 levels and used text to draw the map as you wandered though it.
I believe is was 1st on a system at a college then they ported over to CP/M. I think
those doc's call it Minotaur not sure.

I will dig up the disk and manual. There was a tavern where you got your group
together to go into the labyrinth and as you did they gained increases in various
attributes and classes. I know there are many games that followed that concept but
it was the first that I had seen.

After seeing your early work on Wolf3D been thinking about how much FUN a 3D version
of it would be. Funny in thinking back to how the mind filled in the images from
the text much like reading a well written book.

one last though there is Minetest an open source clone of minecraft. May be just
do something like the early version. My Granddaughter uses minecraft like a
3D cad package. So may be could be a basic 3D cad than a game.
Would be fun to use it with a 3D printer hooked to the CMM2.
Edited 2020-10-13 06:51 by Quazee137

teamonster

Posted: 01:02pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've got loads of rock and wood textures that can be tileable. What sort of size/style are you looking for?
redoneheretictiles.zip

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:03pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, I appreciate any help!

About the tiles, it's preferable 64x64, but I accept any size. This weekend I will test 128x128 to see if the performance penalty worth it.

I'm searching for original tiles or based art that is not copyrighted or what I could use with the permission of the author (and obviously giving the credit).

I'm really focused on this game to be an "exclusive" one, then I want to make it at least 50% original, and the other 50% using free assets with no copyright or authorized for non-commercial use.

Currently, I expending my time more drawing some pixel arts than developing the game and enhancing the engine. If  I could get the majority of the graphics assets then I can back to focus on the development.

The main objective is to develop a game enjoyable to be played for the target public: the lovers of action dungeon games.

teamonster

Posted: 02:12pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can do. The ones that I sent you are copies at a higher res of original Heretic tiles, but I can do some new ones if you like.

What colour depth/pallete?

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 02:31pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use PNG with alpha channel, with the standard colour depth that Gimp gives at the moment of creation, what I believe that is something between 24 or 32-bit colour, but in anycase, the CMM2 will convert it to 16-bit at realtime.

Get this file to see exactly how I do to create the textures and objects:
textures_objects.zip

This is the file of the original art, then I export it to PNG to put in a video page or in BMP RGB888 when I use it to put in a framebuffer.
Edited 2020-10-24 00:33 by MauroXavier

Womble

Posted: 09:01pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TeaMonster

Welcome to the forum.  Give me a shout if you need to borrow a CMM2 or to discuss things Basic when you next pop over to visit  

I thought this might be your sort of project  

Krall

Posted: 09:43pm 23 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What in the world! That came out of the little CMM2 'retro box'? Awesome work!

teamonster

Posted: 03:03pm 24 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mauro - Thanks, I have that. I'm a Photoshop guy, but I can get around that.

128 pixels would be better. I'm going to put some stuff together tomorrow. Is that your entire tile set?

Do you use floor tiles, or is it like Wolf in that it uses a basic colour for floors and ceilings?

Womble - Thank you! I might bug you for a machine to test stuff with.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 03:13pm 24 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For now, Iīm not using any real textured floor and ceiling to keep the speed sustainable, then I made it using tricks that are far from perfect but the effect is convincing (and a little heavy to the CPU). I donīt know if I will keep it yet.

What I sent is my full tileset but I have other screens for enemies, weapons, fonts and other things.

Letīs concentrate on the tileset first as it is my main headache, then after if you wish, we can jump to other things.

teamonster

Posted: 03:16pm 24 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Will do. I'll get some tiles together at 64px after the weekend.
Edited 2020-10-25 01:17 by teamonster

teamonster

Posted: 03:23am 08 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is the tan series of tiles done over in a new style. I don't have a machine to test these on, so let me know if the art style is working.

Womble has a machine to test, but we are on lockdown at the minute where we live.

I have included some 128 tiles as well to test how they work and if different types of rendering of the tiles look better in game.

Let me know how you get on.

TM_08112020.zip

Womble

Posted: 01:49pm 08 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

As a very quick test/hack I inserted a few of TeaMonsters tiles into Wolf3d and took a screenshot.

Obviously these will probably look better in the new engine.

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 04:32pm 08 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remade almost all textures and changed some objects. The majority of them are freely distributable, based on other games or based on artworks licenced as CC0 or Public Domain.

There is yet a few textures and objects to be removed as contains a piece of conceptual arts that are from commercial games, and I believe with your help I can finally remove all pieces of commercial artwork.

After I close the artwork, then I will make a screen with all credits. As not is defined yet, I will not make this screen as there are too many things to change.

The engine in the current state itīs severely affected because this stage of development itīs focused on fix any bug. The screen space was smaller than I expected and the slice of raycast I changed from 4 to 8 pixels, what turned the perspective of textures uglier.

All of this I will ignore until reach a totally stable game engine, after that I will run against the slowdown points.

All objects are now rendered in a custom size for each object, what speed up the things, but a fully functional z-buffer method to all objects, enemies and particles are consuming more performance that is expected.

Here is the current artwork from textures, particles, objects and enemies:
tmp.zip

The objects will not work in Wolf3D anymore, but when I reach a mature state of the INTO THE DARKNESS, I will backport the enhancements to the Wolf3D engine.

Womble

Posted: 05:13pm 08 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@MauroXavier

Many thanks for your excellent work on this, I look forward to seeing the end product.

Womble

teamonster

Posted: 05:39pm 08 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you let me know what bits of artwork need to be replaced, I can get some tiles or characters done for you.

Give me a list of characters and/or tiles and I'll get something done.

TM
Edited 2020-11-09 03:46 by teamonster

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024