Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:38 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Demystefiyng .Mod a little...

TweakerRay

Posted: 03:21pm 17 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So I have played a little with that programm "OPEN MPT"

Here is my first Test mod file ... nothing to spectacular... but I figured out a few things which could help if you do your own mod files...

1. The instrument samples are in 8484 hz (if you want to have them on the correct note)

So if you sample your instrument and want that they sit on the correct Note you have to sample a C and put it on that frequency with resample...

for that you could use a free wav editior called "Wavosaur" for instance.

https://www.wavosaur.com/

So I did sample my instruments in 48.000 Khz in wavosaur
recorded a C Note and then I used the Process option "Resample" and chose 8484hz
so the instrument sits on the correct Key

I used a amiga mod file and selected 4 additional channels so this has now 8 channels a few instruments and just 1 pattern for testing... the cmm2 seems to play this.

Maybe I get again into modplayer files ;-)

Module-test-1.zip

Cheers TweakerRay
http://tweakerray.bandcamp.com

RetroJoe

Posted: 05:39pm 17 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for this. Are you saying that mod trackers expect the fundamental frequency of the sample to be “C”? If yes, is that Middle C (i.e. 261Hz assuming a standard tuning of A440 )?
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

TweakerRay

Posted: 06:14pm 17 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Let me try to explain...

I just experimented in sampling my own sounds.
And wonderer when I loaded the sample that they are switched to that frequency at least in the amiga mod format.

The help file of Open MTP states that the sample should be in 48.000 khz and 24 Bit...

You can use what ever sample frequency you want but I tried 44.1 Khz and 16 bit and sampled a C on my keyboard and it was shifted when I played the C in the modplayer...

So I exspected the wrong samplerate shifted the C...

Next Example...

so for example if you open a new modfile (FILE ---> New ---> MOD

and then go to the samples Tab and you import a sample...
(in my example this is now a C sampled in 48khz and 16 bit)
Then you click the Comments Tab
and my sample is described as 465 KB / 16Bit and C-5 Freq = 8484 hz

So I assume that the c-5 Frequency wants to have a 8484 hz sample...
so if your sample is not that, then the sample will be shifted...

If I press now C8 in the mod player it is a F(sharp) played...

So to avoid that I thought why not give the mod player the exact samplerate it exspects on C-5 :-) which is 8484hz

Amd that worked for me ;-)

Does that clear the fog a little ? I hope... at least this helped in my case.
OpenMPT has a lot of other options to play with and different mod-tracker formats... there is also a resample option... I am not familiar with that programm so much - I just started to learn it ;-)

RetroJoe

Posted: 08:56pm 17 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kinda-sorta :)

I’m going to have to experiment some more - the samples I want to use are not ones I created myself, so I’m still not sure how to “bind” or “map” the raw sample to a specific note value.

Also, the MOD concept is intrinsically more confusing than MIDI; a note number in MIDI is an absolute thing, whereas the MOD file has some variability owing to the WAV’s sampling frequency versus its playback rate.

Anyway, I’m glad this “ancient MOD knowledge” is being reconstituted by the Maximite community. A month ago I had no idea what a MOD file or tracker was... so that’s some sort of progress :)

TweakerRay

Posted: 11:56pm 17 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think you can only MAP the instrument samples in a IT Umpulse Tracker Format...
But I am not sure if that can be played on the CMM2... because that is different mod format...

I knew in the time where i started with amiga 500 and Protracker I could use 4 channels
and with another tracker these could be split so you had 8 Channels. But you could not do panning. they had predefined pannings.

If you use samples you don't recorded yourself It might be hard to check out how to map the samples correctly. First you need to know what the sample has for a samplerate.
Then you need to know which note is played... after that I would try to at least get a C note somehow and resample simply to 8484 hz.
It will be more easy if you do your own samples. Also I think you could get into copyright issues (maybe not in the modtrackerszene) but using samples you don'T know where they came from is always a difficult place to work from... I don't like to use other samples and you could easily do your own with some free software vst's and just record them.

Mod files are very old school ... Its really 90's rave music ;-) you are so limited - I mean there are some cool tracker programs out there like RENOISE... and they are even not that expensive but I don't know if they support the oldschool .mod format.

I checked a few open source tracker programms and most of them don't work and the OpenMPT has midi support so you can at least play the notes via a midikeyboard

Still mod files are so limited because you can just play one sample at a time at one channel if you do the .mod format so if you want to play a chord on a channel you either have to play the notes in arpeggio (fast one note after another - or you have to sample a chord to play 2 notes at the same time)

Cheers TweakerRay

Womble

Posted: 02:43pm 20 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TweakerRay ... not sure if you spotted this information I posted some time ago:

Womble said  I found the following information on the mod file format:
MOD FAQ part 1
MOD FAQ part 2
Noisetracker/Soundtracker/Protracker Module Format

Regards

Womble

TweakerRay

Posted: 03:59pm 20 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much ! The 2nd part is especially helpfull !
Great share ! I have not seen that before. Much appreciated !  

Cheers TweakerRay

Womble

Posted: 04:08pm 20 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad to be of help

RetroJoe

Posted: 05:36pm 20 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@TweakerRay, thanks again, and @Womble, the FAQs are great!

I guess one reason the MOD scene is so funky and fragmented is because it was never subject to a standards body like MIDI, JPEG, etc, nor had widespread adoption like GIF and WAV, that while proprietary, emerged as de facto standards.

All and still, the MOD concepts are very clever - obviously a product of its time, but the fact that it’s still with us is a testament to its utility.
Edited 2020-10-21 07:21 by RetroJoe

RetroJoe

Posted: 02:27pm 24 Oct 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting “find” - in Part 2 of the MOD FAQ, Section [5], there is this line:

Quote   The Audio File Formats FAQ by Guido van Rossum...

Some of you may recognize Guido van Rossum’s name as the inventor of Python. The FAQ is dated 1995, and the first version of Python was released in 1991, but it’s only in the last 5-10 years that Python’s popularity has surged dramatically, largely owing to it being so versatile and expressive in the realms of data science, machine learning and AI.

I’ve lost count of how many people I know that have dual interests in computing and music, but here’s another example.
Edited 2020-10-25 00:27 by RetroJoe

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024