Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:15 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Serial Port?

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 03:08pm 30 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the manual it says that OPTION CONSOLE SCREEN will free up the serial port as COM3: but how can I use it as a serial port when the keyboard is plugged into one USB port and the power cord is plugged into the other one? Can it only be used with a PC and not a general RS-232 device?

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 03:28pm 30 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

But first: you can connect it to any device which will also power up CMM2 and communicate through serial. Second: you can use serial port for PC communication, when anyway the cable is (for somebody like me) connected to it for power.
And Napoleon Commander can then use it for serial copy without needs for any other cable...
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 06:02pm 30 Nov 2020
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The keyboard USB jack (type A) data lines connect directly to the main STM32 processor and are used in host mode to access the keyboard. As far as I know, no serial can be available there without changing the firmware - ain't gonna happen.

The power USB jack (type B) data lines connect to the PIC16F1455 chip, which acts as a serial to USB bridge. If you needed the COM3 serial port for another purpose, you could carefully remove the PIC16F1455 and get the 3.3 volt Tx/Rx serial signals from the appropriate pins of the now empty socket.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024