Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:19 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Raspberry Pi enters microcontrer game with a $4 Pico

Page 1 of 7    
lew247

Guru

Posted: 11:04am 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

taken from here
In many ways, the Pico is a well-appointed microcontroller board.
It has 26 3.3 V GPIOs, a standard ARM Serial Wire Debug (SWD) port, USB host or device capabilities, two UARTs, two I2Cs, two SPIs, and 16 PWM channels in eight groups.

RP2040 has a dual-core Cortex M0+ with luxurious amounts of SRAM 2MB of flash, USB connectivity, and nice power management
Edited 2021-01-21 21:19 by lew247

lew247

Guru

Posted: 12:07pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some interesting addons for this board available and more soon
https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/pico
vga/audi adaptor
quad expander

The big question is Could MM be ported to run on this board?

it's only 3.60 in the UK
Edited 2021-01-21 22:11 by lew247

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:46pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I saw it announced by Pi Hut earlier today and ordered one. Tried to order from a Canadian vendor, but they wanted $12 shipping for a $5 (Canadian) part. Cheaper to have it come from Great Britain.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

RetroJoe

Posted: 05:53pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting development - the crowded microcontroller market gets even more crowded.

The comments on the Hackaday article are quite vitriolic regarding the wholesale hoarding, gouging and scamming going on in the Raspberry Pi ecosystem.

I tend to agree - the barebones  Pi SBC is marketed as a $35 device, but you can't get one for anything like that price. Apparently the same is true for the Zero, and most likely will be for the Pico.

I have been dabbling with the ESP32 (via the TTGO VGA32) which appears to have a very vibrant Arduino-based community support, is a remarkable value (e.g. integrated WiFi and BT), and has a diverse and competitive supply chain that effectively eliminates price gouging.

MMBASIC on the TTGO VGA - now THAT would be something!
Edited 2021-01-22 04:47 by RetroJoe
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 07:01pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RetroJoe said  I have been dabbling with the ESP32 (via the TTGO VGA32)

I ponder that too from time to time - do I need yet another dev board toy?

Have you tried the TTGO with FabGL?
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 07:50pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

> Amaze your friends by showing them you still own a D-sub cable!

> Bask in the glory of 15-bit analog video!

> Get teary eyed over the warm, authentic, RC filtered PWM audio!

I cannot resist !  

> The big question is Could MM be ported to run on this board?

Is that really the end all ?
( I did imagine ( when I saw the "Pico" ) that perhaps
it had BBCBasic on RAM ) ....  
my site

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 10:20pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking at it briefly, the examples seem a bit python-centered so far. If it is the first silicon designed by the team I would expect a few revisions yet !! I would like to see C examples for handling interrupts, SD card, spi slave, etc, and can't find them so far.

BUT it is VERY cheap..

which brings up the "registered charity" status of pi, which implies assisted development in the UK. When does "hobby" become "product dumping" in contravention of WTO rules ? It is impossible to compete with products that are sold for giveaway prices, with assistance from foreign governments. Wonder what the EC thinks.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:56pm 21 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In Australia, it's $5.95 and $8 postage so not too bad.
Not as cheap but reasonably comparable with the Arduino nano clones for a complete board.
No analogue so the 28 pin PIC32 still holds up well.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:09am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  No analogue so the 28 pin PIC32 still holds up well.

Do pins 31-35 not provide what you want?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:18am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  
  TassyJim said  No analogue so the 28 pin PIC32 still holds up well.

Do pins 31-35 not provide what you want?

I should read things better!
3 at 12 bit so not too bad at all.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

RetroJoe

Posted: 07:24am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Have you tried the TTGO with FabGL?

Indeed I have - that Fabrizio dude seems to be the same sort of wizard of the ESP32 that Geoff, Peter and Mauro are on the MaxiMite. Both the Altair CP/M and VIC20 emulations in the FabGL library appear to be very solid and complete, and the Space Invaders clone is damn near perfect.

As far as hobbies go, springing $15 didn't seem too extravagant for a postage stamp device that has keyboard, mouse, VGA, SD, WiFi and BT support, and can faithfully emulate Z80 and 6502 computers and run arcade-style games. It's kinda mind-blowing, actually.

As far as I can tell, the only thing "missing" on the TTGO VGA32 is a full complement of ESP32 GPIO pins on the PCB, but it looks like a few of them are available as solder pads. That, and any proper documentation, but that seems to be the trade-off for all dirt-cheap Chinese gadgetry.

Fabrizio appears to be an Army of One at this point, so I don't know what the future holds, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone port MAME or RetroArch-style emulation cores to this thing, other classic 8-bit computer emulations (I'm pretty sure I saw Sinclair and Atari ESP32 stuff floating around...), and ideally a MaxiMite-style instant-on "bare metal" computer, but using MicroPython as the built-in interpreter. Hell, maybe I'll need to figure out how to do that :)

It's a great time to be alive for retro computing aficionados !!
Edited 2021-01-22 17:39 by RetroJoe

lew247

Guru

Posted: 09:13am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  I would like to see C examples for handling interrupts, SD card, spi slave, etc, and can't find them so far.

C++ SDK for the Pico

lew247

Guru

Posted: 09:38am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Arduino are making a version of this board with Wifi Bluetooth and 16Mb flash memory Arduino nano version

Arduino joins the RP2040 family with one of its most popular formats: the Arduino Nano. The Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect combines the power of RP2040 with high-quality MEMS sensors (a 9-axis IMU and microphone), a highly efficient power section, a powerful WiFi/Bluetooth module, and the ECC608 crypto chip, enabling anybody to create secure IoT applications with this new microcontroller.
The Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect will be available for pre-order in the next few weeks.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 09:52am 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[ ed- thanks lew ]

My impressions so far - (I can easily be wrong of course)
- interrupts are described but some routines look as though they are 16 bit and blocking,
- it looks like the "accelerated floating point" actually refers to optimised software math, don't know if it is IEEE compliant
- spi master examples are given but not slave, I guess the I/O modues would handle that further
- there is some sd card routines but they are in the "in development" section

Not sure if the Python version handles interrupts or not.

There is a coordinated marketing impetus - some suppliers had supplies ready to ship. Overall I am going to be cautious on it. Bit annoyed that I paid only to find  the "accelerated" math is software.

edit - the 12bit AD has a 9.5 bit caveat too.
Edited 2021-01-22 20:02 by zeitfest

IanT

Posted: 12:31pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, the Pico is about the same price here in UK as I'm currently paying just for a 28pin PIC32 chip and I'd probably use the Pico it ran MMB. I'm sure over time they will also be very well supported by third party accessories & expansion boards.

It would be a convenient, easily available and affordable (e.g. entry-level) controller board for anyone considering using MMB.

Of course, I'm wondering how easy it would be for Peter (he who doesn't seem to need any sleep) to port MMB to this chip, given that the issues he has had with the RPi's ever-changing Linux O/S won't be a factor here.

Regards,

IanT

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:32pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

FWIW IMHO

This chip is a dog. No floating point except S/W, no integer divide, only 32 bit multiply with 32-bit result (not even 64-bit result). Very limited subset of Thumb2 so lots of extra instructions for simple tasks

Other than the "Raspberry" name there is absolutely no reason I can see to use it over the ESP32 which is well supported and better in almost every aspect

IanT

Posted: 05:49pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I bow to your Wisdom Oh Mighty One!

Thank you sincerely for all your hard work - which benefits us all.

Regards,

IanT

RetroJoe

Posted: 06:04pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ian, it's not for nothing it's called the "Microcontroller and PC" forum :)

Thanks as well, Peter, for validating my intuitions about the ESP32.

I'm not an MCU guy, but it's a fascinating segment of the computing market.

lew247

Guru

Posted: 06:06pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's a shame the ESP32 can't have MM basic I guess it's because it can only run small displays and not the SSd's or vga/hdmi

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 22 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  It's a shame the ESP32 can't have MM basic I guess it's because it can only run small displays and not the SSd's or vga/hdmi

There's this VGA module (about which I know no more than that link reveals).

Page 1 of 7    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024