Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:55 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Yet another Clock

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 25 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I seem to be into clocks today   Here is the second one, a very simple Binary-Coded Decimal (BCD) clock.

The picture shows the displayed time of 15:59:32 (24-hour time). Each column is a single digit of the time, hours for the leftmost 2 columns, minutes for the middle, and seconds for the rightmost 2.

Each column shows the binary equivalent of the decimal digit for that column, with the 1's bit at the bottom (yellow), 2's bit above it (green), 4's bit above that (blue) and the 8's bit at the top (red).

Using constants at the top, you can choose not to display seconds, and also switch between 12-hour and 24-hour time.

Enjoy!
-Bill

BCDClock.zip

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 06:57pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I forgot to mention a little bit of history related to this clock. I first built a physical clock with this output in 1969 using surplus AT&T stepping relays. The mechanism weighed about 25 pounds! Just a couple of years ago, I reimplemented it using an Arduino Uno, which weighs a few ounces. Times change!

-Bill

cletus3x

Posted: 07:14pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  I forgot to mention a little bit of history related to this clock. I first built a physical clock with this output in 1969 using surplus AT&T stepping relays. The mechanism weighed about 25 pounds! Just a couple of years ago, I reimplemented it using an Arduino Uno, which weighs a few ounces. Times change!

-Bill

Awesome story Bill!  Thanks for sharing.

-George
CMM2 Demos:
Kit Cat Clock
BCD Clock Video

cletus3x

Posted: 08:28pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill,

Ran this one as well.  Nice work!

-George

BCD Clock Video
Edited 2021-01-27 06:29 by cletus3x
CMM2 Demos:
Kit Cat Clock
BCD Clock Video

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024