Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:54 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 - Welcome Tape

cletus3x

Posted: 02:24pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Backsheders,

I just wanted to give a huge shout out and thank you to Tom Williams et al for all of the hard work on the Welcome Tape.  I finally got the chance to update my firmware to 5.06 and load up the Welcome Tape 1.0 and give it a run.  I have been lurking for quite some time and wanted to take a look but just haven't had the time.  

This is simply fantastic work and really helps lower the barrier to entry and give provides motivation to do some work with the CMM2!  Even my wife thought it was cool and she often rolls her eyes at all of the different projects I have laying around.

Quick question though, the games don't seem to be working with my NUNCHUK, is anyone else having this issue or is it my wireless NUNCHUK?

So again, thanks Tom for driving this very cool effort!

-George
CMM2 Demos:
Kit Cat Clock
BCD Clock Video

RetroJoe

Posted: 02:46pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome, George ("Cletus 3X" feels like a hybrid between "Charlie X" and "Gary Seven" from the original Star Trek :)

Ditto on the kudos to Tom, and on the utility of the Welcome Tape as a "toehold" for new users. I confess I am the newbie whiner that Tom took pity on with "Version 0.1" sometime last year, and it's great to see him evolving and curating the Welcome Tape with new content from all the awesome community contributions.

I haven't run the Welcome Tape under 5.06, but the "wireless" in "wireless Nunchuck" seems like a yellow flag. The CMM2 generally doesn't like wireless peripherals, so if you have one, I would definitely try a wired Nunchuck as your first troubleshooting step.

Cheers, and happy Maximiting!
Edited 2021-01-27 00:53 by RetroJoe
Enjoy Every Sandwich / Joe P.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:17pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey George,

Thanks for the shout-out.

Quote  ... and load up the Welcome Tape 1.0.

For any of the old-lags who are watching I hadn't got around to publicising version 1.0.0. It is the first official-release linked from https://geoffg.net/maximite.html (thanks Geoff) and has identical content to the last beta (0.5.1.)

Quote  Quick question though, the games don't seem to be working with my NUNCHUK, is anyone else having this issue or is it my wireless NUNCHUK?

I've just grepped through the source and there is a simple answer, none of the content on the "Welcome Tape" supports any controller other than "Mandelbrot Explorer" which according to the source should work with Nunchuk, classic Wii controller or Mouse (but probably not the PS/2 support added in the firmware 5.07 betas.) Obviously this is an "oversight" and if anyone want to contribute some appropriate enhancements I'll roll them into a maintenance release.

RetroJoe said  ... and it's great to see him evolving and curating the Welcome Tape with new content from all the awesome community contributions.

Alas at the moment beyond routine maintenance the future development of the Welcome Tape is uncertain. In addition to the effort by the contributors it took a great deal of my own time (including taking annual leave especially) to pull it together, I'm not certain that I'm going to make the same effort again as there are other things on the CMM2 and hobbyist-electronics that I want to explore. So for the moment it is "complete", but just in case I have a change of heart I'm still maintaining a TODO list of sorts (https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome/issues/23) and will perhaps revisit in 6 months. In the meantime if anyone is inclined to have a go themselves they have my blessing to take a fork of my git repo: https://github.com/thwill1000/cmm2-welcome

On the plus side, expect me to publish a whole raft of "new" creaky old text adventures (relatively) soon thanks to the efforts of @Turbo64.

Kind regards,

Tom
Edited 2021-01-27 01:46 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

cletus3x

Posted: 03:52pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

RetroJoe said  Welcome, George ("Cletus 3X" feels like a hybrid between "Charlie X" and "Gary Seven" from the original Star Trek :)

Ha, never thought about that!  I use cletus3x as my middle name is Cletus and I am a Third. :)

I haven't run the Welcome Tape under 5.06, but the "wireless" in "wireless Nunchuck" seems like a yellow flag. The CMM2 generally doesn't like wireless peripherals, so if you have one, I would definitely try a wired Nunchuck as your first troubleshooting step.

RetroJoe, I agree! Why I made sure to say wireless. :)
CMM2 Demos:
Kit Cat Clock
BCD Clock Video

cletus3x

Posted: 04:06pm 26 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Alas at the moment beyond routine maintenance the future development of the Welcome Tape is uncertain. In addition to the effort by the contributors it took a great deal of my own time (including taking annual leave especially) to pull it together, I'm not certain that I'm going to make the same effort again as there are other things on the CMM2 and hobbyist-electronics that I want to explore.

Tom, this is exactly why I wanted to reach out.  I know how hard it must have been and you deserve some recognition for your efforts.  This kind of work will help the next generation get interested in coding and writing things on their own.  Can't wait until my kids are old enough and we can start doing some projects.  (Mine are ages 2 and 3.75 so I have some time)

I'm also glad it wasn't just me on the NUMCHUK :). I do have to find a wired on for further troubleshooting.

-George
CMM2 Demos:
Kit Cat Clock
BCD Clock Video

elk1984

Posted: 07:42pm 14 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Alas at the moment beyond routine maintenance the future development of the Welcome Tape is uncertain.

Thanks for all the work getting the Welcome Tape to the current level of maturity.  It's a great advertisement for the CMM2.  Is there any chance of linking it in cmm2.fun as well?
Edited 2021-02-15 05:43 by elk1984

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:04pm 15 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  Thanks for all the work getting the Welcome Tape to the current level of maturity.  It's a great advertisement for the CMM2.  Is there any chance of linking it in cmm2.fun as well?

Thanks for the thanks . To be honest I hadn't submitted it because I wasn't sure what category to use, you made that decision for me.

Best wishes,

Tom

elk1984

Posted: 08:12pm 15 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  
  elk1984 said  Thanks for all the work getting the Welcome Tape to the current level of maturity.  It's a great advertisement for the CMM2.  Is there any chance of linking it in cmm2.fun as well?

Thanks for the thanks . To be honest I hadn't submitted it because I wasn't sure what category to use, you made that decision for me.

Best wishes,

Tom

Sorry if I was premature there

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:22pm 15 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  Sorry if I was premature there

No worries, you prompted me to get of my (getting fatter) ass and do something about it.

Best wishes,

Tom

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024