Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:18 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Updating ESP-01 AT firmware

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:29pm 31 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Newly bought ESP-01 are still being shipped with very out-of-date firmware.

Getting to grips with programming them can be a pain so I offer this simple guide

First buy one of these off ebay etc.

Make sure it is exactly this version with the switch

Attached is a complete set of the files you will need including the programmer

flash_download.zip

Plug the ESP into the adapter and set the switch to "Prog". Plug the adapter into a windows computer.

Run the ESP8266flasher program and set up the configuration as in the picture substituting the correct paths for your computer

Then go to the operation tab and press "flash". One minute later and the job will be done
Edited 2021-02-01 04:36 by matherp

lizby
Guru

Posted: 06:43pm 31 Jan 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you very much for this. I've flailed a lot at this, settling for an older firmware version, but better than the shipped one.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:19pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was not able to flash several black (4Mb) ESP-01s with my version of the red flasher module shown. I succeeded with a modified ESP-01 flasher as shown here.

With an unmodified version of that module I was able to connect to my wifi. This version, 1.7, is the first I've found for which the AT+CIPSNTPCFG=1,-4,"us.pool.ntp.org" command works. AT+CIPSNTPTIME? then gives you the time: +CIPSNTPTIME:Sat Feb 06 11:06:00 2021. I'm not sure how it knew the correct time zone--perhaps from the IP address. (EDIT: Oops, it knows the time zone by the "-4" in the CIPSNTPTIME command)

Wish I knew why my red flashing module didn't work--bad module?

~
Edited 2021-02-07 01:20 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

romba6

Posted: 03:51pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting! I had 4 ESP-01s - all working @ v1.1.0.0, in fact I ran Matherp's weather program ok. I upgraded 3 to the latest, 1.7.4 using the above instructions, all upgraded successfully (I kept 1 back - just in case!!)
Although manually the AT+ commands seem to work, I get timeout errors on all 3 with the weather program....tried increasing the time values but no success at the moment. v 1.1.0.0 still works ok.

Did your flasher work with the switch set to UART on a terminal program? (115200 baud)

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

romba6 said  Did your flasher work with the switch set to UART on a terminal program? (115200 baud)

No. Didn't work either in PROG mode for flashing or in UART mode with an ESP-01 successfully flashed with the other module (that ESP-01 worked from my PC).

My first attempt with the newly flashed ESP-01 on an Armmite F4 failed--perhaps because the 3V3 from the F4 is insufficient to power it. I'll be trying again with 3V3 from an 18650 buck/boost module.

(EDIT: Connection to the internet (openweathermap.org) works on the F4 with 3V3 power to the ESP-01 from the 18650 3V3 pins.)

~
Edited 2021-02-07 04:39 by lizby

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:48pm 06 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using the flashing toll described by Peter looks easier than my homebrew flasher and the official flashing software. I often need several attempts to get the resetting right.

I have been playing with the ESP32 so I can use HTTPS. I need that to download from my website (as well as others).

The ESP8266 is still easier to use for most purposes. I wish they didn't change so many of the commands between the firmware versions!

I have found that openweathermap.org is not very accurate at my location. The barometric pressure is 18hPa high but move 60km east and it is close at 2 hPa low.

Humidity and temperature are suspiciously constant.

I will have to try some of the alternatives if I want to use the online services.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024