Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:00 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : M*Berto - a Q*bert clone

yock1960

Posted: 02:30am 19 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This still has a ways to go, with a number of glitches still and more features to add yet, but is playable...with a Wii Classic joystick only, at the moment.

I have never used sprites before, so this is outside my comfort zone...such as it is. And while I have played Qbert, I am no expert and I'm sure that there is and will remain, differences in gameplay.

The biggest issues currently are stray sprites after the occasional collision and a similar issue with incorrect background restoration. Currently, there are only two levels and I have yet to incorporate Wrongway and Ugg.

Let me know of any problems apart from these that you have and I'll see if I can fix them. This is running on firmware 5.07.00b16 on a non-waveshare 400mhz CMM2.

Steve

m-berto_a.zip

Deadreddreadhead

Posted: 11:05pm 19 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Yock1960, I hope you are well?

I haven't got a joystick at the moment so could not play it but your sprites looked cool!

I have just started to work with the MMC2 myself so early days for me to!

I am working through things step by step, I noticed you using the MOD files for sound. If you have time I would like to know how you go about implementing those and what you created the MOD file with? Are MOD files created from WAV samples or are they created with some sort of sound generator or other method?

Thank you.

yock1960

Posted: 12:23am 20 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Deadreddreadhead said  Hey Yock1960, I hope you are well?

I haven't got a joystick at the moment so could not play it but your sprites looked cool!

I have just started to work with the MMC2 myself so early days for me to!

I am working through things step by step, I noticed you using the MOD files for sound. If you have time I would like to know how you go about implementing those and what you created the MOD file with? Are MOD files created from WAV samples or are they created with some sort of sound generator or other method?

Thank you.

Hi Red,

The sprites I found on the web. I started out making them myself from online images, but then found the .png files and I took the easy road. Same with the sound files, except I had to...or rather decided to convert them to .wav files, which was somewhat limiting, since only one sound can play at a time that way. But then there was this thread/post:

https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=13412&PID=163703#163703#163703

which makes playing simultaneous sound playing possible, using the method described. User vegipete is one of the true 'gurus' around here! You will get to know who these guys are pretty quickly and pay attention to what they post!

While it's possible to generate sound effects (see the Welcome Tape) on the CMM2, I think external files are the most common in many/most of the programs that use sound.

Have fun!

Steve

Deadreddreadhead

Posted: 08:49pm 20 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you Steve. That is super helpful! Now I just have to find a Mac version of OpenMPT! Hopefully something with clear instructions etc!

Vegiepete has already come to the recuse for me on another matter! Top Chap. Everyone seems very friendly and helpful around here which is a joy to find!

When I get a controller I look forward to trying out your game! Right, time to find the Mac equivalent of OpenMPT!

Cheers.

Peter.

yock1960

Posted: 12:02am 27 Feb 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

New version. You can now play using the cursor keys, as well as a Wii Classic. Adding keyboard control seemed simple, but wasn't...due to some timing issues with how I deal with sprite collisions. I've fixed that, but for reasons I don't understand, there are occasional glitches (above and beyond other glitches) when using the keyboard, that don't seem to occur when using the joystick. Either control method calls the exact same routines, but when using the keyboard, the program sometimes crashes with either a for without next or out of range error in a for-next loop inside a routine that gets called from an interrupt that is called at frame blanking.

I have also added a new character/enemy...wrongway. This uses all of the settick interrupts, which are what I use to 'drive' these routines. I now need to work out ways to share these interrupts for the green ball, sam and ugg.

There are also still only 2 levels and other shortcomings...

Steve
m-berto_a.zip

yock1960

Posted: 01:18am 13 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's been about three weeks since the last update, so I figured it's about time to upload a new version. Ugg and the green ball have been added...for those who aren't familiar with Qbert, the green ball freezes the bad guys for a few seconds and makes touching them safe, while they are frozen. Other improvements are a high score screen (top 10 only) and some graphical glitches stamped out. Glitches and bug still remain and I need to incorporate Sam. As I've mentioned before, this is not a perfectly true implementation of Qbert, but is a close approximation.

I mostly use the joystick to play. I think I have fixed the problem of 'no matching for' errors, when using the keyboard...but won't swear to it. Gameplay gets a bit laggy when there are a bunch of bad guys on the screen....perhaps I can fix it.

Steve

m-berto_a.zip

yock1960

Posted: 01:22am 13 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Almost forgot...also added another level...to make 3 levels of four rounds each. I've never reached level three yet! :-)

Steve

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 07:27pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi yock1960,

I finally got my CMM2 upgraded to CMM2V5.07.00b26, which is a story in itself, and I tried out your game, and it brings me back to the old days when I sucked marginally less at Qbert, but still fun. Thanks so much for doing this! :)

I did run into a couple of issues, the first being the need to upgrade to CMM2V5.07.00b26, which is fine, and the second was that when I lost for about the fourth or fifth time, I got this error when I tried to restart the game:

Error in line 1073: Cannot change a constant

The "constant" in question is your variable "g%" so this is clearly a boog in the firmware and not an issue with the game per se.

Nice work and thanks again!

John

yock1960

Posted: 08:15pm 10 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SimpleSafeName said  Hi yock1960,

I finally got my CMM2 upgraded to CMM2V5.07.00b26, which is a story in itself, and I tried out your game, and it brings me back to the old days when I sucked marginally less at Qbert, but still fun. Thanks so much for doing this! :)

I did run into a couple of issues, the first being the need to upgrade to CMM2V5.07.00b26, which is fine, and the second was that when I lost for about the fourth or fifth time, I got this error when I tried to restart the game:

Error in line 1073: Cannot change a constant

The "constant" in question is your variable "g%" so this is clearly a boog in the firmware and not an issue with the game per se.

Nice work and thanks again!

John

Somebody is playing this?  

Are you using the keyboard to drive? I have never been able to completely eliminate some issues when using the keyboard. It seems to be an issue with timing and the interrupts I use to do the spinning discs and scrolling 'player' text, that doesn't occur with joystick usage. That being said, I've read that there have been issues with static variables in routines called by interrupts...which the routine with that variable, indirectly is.

That's a new error for me. I'll see if I can duplicate it and hopefully find a solution.

Glad to supply the pleasant nostalgia! Thanks!

Steve

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 11:57pm 12 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  

Somebody is playing this?  

I know, right? :)

yock1960 said  

Are you using the keyboard to drive? I have never been able to completely eliminate some issues when using the keyboard. It seems to be an issue with timing and the interrupts I use to do the spinning discs and scrolling 'player' text, that doesn't occur with joystick usage. That being said, I've read that there have been issues with static variables in routines called by interrupts...which the routine with that variable, indirectly is.

That's a new error for me. I'll see if I can duplicate it and hopefully find a solution.

Glad to supply the pleasant nostalgia! Thanks!

Steve

So along with purchasing a USB-A to USB-A cable, I bought a couple of classic controller knockoffs which work fine.

But I did get the "Error in line 1073: Cannot change a constant" again while using this controller. So it seems to happen with either mode of operation.

FWIW, I'm using 5.07.00b26

yock1960

Posted: 02:29pm 14 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@SimpleSafeName:

Looks like I need to dust off and update my Retromax and see if I get this error.

Steve

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024