Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:30 17 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : ArmmiteF4 - East Rising 9" LCD Adapter

erbp

Posted: 05:54am 04 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

From the ArmmiteF4 User Manual thread:

lizby said  
Did you make an adapter (and if so can you post files?) or use MatherP 32-t0-40 pin and Grogster 40-to-Eastrising (links here) or what? (I have one running on the 32-40-Eastrising adapter.)

I recently looked for but didn't find the 9" Eastrising LCD in stock--do you know of a current source?

Hi lizby,

I made my own adapter board as I wanted to incorporate some special features to allow it to be used in either a "production" project setting where you would want the F4 to sit underneath the LCD, but have its I/O pins pointing away from the LCD so that attaching connectors to them wouldn't be a problem, or in a "development" setting where you would want the F4 to sit to the side of the LCD AND have its I/O pins facing upwards for ease of access while developing/testing stuff.

Below is an image of the "production" usage. The LCD is face down and I am using a 3mm sheet of acrylic as the "base" which everything attaches to for good connection stability. The adapter board is actually in 2 parts - one part (larger green piece) has the connector attaching to the 32 pin F4 connector, the second part (smaller green piece) is on the other side of the acrylic base piece and has the 40 pin connector attaching to the LCD screen. The two parts use stiff bare copper wires (salvaged from some mains power cable) for the interconnections. This allows the spacing between the two pieces to be varied according to mounting requirements.

Below are two images of the "development" usage adapter (sorry I don't have a spare F4 or 9" LCD so can't show it connected up but I think you can get the idea). So instead of using stiff straight interconnecting wire, it uses flexible, insulated hook-up wires long enough to allow one piece of the adapter to be flipped over at 180 degrees relative to the other piece. This allows both the screen and the F4 to face upwards and provides unhindered access to all the F4 I/O pins as the F4 is positioned to the side of the LCD not underneath it.

Below is an image of the adapter PCBs as created by the PCB manufacturer (one flipped to show the opposite side). The two pieces of the board need to be separated by sawing with a fine tooth hack saw along the line marked on the silk screen.
Care needs to be taken to ensure the 32 pin and 40 pin connectors are fitted on the correct sides of the boards - the side with the rectangle outline marked on the silk screen - left hand PCB image). Also the mating of the two pieces must be done carefully to ensure the correct interconnecting pads line up - match the two Pin 1 (rectangular) pads on CONN1 and CONN2, then the rest should be ok as long as you have the two pieces of the boards both facing the same way (i.e. both sides with the connectors fitted facing up). Follow the notes on the silkscreen of the board re power supply and backlight connections/settings.

Attached is a zip containing the manufacturing files for this board.

F4_ER-LCD_Adapter_v1_Plots.zip

Note that I have 6 spare boards which I am willing to post to anyone wanting one (free of charge - Australia only - sorry) - PM me with your details - max 2 boards per person please.

As for supply of the 9" East Rising LCD - as far as I know it was only ever available directly from BuyDisplay.com - it is currently still advertised  here so I assume it is still available, but I purchased mine several years ago.

Cheers,
Phil.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:35pm 04 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Neat setup. Thanks for the details. My hookup was F4 to the 40-pin adapter to the Eastrising adapter, with an additional breakout board to bring the wanted F4 pins out to connector headers.

I never went so far as to make a mountable arrangement.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

erbp

Posted: 01:54am 05 Mar 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have just noticed on the BuyDisplay.com web page that they have an Out of Stock message (about halfway down the page), but they do say they expect to be shipping again by April-10-2021.

At the top of the web page they show Availability as In Stock.

Sorry that I did not see the Out of Stock notice yesterday before posting.

Regards,
Phil.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 06:34am 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil (et al),

My 9" Eastrising arrived last week and I have managed to get it going on the F4 using Phil's adapter. The adapter worked perfectly and my only head scratching was my ineptitude at re-configuring Touch. It is all working beautifully now (it certainly is a good display).

Many thanks to Phil!

Andrew

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024