Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:06 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MAPSTER tile engine

Nautilus

Posted: 02:56pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi and Happy Easter to all,
after finishing my first game, i started a new long term project: a tile engine called MAPSTER

at the moment it's still in a very early stage, but there are 2 demos to try out. give it a try (arrow keys to move, esc to quit)
hints and suggestions are welcome  

grotto_escape.zip

magic_cliffs.zip

epsilon

Posted: 05:00pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus,

Congratulations! This is absolutely beautiful!

I was going to try and tackle tiles next in my game engine, and here you come along with these two beautiful demos.

I'll find the answer in the code but I do have one burning question right off the bat: Are all tiles pre-rendered on multiple pages or a big framebuffer or some such prior to display, or are they rendered on-the-fly from the map as you scroll? I'm just wondering if this will scale to a long level of a horizontal shooter for instance.

The tiles are beautiful. Are they your own?
Epsilon CMM2 projects

epsilon

Posted: 07:47pm 05 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I found my answer in the RefreshTiles sub. The tiles are blitted on-the-fly. Excellent :-)

This is also the first time I see there's such a thing as a JASC-PAL format. That's a nice find. Which program did you use that generates this palette file, if I may ask?
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Nautilus

Posted: 08:52am 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your response epsilon  
And yes, the scene blitted on-the-fly - so a looOOOoong level for a shooter is no problem  

The palette file is a part of my workaround to loading "palette based bitmaps" fast and with the correct colours. I'am using GraphicsGale (former a comercial program, now freeware), that can read and write JASC-palette files. Paint Shop Pro using this too (the format is described here: https://liero.nl/lierohack/docformats/other-jasc.html ).

The tilesets are based on the game assets from ansimuz. You can download it for free at https://itch.io/game-assets

Next step is the implementation of tile animation (lava falls, torches, water, more lava falls   )

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:38am 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  hints and suggestions are welcome

This is very impressive. Trivial but don't forget the max and min functions and also (not relevant here) the choice function.They can save quite a lot of code

sub MoveCam(deltaX%, deltaY%)
 CamX% = MIN(WORLD_W-CAM_W,max(0,CamX% + deltaX%))
 CamY% = MIN(WORLD_H-CAM_H,MAX(0,CamY% + deltaY%))
 refresh% = TRUE
end sub

epsilon

Posted: 10:05am 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus said  
The palette file is a part of my workaround to loading "palette based bitmaps" fast and with the correct colours. I'am using GraphicsGale (former a comercial program, now freeware), that can read and write JASC-palette files. Paint Shop Pro using this too (the format is described here: https://liero.nl/lierohack/docformats/other-jasc.html ).

The tilesets are based on the game assets from ansimuz. You can download it for free at https://itch.io/game-assets

Thanks. Those are great resources.

Nautilus said  
Next step is the implementation of tile animation (lava falls, torches, water, more lava falls   )

I'm looking forward to that.

Are you using a level editor to create the tilemap.csv?
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Nautilus

Posted: 05:36pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  

This is very impressive. Trivial but don't forget the max and min functions and also (not relevant here) the choice function.They can save quite a lot of code

sub MoveCam(deltaX%, deltaY%)
 CamX% = MIN(WORLD_W-CAM_W,max(0,CamX% + deltaX%))
 CamY% = MIN(WORLD_H-CAM_H,MAX(0,CamY% + deltaY%))
 refresh% = TRUE
end sub

Thanks for this nice piece of code

BTW:
page copy OVERLAY_PAGE to HIDDEN_PAGE, I, 1

does not work the way i want. The result is a black screen. Blitting with the &b100-attribute works fine. So whats the problem with DONTCOPYBLACK in PAGE COPY?  

Nautilus

Posted: 05:46pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  Are you using a level editor to create the tilemap.csv?

Yes - the TILED map editor is your friend   ( https://www.mapeditor.org/ )

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 07:37pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus, very clever idea, I will get a look at this software. Thanks for the tip!

Meanwhile, I suffered developing a map editor only to have the experience creating maps directly on the CMM2... But for sure this isn't the most recommendable experience to speed up the development of a 2D game.

Now I'm seriously thinking about quit making another map editor to the INTO THE DARKNESS game.

About your engine, I found the source code very well indented and understandable.

I have a suggestion to speed up your rendering, change your engine to make only one full refresh at the beginning, and after make it refresh only a line or column on the sides of the screen as it moves. If you use a parallax background, you can store the main tiled screen on another page to join it in the background after, this way you don't need to rewrite all the scene again too.

epsilon

Posted: 07:44pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fantastic. I'm almost disappointed because I wanted to create a tool like this on CMM2. But I still can of course :-)

I spent some time with GraphicsGale today. I love the option to export sprite meta-data as a .csv along with the spritesheet. Between these tools and your own code, I can scratch off half of my to-do list.

I have a background in the demoscene, on c64 and PC. This is my first foray into game development. What is your background, if you want to share? Do you have any prior exposure to game development, or are you just more diligent than I am in your tools research? :-)
Epsilon CMM2 projects

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:51pm 06 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  BTW:
page copy OVERLAY_PAGE to HIDDEN_PAGE, I, 1

does not work the way i want. The result is a black screen. Blitting with the &b100-attribute works fine. So whats the problem with DONTCOPYBLACK in PAGE COPY?

It is a manual bug or at least the code doesn't match the manual  

Try

page copy 0 to 1,i,t

where "t" is for transparent

epsilon

Posted: 01:25pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus said  The palette file is a part of my workaround to loading "palette based bitmaps" fast and with the correct colours.

There's more than meets the eye here. The CMM2 BMP loader assumes the default RGB332 palette in 8-bit mode, so you have to jump through a few hoops to get a BMP image displayed correctly using a custom palette.
I think what you did is you saved off your BMP's real palette on grotto_escape.pal, then replaced the palette in the BMP with the CMM2 default RGB332 palette.
When you load this BMP on CMM2, it looks all wrong, but with grotto_escape.pal in the CLUT, it displays correctly. The (wrong) RGB values in the BMP get mapped back to correct RGB values through the custom CLUT.

I gave it a try by generating the RGB332 palette in the JASC-PAL format and swapping it with the palette of an 8-bit BMP using GraphicsGale. Works great :-)
This is neat. RGB332 is limiting. With a custom palette you can stretch 8-bit color mode a lot further, and you can do it without losing the BMP loader.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

jirsoft

Guru

Posted: 02:14pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The CMM2 BMP loader assumes the default RGB332 palette in 8-bit mode, so you have to jump through a few hoops to get a BMP image displayed correctly using a custom palette

I don't think so. I have written custom save of BMP in GRF.INC and I'm saving the real (current) palette and it's loading back OK. I did it mainly because of possibility to write real 8bpp and 16bpp BMPs, because SAVE IMAGE saves 24bpp image (I don't know why), but also palette works great.
Jiri
Napoleon Commander and SimplEd for CMM2 (GitHub),  CMM2.fun

epsilon

Posted: 02:55pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

jiri said  I don't think so. I have written custom save of BMP in GRF.INC and I'm saving the real (current) palette and it's loading back OK

That works because the BMP loader looks up your BMP's palette RGB888 values and maps them to the nearest RGB332 values which are in the default palette, so it may look correct, but it's an approximation. If the BMP being saved only contains colors out of the RGB332 palette it's even 100% accurate.
However, you import tilesets, spritesheets or something like that from sites like itch.io, they'll use colors outside of the RGB332 palette. The mapping to RGB332 will work fairly well, but the color resolution is limited. It'll be noticeable when you have more than three shades of blue for instance.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Nautilus

Posted: 04:04pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  However, you import tilesets, spritesheets or something like that from sites like itch.io, they'll use colors outside of the RGB332 palette. The mapping to RGB332 will work fairly well, but the color resolution is limited. It'll be noticeable when you have more than three shades of blue for instance.

That was exactly the point - wrong colors and lost details when loading palette based tilesets (from itch.io,opengameart ...)

I first tried to read the raw data of the bitmaps directly. It worked, but very slow (4 seconds for a small image) :( With the palette swap it is much faster and not much work (and yes, it works exactly as you described it). Here is "my" CMM2 system palette:

CMM2palette.zip

Otherwise programming is just a hobby. But i'm very busy professionally and free time is scarce. Maybe that's why i'll look more often for existing tools before i write some myself ;)

@peter: the "t"-attribute for PAGE COPY works fine :)

Nautilus

Posted: 04:23pm 07 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  I have a suggestion to speed up your rendering, change your engine to make only one full refresh at the beginning, and after make it refresh only a line or column on the sides of the screen as it moves.

at the beginning i wanted to realize it exactly like that. but i decided against it, because i really want to have tile animation (lava falls !!!       )

but i keep the idea in my mind (maybe a special version for a special game) ...

MauroXavier
Guru

Posted: 01:08pm 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus said  at the beginning i wanted to realize it exactly like that. but i decided against it, because i really want to have tile animation (lava falls !!!       )

but i keep the idea in my mind (maybe a special version for a special game) ...

You can refresh only animated tiles on the screen, not all tiles in a single refresh.

I made it in the MAZE OF CHAOS (aka Gauntlet clone) to animate some objects and the speed gain was very noticeable. It would impossible to keep four players running at the same time if I chose to refresh all tiles in each game loop.

In your case, I believe it would be a good way as you are working in a higher resolution than my games.

Nautilus

Posted: 04:25pm 11 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MauroXavier said  You can refresh only animated tiles on the screen, not all tiles in a single refresh.

you're absolutely right, but i'm afraid that i'll have to adjust the refresh_tiles routine every time i add a new feature.

at the moment i find the mapster design very simple and flexible and for now i want to continue this way. it could be that in a few months i realise: i am wrong and then you can send me this picture  

but at the moment i am very satisfied with the speed and there is still room for optimisation (also with regard to the upcoming firmware version).

ps: the first animated lava fall is already running on my cmm2 stay tuned!  

Nautilus

Posted: 02:26pm 30 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

a short update on the current status of the mapster tile engine:

- a simple timer system is running
- tile animation support (lava falls   )
- creation and integration of a collision map works well, but is still completely useless at the moment

now i'm working on the game object structure and tile collisions. this is all quite new to me - searching the net for information, but most tutorials are not in basic and/or deal with an existing game engine and less with the principle behind it and/or are object oriented (and basic is not) ... i think the biggest challenge is to keep it BASIC ...

but it's coming along. here's a new demo to watch:

grotto_escape_demo2.zip

epsilon

Posted: 08:59am 31 May 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nautilus said  a short update on the current status of the mapster tile engine:

- a simple timer system is running
- tile animation support (lava falls   )
- creation and integration of a collision map works well, but is still completely useless at the moment

The tile animation looks great! I'll probably try to steal that  

Nautilus said  
now i'm working on the game object structure and tile collisions. this is all quite new to me - searching the net for information, but most tutorials are not in basic and/or deal with an existing game engine and less with the principle behind it and/or are object oriented (and basic is not)

In xDragon, a rectangular box of configurable width and height is associated with each sprite. The box has world coordinates which can be easily reduced to tile coordinates (e.g. divide by 16 if world coordinates are pixels units and tiles are 16 pixels wide and high), so it's not too hard to figure out which tiles the object is occupying. For these tiles, I check the tileId in the collision layer of the tile map and based on that I decide if we have a collision or not.
In the collision layer I currently just use 2 tileIds: 0=no collision, 1=collision. With additional tileIds this can be extended to differentiate between collision-from-left, collision-from-above etc. which may help to determine the response to a collision, e.g. in which direction to bounce.

This method is not pixel-perfect, but in most cases you don't really need to be pixel-perfect.

Nautilus said  
... i think the biggest challenge is to keep it BASIC ...

Yeah, people here on TBS have shown that a lot is possible in pure BASIC, but I'm too lazy for that. If I find that a certain chunk of code is too slow, I just rewrite in C.
Epsilon CMM2 projects

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024