Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:00 25 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Procedural Labyrinth game - big update

johngill

Posted: 11:36am 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

I've been beavering away at my procedurally generated labyrinth game.

Lots of new functionality added:

- torch flicker

- You can now collect keys, magic maps and various other items.

- Door unlocking with keys is now fully implemented.

- I've added a scrolling text window to add a bit of 'text adventure' goodness to the gameplay ;-)

I've started on monsters - they appear in the labyrinth, and I've done text descriptions for some of them, but I've not written the combat routine yet, so you automatically win when you encounter a monster ;-)  Monsters drop a random item when they die.

I've not started adding any graphics yet, it's still just blobs.

Feel free to have a play - I'd appreciate your comments, bug spots etc.

proctiles2.zip

johngill

Posted: 11:47am 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ugh.... sorry. bug in the monster encounter code - should have checked before uploading!

don't use the zip in the post above, use this one instead ;-)

proctiles2.zip

yock1960

Posted: 12:40pm 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I haven't checked this out yet, but from your description it reminds me of an early Windows game called...iirc...Castle of the Winds. My kids and I played this a bit, back in the day.

Steve

johngill

Posted: 01:21pm 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yock1960 said  I haven't checked this out yet, but from your description it reminds me of an early Windows game called...iirc...Castle of the Winds. My kids and I played this a bit, back in the day.

Steve

I don't recall castle of the winds - according to its wikipedia page, it's a windows 3.x tile-based roguelike - sounds like my kind of game! :-)

Think I might try and track that one down, see if it runs under emulation or something - thanks for the tip!

johngill

Posted: 01:27pm 08 Apr 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

johngill said  

Think I might try and track that one down, see if it runs under emulation or something - thanks for the tip!

Castle of the winds, running in dosbox in a webpage. Gotta love that emulation! :-)

https://classicreload.com/castle-or-the-winds.html

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024