Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:02 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : It's time to let Windows update run!!!

Page 2 of 2    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:28pm 11 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone else seen this? Yesterday I got a notice on my laptop that a Win10 update was ready to be installed upon restart.

I restarted--it didn't take very long, but then it wouldn't allow windows to come up until I signed into my hotmail account. I could not find any way around this. Even upon powering off and then on again, it would not allow me to go to windows without signing in to hotmail.

I think this is an appalling practice. I've never before had to do this upon updating windows, and howevermuch Microsoft claims that it will be to my benefit to do so, I don't want to.

(I've never suffered a Linux temptation before, despite having had over the years a good many dozen CLI linuxes on little devices (openWrt mainly, but also Debian and PC Ubuntu), and a dozen currently active about the house. Realistically, desktop Linux is not going to happen for me--too much heritage. But I've never had as great an urge to just throw Windows into the bitbin.)
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:40pm 11 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've never had a Microsoft account.
I've never had a Hotmail account.

I've never had problems signing into Windows (including this weeks update) with a local account.

Microsoft try to convince me that I need one of their accounts but (so far) I have told them to sod off.

Try staring your PC with the network disabled and it should allow you to sign in with your local around. I am not sure of the best way to make that permanent.

I just spent a week updating windows here...
Double glazing all around at last!

That was a lot more painful than updating the Microsoft kind.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:54pm 11 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  Try starting your PC with the network disabled and it should allow you to sign in with your local around. I am not sure of the best way to make that permanent.

A good idea for next time there's an update if it happens again. After windows came up for the first time after providing my hotmail signin, it doesn't again require it upon rebooting (I think--I haven't rebooted).
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

dMajo

Posted: 03:09pm 15 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PeteCotton said  I have somewhere around 20 Windows 10 PCs in my house (between gaming rigs and laptops for my kids, media centres, servers etc.) - heck probably more now that I start to count them up - I don't think I've ever had issues with any of them updating, apart for a Latte-Panda System with only 32GB storage - which keeps filling up and running out of storage on every update.

I do have updates switched off on my Windows 10 IoT installations - but again - just because of storage reasons.

Are you seeing repeated issues with the updates?

Time to implement a DC controller with WSUS and GPO to manage everything automaticcally and from one place. With WSUS you re-gain control over updates and GPOs allow you to personalize some of the settings that are otherwise not possible.
And you do this once and deploy it to all the machines.
ALLdataEE.com  EDU Promos

dMajo

Posted: 03:31pm 15 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Hi Paul,

No Virus (apart from MS$).

What I really REALLY hate about updates is that every update that W10 does it changes power settings on my Network adapter to disable allow magic packet to wake machine.

I like to be able to remotely power my PCs and then remote control them.
I always have to reset that setting on my network adapter (WHY does MS$ think they need to override my setting choices)

I have narrowed it down to two hubs in series.. Nothing else plugged in just two hubs. I have checked and rechecked the settings for all USB devices and if the second hub is plugged in the PC shuts down (lights turn off the kb) and then 2 or 3 seconds later it spins up again and the kb lights come back and it boots. If I unplug the second HUB (nothing plugged into it) it wont re-boot.

Thankfully my BIOS has a nice setting which enables me to stop USB from powering up the PC which works for me. SO I am happy (until the next update).

Regards,

Mick (still in lockdown)

Exactly the same happened to me. But it was more subtle. It related to the two hubs I have integrated into the acer monitors. Before I had them connected through DVI and DP to the motherboard while the HDMI goes to a 32" TV.
Then because I wasn't able to match exactly all the colors between the two I bought the missing cables and daisy chained them on the motherboard's DP port that support up to 3 monitors. Doing so I also daisy chained their USB hubs to lower the cables between the monitors and the tower pc. Bang .. the PC starts rebooting a few seconds after powering off.
As at the same time I also installed some ms updates I thought it was the later but the issue persisted also after uninstallation.
I used to hibernate the PC for over 6 month because after hibernation it doesn't auto-wake-up again contrary to the power-off.
Then it happened that occasionally I disconnected the USB cable coming from the first monitor HUB and ... bang ... the PC doesn't wake-up again after powering off.
I have tried many things for nearly 6 month without success and never I would think that the issue could came from the monitor's builtin usb hub.
ALLdataEE.com  EDU Promos

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:16pm 15 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  
I just spent a week updating windows here...
Double glazing all around at last!

That was a lot more painful than updating the Microsoft kind.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you noticed any difference yet with the inside temps since the window upgrade?

Brian
ChopperP

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:23am 16 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chopperp said  
Hi Jim,

Have you noticed any difference yet with the inside temps since the window upgrade?

Brian

Still waiting for a cold snap.
Nights haven't gone below 10 degrees since the windows were installed.

I double-glazed a new room 10 years ago so I know there is a huge improvement. It took us a while to get around to doing the rest.
Actually, we kept two street facing windows original (circa 1908) but not too much bad weather from that direction.

We also needed the sound deadening for when our noisy neighbour fires up his boom-box.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 12:48am 16 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that Jim.

I won't wish the cold weather onto you so you can test the glazing out.

We have a 50m frontages in our area so most of our noise comes from ride-on mowers (including mine) in the warmer months when the grass grows.

Mostly a quiet area anyway.

Brian
ChopperP

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024