Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:20 23 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : It's that MM+ E100 with "Not enough memory" - again !!

Bowden_P

Posted: 10:17pm 11 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone,
This is another request for information about memory needs of the MM+ E100. My last post was about how much memory was required for the Interpreter and how to reduce program memory usage, and all posts were very helpful. Many thanks.

This post however is about the SD card instructions.

My program memory requirement shows :-
> memory
Flash:
 72K (75%) Program (2947 lines)
  1K ( 1%) 1 Embedded C Routine
  1K ( 1%) 8 Saved Variables (210 bytes)
 22K (23%) Free

RAM:
 37K (40%) 393 Variables
 42K (45%) General
 12K (15%) Free
>

"OPEN"ing a file for "READ" in the program works OK, and I can display text from the file, but if I try to list the SD card files at the command prompt I get :-
> files
Error : Not enough memory
>

Typing "clear" gives :-
RAM:
  0K ( 0%) 0 Variables
 42K (45%) General
 49K (55%) Free
>

but still no success with "files".

Doing a "CPU RESTART" clears all the RAM, and then "files" is successful.

I'd be grateful for any help with 2 requests :-
    1. Can anyone tell me how much memory a "files" instruction requires?
    2. Is it possible to see the "files" output from within my program?

With best regards, Paul.
Nothing so constant as change.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 10:51pm 11 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Don't know if this relates to your problem, but if you have gotten a "not enough memory" error, then subsequently FILES will give the same error until you issue NEW or power cycle. (In my experience with other platforms--I don't have an E100.)
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Bowden_P

Posted: 10:54pm 12 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Lizby,
Thanks for your interest. Doing some experimental listing, it seems as if "files" doesn't like to intrude on whatever has already used the "General" memory area.

With a clear RAM, if I hit Ctrl-C while "files" is listing, I have seen memory show 26k or 52K usage, but if my program has just run - using 42k General memory and 12K free - then there is insufficient memory without clearing General, which "files" seems reluctant to do.

"Files" does seem to require a very large amount of RAM for what appears to be a listing exercise to the screen. Perhaps a clue is in the alphabetical order presented - all files are read and sorted first before listing?

With regards, Paul.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 12:58am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Never had this problem but I personally have a problem with wasting 64 bits on variables that require a fraction of this.
Therefore I do a lot of variable packing.

Flags? I use all 64 bits for 64 flags.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:51am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Me too...
I don't feel happy having all those empty bits lying around unused. I even miss the days when you could define byte variables that only took up 8 bits and ran *really* fast. lol

Z80 Inside!
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:01am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Variables don't take 64 bits they take between 56 and 64 bytes depending on the port. The data element is trivial compared to the variable name and array of dimensions. The only way round this is variable packing as implemented by Tinine

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:45am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  Me too...
I don't feel happy having all those empty bits lying around unused.

This is a hang-up we, uh, mature programmers experience.

If you want to slow your mmbasic program down, sure, use all the bits individually in an integer. But it's rare to be so cramped for space that it's a good idea to do so--you may save some bits, but at the cost of cpu cycles and your own extra effort.

I know, I felt the same way when I realized what using an integer as a flag cost (down there at the micron level in the silicon), but I've forced myself to accept that my time is more to be valued (unless I faced a situation like the OP, which I never have).

~
Edited 2021-06-13 21:46 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Bowden_P

Posted: 11:54am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies. I am using Captain Boing's one-bit-per-flag scheme for flags, which has saved quite a lot of memory. This is used with disco4now's #REPLACE in MMEdit to also use string arrays rather than individual string variables, so that the LENGTH option is available.

Quote  Therefore I do a lot of variable packing.

Tinine - could you describe this technique please? Sound like another trick I could apply!

Quote  Variables don't take 64 bits they take between 56 and 64 bytes depending on the port.

Peter - your statement of 56-64 bytes reflects just how much memory the variable's name uses. I've combed through my program to both shorten and remove vowels from variable names where sensible, and this certainly reduces memory usage.

Going back to my original queries - is it really practical to use "files" with a program loaded too? It's memory needs seem almost all-consuming for a MM+ chip!

With best regards, Paul.

circuit

Posted: 11:55am 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  Variables don't take 64 bits they take between 56 and 64 bytes depending on the port. The data element is trivial compared to the variable name and array of dimensions. The only way round this is variable packing as implemented by Tinine

Could you explain "variable packing", please, and how it is implemented?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:43pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The storage size for a variable is not influenced by the size of the variable name. The only size advantage of shorter names is in the program (prom) rather than the variable storage (ram)

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:42pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

circuit said  
  matherp said  Variables don't take 64 bits they take between 56 and 64 bytes depending on the port. The data element is trivial compared to the variable name and array of dimensions. The only way round this is variable packing as implemented by Tinine

Could you explain "variable packing", please, and how it is implemented?
Have a look at this. It won't run on the PicoMite (yet) but I ran it on the DOS version of MMBasic.

bits01.zip
Mick

Bowden_P

Posted: 05:39pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The only size advantage of shorter names is in the program (prom) rather than the variable storage (ram)

Hi Peter - sorry - my post wasn't very clear, but as you say - shortened names economize on Flash usage.

Hi Mixtel90,
Thanks for the .zip. You describe there the same bit manipulation scheme that I have adopted - it is quite effective for both Flash and RAM saving if combined with disco4now's #REPLACE, and also enables meaningful names to be used in the source.

With regards, Paul.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:52pm 13 Jun 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here's a version of the bit twiddling program that I've tidied up. It runs fine on the PicoMite. :)

bits02.zip
Mick

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024