Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:14 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 documentation: where to get printed/bound manuals?

danielkos

Posted: 11:09am 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm new here, just getting into learning the ropes of the CMM2 and haven't touched BASIC in about 20 years. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but is there a place where printed/bound versions of the CMM2 manual and MMBASIC programming guide can be ordered?

I'm a bit old-school and I prefer to code on an offline machine while having a bound reference within reach, as opposed to an online copy on an internet-connected computer. (Because that internet-computer usually ends up being a distraction and then I don't get any work done!)

I'll probably end up making a trip to Officeworks but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here first.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:17am 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It doesn't help with the bound copy issue, but you can avoid the internet distraction by putting the manual on a thumb drive and sneaker-netting it to your internet-free PC.

I think you're on your own as far as getting a printed and bound copy.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Frank_Drebin

Posted: 11:40am 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had good result with https://www.doxdirect.com/

Just upload the pdf and choose the type of printed/bound versions you want.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:48pm 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have also used doxdirect (from the UK) and have been pleased by the results, I don't know if they exist in the Magical Land of Oz though - you may be in luck, it's possible it is actually a storefront for local printing services.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-07-10 23:33 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

danielkos

Posted: 01:02pm 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Frank_Drebin said  Had good result with https://www.doxdirect.com/

Just upload the pdf and choose the type of printed/bound versions you want.

I wish such a service existed locally in Australia! (or perhaps one does and I haven't looked hard enough)

I should probably note, if there's interest from anyone besides me, it might be worth the authors' while to consider setting up a print-on-demand publishing account with Amazon-KDP to get the programming guide sold book form. It doesn't cost anything to set up (amazon only manufactures a physical book from your source files when someone actually buys a copy of your book from amazon.com, and then you earn a royalty on each sale). A lot of authors now use that route without the buyer realising that there isn't actually a publisher in the equation or a warehouse full of of copies of a book waiting to be sold. IngramSpark is another competitor to amazon that does this but their setup process is more geared to publishing industry gurus.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:58pm 10 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe set up such yourself & then order the print?

John

danielkos

Posted: 06:48am 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Maybe set up such yourself & then order the print?

John

I was thinking on those lines, but it'd open up a can of worms since it's not mine to publish.

I'd need to click through a declaration on Amazon's system saying that I have the commercial publication rights to it. They would also assign an ISBN number making it an 'official' published work, and then I'd be expected to mail copies to my state and national libraries, which is part of the process. I guess after receiving my own 'author-copy' from Amazon I could then sit back, pocket the royalties, and buy a 20-million-dollar yacht with the income, but something tells me that wouldn't sit right with the legitimate authors. I'd have to go on the run like John McAfee.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:12am 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The main problem that I can see with the Amazon-KDP system is that you don't have a choice in binding. It's paperback or nothing. A conventional paperback doesn't lie flat - that's fine for reading but not great for a reference book. You really need spiral binding, which isn't an option.

The best bet is probably to get the PDF files printed out by an office supply shop (or get that colour laser printer you've been wanting - it's a great excuse!) and put them in a ring binder. I speak from experience (I printed black on A5 paper, replaced a few pages with colour then used 6-ring binders) - it works well. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 08:01am 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi danielkos,

Office Works here in Oz seem to provide a service to do spiral bound documents. May be what you want.
Link Here

Brian
ChopperP

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:40am 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That looks like a very similar system to doxdirect, Brian. Ideal for 'mite manuals. I had my Micromite manual done in A5 (still perfectly readable with my specs on) with the Getting Started manual as a second section in the same binding. A5 is nice because it gives a nice retro feel like the ZX81, Speccy and MSX manuals. :)
Mick

danielkos

Posted: 10:16am 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll be heading down to Officeworks in the next few days and getting this done in wire-bound A5.

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 11:04pm 11 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No worries. Just let us know how you get on
Brian
ChopperP

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 01:19pm 14 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use Best Value Copies for producing spiral-bound text for the manuals. Just for reference, Printing all 3 manuals in color plus covers from the 5.07 release documentation plus Peter's release notes was exactly 300 pages and cost $85 including shipping. Not cheap, but I love the quality.

danielkos

Posted: 12:50pm 28 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chopperp said  No worries. Just let us know how you get on
Brian

OFFICEWORKS RANT TIME!

I finally got around to doing this tonight. Or rather, attempting to do it. I'm documenting some of the process and frustrations here in case anyone else in Australia might be thinking of going down this route. Once I finally get a bound manual in my hands I'll post pics.

The main obstacle is the Officeworks online checkout which doesn't seem to be working properly tonight, so I can't complete the checkout process. There are some embarrassing bugs in their website too, given how much money they must spend advertising their print services on TV.

First I stitched together both the CMM2 manual and the Programming CMM2 with BASIC manuals into a single PDF and uploaded to the officeworks website. It comes to a 224 page PDF. I added a blank sheet in between the two manuals to separate them a little. I used the full version of Adobe Acrobat to do this part, but there are free alternatives out there.

After uploading to the Officeworks website, choosing black and white, A5, double-sided, white 100gsm paper, adding spiral binding and front and back covers (you can choose clear cover or coloured textured card stock) it came to around $22 for in-store pickup. Metro delivery option is about $5.95 extra.

For spiral binding, when you choose the binding coil colour there's a bug in the officeworks website where the price will bounce either up or down by about $5 each time you choose a different option. The price shown while building the book isn't necessarily what you pay: when you finally reach checkout the 'correct' full price is shown regardless, so unfortunately you can't beat their system by clicking through binding options to make the price drop.

When I tried to complete the order the website told me that PayPal had failed, then was 'unavailable', then all the other payment options were unavailable too, then my cart was magically empty. I tried a different browser and halfway through I got a message saying an error had occurred and I should "click here to proceed" which took me to their old checkout experience, which didn't work either. (It did suggest that my billing address was wrongly entered and that I should choose their suggestion instead. Their suggestion was an exact match to what I entered except in all-caps.) I'll probably try again tomorrow. I was surprised at how rough-around-the-edges their online printing site is; they've only been offering print services since 1998 or so.

Here are some screenshots so you can take an imaginary test-drive of the Officeworks customer experience before you go ahead and place an order:

danielkos

Posted: 04:57am 29 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I spoke too soon last night. Even though the Officeworks website gave me some attitude, one of my order attempts did go through after all. I still don't know if it was my first, second, or third payment attempt that was successful, since their website just kept telling me to try again.

It turned out really good! I printed in A5 per Mixtel90's suggestion and I'm sharing some photos here in case anyone wonders how readable it is when bound into book form. Very readable and margins are fine. The PDF manuals themselves (especially the Intro to Programming guide) have good clean formatting to begin with and that's quite rare to see in this day and age.

Edited 2021-07-29 14:59 by danielkos

retepsnikrep

Posted: 06:09am 29 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use spiral bound from doxdirect in UK. Always excellent..
Gen1 Honda Insights.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:16am 29 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm glad you finally got something sorted out, danielkos. It makes a world of difference. :)
Mick

Chopperp

Guru

Posted: 08:46am 29 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm also glad it worked out for you.

I would need an A4 manual though to make it easier for me to see & read..

Brian
ChopperP

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:53pm 29 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They'll do A4, Brian. Don't worry about that. :)  I don't have brilliant eyesight but I find the A5 is ok for me providing I have my specs on.
Mick

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024