Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:16 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Witch of the two chips on HT do you need for GEN 2 MB

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 18 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Over on https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-mouse There are 2 chips that are SMD but which one do we get. I am waiting for my GEN 2 and would like to get a chip ordered.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 04:35pm 18 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SOIC, but FWIW I would go with a USB/PS2 compatible mouse rather than the HB route - that's what I use. Remember on the G2 it doesn't use any of the normal I/O pins
Edited 2021-07-19 02:52 by matherp

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 05:40pm 18 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  SOIC, but FWIW I would go with a USB/PS2 compatible mouse rather than the HB route - that's what I use. Remember on the G2 it doesn't use any of the normal I/O pins

I have a USB/PS/2 cable on my GEN 1 and I assume, from what you said that I can't just use that on the GEN 2.  I think the 40 pin cable I used is backward now because they changed it on the GEN2 to be consistent with RPI 40pin.  What do I have to do to make the cable for the GEN2.  I am confused by it "Not using any of the normal I/O Pins"
I think I am missing something on this.  I am not very good with the hardware side.
When I made the first one I had the input and diagrams from the thread on the mouse from before.  I may need to see something like that to figure out how to get this right.

Thanks.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:03pm 18 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The G2 has a USB port which acts as a PS2 so you can plug a dual mode mouse in as though it was USB.

Suggest you do nothing until you get your G2 and then we will help you get a mouse up and running.

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 02:02pm 19 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you now I think I am getting it.  The mouse port on the back is for either kind of mouse and the jumpers set it up.  I have some old MS USB mice that have PS/2 functions as well and that is what I need.  I have used them with one of those adapters on my PS/2 cable. You clever boot for making that port so flexible and Kudos to you guys.  That is a perfect and clean solution.  I love it.  

I hope my GEN 2 gets here soon but it has shown no progress since it left the UK for almost 2 weeks. Phil from micromite.org says that it may be here in the US but just sitting waiting for them to get to it before they scan it and it shows any progress.  Just a heads up to others if it seems to just disappear during shipping.

elk1984

Posted: 12:28pm 24 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  The G2 has a USB port which acts as a PS2 so you can plug a dual mode mouse in as though it was USB.

Suggest you do nothing until you get your G2 and then we will help you get a mouse up and running.

Hi Matthew - Do you have an examples of dual mode mice that support this?  I'd have thought the Intellimouse Explorer would, but I don't have one in my collection any more and they're pretty steep on eBay.

This looks promising....
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:39pm 24 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elk1984 said  This looks promising....
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse

I'm 99.99% certain that Mouse has been identified as working with the CMM2 without requiring the Hobbytronics chip to be installed.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 02:24pm 26 Jul 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

https://docs.myretromax.com/Of_Mice_and_Keyboards.html
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024