Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:04 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PMM (Pico Mains Monitor)

Page 2 of 2    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:09am 07 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  The picomite ADC however is not as good as the one in the MX170.

Because I am very ignorant in these matters, can I ask if you can explain what effect the "picomite ADC not as good" would have for this application?
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:37am 07 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The RP2040 ADC has known linearity issues in the silicon. This means it is only good for about 8-bits of resolution

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:52pm 07 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks. I was aware of the linearity issue effectively limiting the RP2040 ADC to 8 bits of resolution. I was wondering how that would impact on this particular application.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 08:58pm 07 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  Thanks. I was aware of the linearity issue effectively limiting the RP2040 ADC to 8 bits of resolution. I was wondering how that would impact on this particular application.

Due to the RMS calculations using a relatively high number of samples, that should be more than adequate for its intended use. Tracking a DC voltage looking for ripple etc would be more of an issue.
Using it for spectral purity (waveform precision) will be dubious.

I still haven't revisited my disturbance recorder project. For frequency, I was going to use a 1 sec pulse from a RTC (or GPS) and track the AC wave phase difference each second. That should give high resolution.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 09:07pm 07 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Same thought here. Did not want a gps ao therefor calibrated my ds1307 to a gps. Need the rtc anyway for timestamping.

Spectral purity through the fft, still have to calculate harmonic distortion by adding tje 13 lowest harmonics, and dividing by mains.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 07:48am 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The mains monitor has been running for several months now, logging the trend data as BMP's (one per every 4 hours). Today I inspected the lot of BMP's and it was fun to spot the trends....

early morning (03:00...08:00) everyone is asleep, no solar panels working...

a day with large clouds, but sometimes 20 minutes full sun

end of the day, sun is setting

I am satisfied. With these small BMP files I can log years on an SD card 2Gbyte...

Volhout

P.S. is there an option to allow BMP upload to the forum ?

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:57am 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think they are usually too big. I know a lot of forums won't accept BMP because of that - and because they are binary dumps which could be anything. Best bet is probably to convert them to JPG or PNG. You could try putting them into a zip file.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:46am 30 Oct 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a simple task to convert them to jpg, so it is not a big issue.
But on my screen the jpg looks a bit more flat, not as brilliant. Maybe due to the compression.

Have seen rather large PNG's ...

Anyway, I expect the answer to be in line with what you said...

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024