Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:07 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Terminal program on Raspberry PI?

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:19am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the recommended terminal program to use with MMBasic (MM2 or PicoMite) on the Raspberry PI? Something that supports the function keys in the editor. Is there anything that supports XMODEM?

Thanks
Edited 2021-09-20 17:20 by matherp

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:33am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Putty?
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:45am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Almost always use PuTTY. Occasionally an old version of Rob's GFXterm; still haven't compiled up a new version.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

thwill

Guru

Posted: 07:47am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For XMODEM I resort to 'minicom' ... and then I have a lie down and a cup of tea with at least one sugar

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:53am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So basically despite the wonderful open-source nature of Linux there is no comparable equivalent to teraterm which has been around for many years and just works?

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:56am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  So basically despite the wonderful open-source nature of Linux there is no comparable equivalent to teraterm which has been around for many years and just works?

I use ser2net on the RPi and link to it with Teraterm in the comfort of Windows.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

thwill

Guru

Posted: 08:30am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  So basically despite the wonderful open-source nature of Linux there is no comparable equivalent to teraterm which has been around for many years and just works?

Hi Peter,

I'm not a Linux guru, but that's about the size of it. Tera Term is exceptional and the closest that Linux has is PuTTY (which I think began on Windows?) I believe there are (unsupported?) forks of PuTTY that add XMODEM support but I'm not aware of one on the Pi. My suspicion is that the developers likely to develop such features are also the very developers who can make the command-line dance and so they don't bother - I think 'sx' is the command-line XMODEM program, but I've never spent enough time to overcome the activation energy and get it working.

If/when MMB4L gets serial comms support (not in the first alphas) then you should be able to XMODEM from that to a 'mite - perhaps a whole comms package for communicating between Linux and the other 'mites could be built up in MMBasic at that point.

Other solutions may be available - I believe @Jiri has something in Python ... which we all know is your other great love .

Best wishes,

Tom

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:41am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What in particular does Tera Term have that makes it so fantastic and is lacking in programs people freely donate for use under Linux?

Is it mainly XModem support?

John
Edited 2021-09-20 18:42 by JohnS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:09am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just looked for one and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice if you want VT100 and Xmodem in linux.  :(
Edited 2021-09-20 19:12 by Mixtel90
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:17am 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They're both a bit retro LOL

I've programmed a lot of families of uP/uC devices and never needed xmodem in, er, 30? 40? years.  (I vaguely recall using zmodem but not when/why. Would be decades ago.)

I may well have used vt100 things but as I commonly use terminal emulators they would likely "just work".  Other than that I suspect it would also be decades ago.

It looks like there is/are xmodem program(s) so what happens when used?

John
Edited 2021-09-20 21:18 by JohnS

scruss

Posted: 12:29pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mmbasic's expecting the wrong VT100 codes. minicom on Linux is sending ^[OP ... ^[OS for F1 ... F4, while mmbasic's expecting ^[[1~ ... ^[[4~. It's also swapped backspace and delete. These are fairly easily modified for the rather ancient putty for linux, but as other people have noticed, putty has no file transfer support.

rx/sx support in minicom is okay, it's just a faff to get the right filename typed in before the other end times out. I use it all the time with various CP/M and 6502 machines I have hanging around. I'd much rather have zmodem's autostart support.

Linux doesn't have PC-like terminal programs because it became popular just when direct dial-up comms were fading, say 1993-1995. It inherited all the Internet protocols from the start, so it made all the Trumpet WinSOCK nonsense in Windows look a bit noddy.

(and this board, for some reason, doesn't like ellipses, which I had to retype as '...'. Most odd.)

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:51pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It looks like the function key codes are to do with the (apparent) fact that a VT100 didn't have function keys so much as PF1-PF4 and those are the codes for those.

I don't know where the codes mmbasic expects for F1-F4 come from (VT220?).  I guess minicom or maybe xterm can be tweaked for them.  It's not really a Linux or VT100 issue...

putty looks to be able to transfer files but I don't see any protocol as crude as xmodem.

edit: oh, there's https://www.extraputty.com/features/xmodem.html

picocom looks like it may be able to do xmodem.

screen looks to have some sort of rz/sz support, nominally for zmodem but maybe usable for the cruder xmodem?

John
Edited 2021-09-21 00:01 by JohnS

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:25pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you look at the downloads for ExtraPutty, they are all .exe, .dll files. Looks like windows only.
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 02:49pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  What is the recommended terminal program to use with MMBasic (MM2 or PicoMite) on the Raspberry PI? Something that supports the function keys in the editor. Is there anything that supports XMODEM?

Thanks

GFXterm supports all the function keys - the only thing lacking is xmodem support, and i am considering ways of adding that. no installation required, just download the single executable, set permissions to allow running it, and go.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:53pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

I have not found any linux serial terminal program that supports Xmodem.

But you may be able to use the serial connection to emulate an ethernet connection using PPPD. Then the transfer of files becomes easy. Just FTP.

pppd on a raspberry pi
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 03:47pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Please could someone test the attached with minicom

I think I've got to the bottom of it.

MMBasic is using the X11R6 xterm codes and minicom is using the XFree86 xterm codes. These are the same except for F1-F4 and F13-F16.

I've added in support for the XFree86 codes (completely untested) so if someone can verify it for me I'd appeciate it.

UPDATE 21:20 UTC

Doesn't work - will try again later in the week
Edited 2021-09-21 07:24 by matherp

led-bloon

Posted: 11:45pm 20 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GFXterm32 for Raspberry Pi 32bit Buster OS (and most probably Stretch OS)
No xmodem (yet?) but AutoSave works a treat.

GFXterm-armhf

led
Miss you George

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:27am 21 Sep 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PicoMite.zip

UPDATED 10:42 UTC

File with <esc>OP rather than <esc>[OP etc. Shift F3 should now also work
Edited 2021-09-21 20:39 by matherp

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024