Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:58 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : LINUX: Mint won't boot...

Page 2 of 2    
panky

Guru

Posted: 10:48pm 19 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G, my experience with Acer has been excellent. Loaded Minto 20.2 on two different models, one with an SSD and the other a SATA HDD,  numerous times with no problems whatsoever. The only BIOS change I needed to make was to enable legacy boot.
Doug.
Edited 2021-10-20 08:49 by panky
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:22am 20 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK then, it must just be this series of machine I have with this issue.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:29am 20 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I ran Mint for a long time, on various machines. I've always liked it. I only got Win 10 because I'd previously bought (silly me) Win 8 and could get a free upgrade. It lived on a laptop for quite a while, with my main machine on Mint. Then I made the decision to go a bit more eco-friendly and get rid of big, bulky desktops. That's when I got a little fanless PC - and when I lost Mint. :( It's rather nice having a completely silent, barely warm PC though. :)

Anyway, it's the other way round now, with Mint on the laptop and me getting along fine with Win 10 Pro on a fanless. It's only a dual-core Celeron with 4GB of RAM, but Win 10 seems reasonably happy - it's certainly no gaming machine though! There's no chance of this running Win 11 - the CPU isn't supported and it's integrated. It's not possible to add extra RAM either (well, not without SMD soldering anyway).
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 07:03am 20 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad you got it going Grogster. I don't like Microsoft bloatware either, so have run Linux for quite a few years now. Started with Puppy, then Mint, now Ubuntu.
They all work well on my machines but I did have to change the legacy boot thing to get them to work.
I have a small netbook, fanless with an SSD drive. It came with Windoze 10, the shop people told me that the warranty would be void if I deleted windoze. They did not seem to have an answer as to how deleting the Curtains program would affect or kill the computer. Of course it had no effect at all other than to make the machine eminently more usable and vast amounts of good software that just works available.

The only problem I have had with the computer is that the tiny plastic threaded sections that hold the lid to the computer tore out and the screen just flapped about.
The shop told me that mechanical damage was not covered under warranty. Even when I pointed out it was a major fault in the engineering of the computer they would not shift.
so it now looks post apocalyptic and has metal brackets on the outside of the lid to hold it to the hinges. Oh well I never was one for aesthetics anyway.
Cheers
Pete

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:41am 20 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster, just out of curiousity, why don't you ask these questions on the linux (mint, puppy) forum. I have no idea about mint, but I know the puppy forum guys and they are interested in solving problems like these, in their quest to improve the distro. You will definitely not be the only one that found this problem, and they may be able to give you a workaround, or tell you how to fix it. For mint, you could also check the ubuntu forums, since this seems a more generic point.

It may be the Acer devs tried this limitation to make the machine more resilient against ransomware. Redirect the boot vector to your ransomware will not work if you van only use selected paths, or you have to destroy yhe existing boot sequence and may not be able to ever restore the system as it was.

Volhout
Edited 2021-10-20 18:51 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:26pm 20 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  OK, this laptop now boots Linux Mint on the internal EMMC drive.

Good to hear!

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:17am 21 Oct 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Volhout: Yes, I suppose I SHOULD post Mint Q's on the Mint forums.     The only reason I don't, is that I have not yet signed up to the Mint forums, and whenever I post a Linux-related question HERE, I get a lot of good replies, so that's why I just post them here.  I hear what you are saying though, and signing up to the Mint forums would only take a minute or so.  
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024