Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:09 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : What has happened to the CMM2 on this board.

Page 3 of 3    
lizby
Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 08 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

To me the biggest incremental value for the hobby electronics world has been wifi. I don't wish to take away from the wonder that is MMBasic, but the thing it most lacks now for me is integrated wifi.

Most of my electronics playing is done with MMBasic devices, but if I want to add something to my home automation/monitoring system, evolved over the course of 20 years, what I reach for is Annex on the ESP8266 or ESP32, because not only can I stick it in place and get readings sent to my data accumulation device, I can modify the basic program that it is running over the air from a browser. I could even update the firmware over the air (though I've never done that, and for what I need, likely never will).

Incidentally, I'm more of a bit-twiddler than a games player (and certainly never a game designer--too old when the capabilities first hit the market), so for me, the CMM2 has always been something where I'll look for what other people are doing with it.

Meanwhile, I'm very appreciative of Moore's Law, and look forward to whatever goodies it drops in my lap (literally) in the future.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 12:27am 17 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

epsilon said  This thread feels like I'm back in school explaining why I didn't do my homework ('I was busy making demos!').

Ha ha - Yes, this is what I thought to. So here's my turn. Covid has hammered my company over the last 18 months. The way the industry is just now, companies are all wary of investing in long term projects (my normal bread and butter). I'm spending a lot of time just trying to help clients stay in business, and maybe eek out a few shekels for myself. Don't worry, I'm doing fine - but I'm working all of the hours just trying to keep bills paid. I have no doubt that things will recover, but for the time being I'm just weathering the storm.

I keep thinking longingly of my CMM2 and all of the projects I desperately want to do on it - but I have to make a conscious effort to put those tempting thoughts aside and do mundane, (hopefully) paid work.

I am eager to get back in to it. It still gives me a raw thrill. Something about the instant boot up, and just being able to start programming away without referencing libraries etc. Even the other day I caught myself thinking of what a kick-arse remake of Star-Raiders I could do on the CMM2, but had to literally push it from my mind.

Hopefully this Christmas I'll reward myself for surviving the year by making the side-ways beat 'em up that I promised myself I'd write next.

William Leue
Guru

Posted: 08:35pm 10 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I just posted a new program, so (to quote Monty Python) I'm not dead yet, and neither is CMM2.

-Bill

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 10:26pm 10 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

William Leue said  Well, I just posted a new program, so (to quote Monty Python) I'm not dead yet, and neither is CMM2.

-Bill
Well what did you post and where!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:37pm 10 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  Well what did you post and where!

This

John

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 03:52am 11 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  mclout999 said  Well what did you post and where!

This

John
Cool nice patterns.  Thanks.

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:02pm 22 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Geoff and Peter, is it time for a firmware release and new manual yet please?

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:50pm 22 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  @Geoff and Peter, is it time for a firmware release and new manual yet please?

With what? No significant bugs in 5.07.01 and no functional changes at all since

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 10:59pm 22 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry, reading the release notes with the latest beta, I thought the GUI was new. But not so. Not sure what the beta was for now.

Thanks.

Bill

Edit found it
Edited 2021-12-23 09:08 by Turbo46
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 01:29pm 23 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Polar-coordinate Snake" now available for the Colour Maximite 2:

https://youtu.be/quosIboidbM

The code will be going up on GitHub and linked from https://cmm2.fun/ when I find a moment to do the "song and dance". In the meantime it's available in this thread: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?TID=14385&PID=179340

Keys for menu are:
 [A] - up
 [Z] - down
 [<] - left
 [>] - right
 [Space] - select

Keys for game type 1 are:
 [<] - turn left
 [>] - turn right

Keys for game type 2 are:
 [A] - move outwards
 [Z] - move inwards
 [<] - move anti-clockwise
 [>] - move clockwise

Merry Christmas,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-23 23:33 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 08:21pm 23 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Polar-coordinate Snake" now available for the Colour Maximite 2:

First very cool.  Love it.

Why did you choose your control scheme?  Wouldn't it be better to use something like the very standard "WASD" directional layout that most games use?  I know I can alter the source and will but is there a reason you like this scheme?  Thanks.
Edited 2021-12-24 06:23 by mclout999

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:00pm 23 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

mclout999 said  First very cool.  Love it.

Thanks.

mclout999 said  Why did you choose your control scheme?

I really didn't think about it very hard; the game was designed to play on a specific PicoMite HAT with its inbuilt joystick controller (see https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=14385), the CMM2 version is just a "bonus" (for various reasons the CMM2 is a less annoying platform to actually program MMBasic on). For the keyboard I appear to have chosen the control scheme from the BBC Micro version of Chuckie Egg except with [Space] instead of [Enter].

mclout999 said  Wouldn't it be better to use something like the very standard "WASD" directional layout that most games use?

Possibly, though isn't WASD intended for single left-handed control for first-person shoot-em-ups where the right-hand is using the mouse to aim.

Merry Christmas,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-24 09:07 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

mclout999
Guru

Posted: 07:34am 24 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Possibly, though isn't WASD intended for single left-handed control for first-person shoot-em-ups where the right-hand is using the mouse to aim.

Well yes, and that is why it has such strong muscle memory for so many. 80% of the time I am playing FPS.  That is the most natural directional control for me. and for games like this on PC, they tend to use space to fire as you have so you have total control with one hand. Having to use two hands just feels so unnatural. All of my mechanical RGB gaming Keyboards have several light modes that highlight different key clusters centered around the WASD(I have way too many I have accumulated over the years) I do find playing some of the retro games for systems like the ZX Spectrum and the BBC to be hard to adapt to as well so that makes sense. Thanks for the nice game.  Merry Christmas.

Page 3 of 3    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024