Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:16 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HDMI and/or DisplayPort ????

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 11:51am 21 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What is the gist regarding DisplayPort vs HDMI ?
There is blurb saying DP is the new connectivity thing.
I see new PC's etc including DP ... but ... monitors with DP are quite less common that those with HDMI. Then the blurb says DP is for entertainment media etc.. (ed) But I can't see many TV screens that have it.
I acquired a DP to HDMI converter which works OK, my very subjective perception is that it degrades the signal just a little.
For my next monitor should I get HDMI or DP ?? I can see monitors joining the stack of old disk drives, modems, keyboards, fans, bits  
A bit bemused at this stage !
Edited 2021-11-21 21:55 by zeitfest

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:17pm 21 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Unless you have specific requirements there's probably nothing in it. You can put multiple display port monitors on a single output, but the bandwidth is split between them. If your video card has multiple outputs it might be better to wire them directly.

Typical comments here
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

circuit

Posted: 06:47pm 21 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

zeitfest said  
For my next monitor should I get HDMI or DP ?? I can see monitors joining the stack of old disk drives, modems, keyboards, fans, bits  
A bit bemused at this stage !

My latest monitor is a 4K Samsung which has both DisplayPort as well as HDMI capability.  My HP computer also has both HDMI and DisplayPort outputs.  I have tried both and can see no visible or performance difference.  May I suggest that you buy a monitor with dual connectivity.  

Do beware that if you also want to use some of these HDMI connectivity monitors with Blu-Ray players and the like you may encounter a problem with HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection)and find that the monitor may not respond to the copy-protection authority interchange.  

There is, of course, the alternative to a computer monitor and simply buy a decent 4K television and connect via HDMI.  Works okay except ...overscan.  Many TVs seem to clip the frame edges which can be a problem with some tightly-set menus and so forth.

phil99

Guru

Posted: 11:19pm 21 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Many TVs seem to clip the frame edges which can be a problem with some tightly-set menus and so forth."
On my computer the driver/setup app for the graphics chip allows for over-scan compensation. It took a while to find the right settings though.

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 12:10pm 22 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most of the displays or PC's/motherboards on offer here (available Sydney or online)  seem to have one or the other but often not both.    Even the superwide displays.
I guess the world is going to laptops for computing and media displays for entertainment etc, ie  the need for a basic monitor is ebbing.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 12:40pm 22 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Read this, and your questions will be answered....

HDMI s DisplayPort

Regards,

Volhout

In essence: HDMI is more tailored to single monitor (i.e. TV) entertainment, DP is more tailored for multi monitor computer applications.
Edited 2021-11-22 22:41 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 12:41pm 22 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At the moment HDMI seems to be the market leader. There is an immense amount of multimedia stuff that uses it, whereas DisplayPort is more or less confined to PCs & monitors. It's almost as if DisplayPort is a high definition replacement for VGA, not HDMI.
Mick

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 01:16pm 22 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  It's almost as if DisplayPort is a high definition replacement for VGA, not HDMI.

That is what it says in the above article: DP is a new connector for DVI and VGA
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 01:41pm 22 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps I should have read it? ;)
Mick

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024