Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:30 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MACRIUM REFLECT - Error 0....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:31am 25 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Howdy folks.

I am trying to clone an old HDD laptop to SSD, and I have done lots of these before and they have all worked.

This one, no so much.

I get an "Error 0" from Macrium during the clone, and expansion on that moans that there were read errors.

OK.

Run full CHKDSK /F at next boot-up, reports NO PROBLEMS with ANYTHING - says the filesystem and the disk are fine.

Run Macrium again, and get Error-0 every single time, and the clone is aborted.

Anyone seen this?

This is a first for me.  I have clones all my old HDD Laptops to SSD's without any issues, but this one seems to be suggesting there is a problem with the HDD - perhaps bad sectors etc - but CHKDSK /F on reboot says there is no problem at all, but I still cannot clone from this drive.

Odd.

Anyone seen this?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

SimpleSafeName

Posted: 06:53am 25 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It might be time to try something else. I have EaseUS and it works well. You can download the free version and it should do what you need it to do.

I've also used Clonezilla, which is a Linux-based disk cloning "OS". It's free, but the first few times using it it can be daunting.

Here's a short tutorial on TechRadar:

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-disk-cloning-software

And a much more annoying one here:

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-clone-your-hard-drive-with-clonezilla

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:40am 26 Nov 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks.

Your first link led me to AOMEI Backupper SE, which has a very nice GUI, and is very easy to use.

It was able to do the clone just fine, but it took longer then Macrium would.
One of the steps in the process with backupper, seems to be to do a full scan on the C partition before it clones to the SSD, but left it chewing away all afternoon, and when I got home, the clone was complete.  Swap the HDD for the SSD, and the laptop is now running like a racehorse!

Backupper did NOT complain about read errors etc, and one VERY nice feature of this software, is that it works out how to resize for the SSD without you having to do it manually as you have to in Macrium.  Not that that is a problem in Macrium, but I do like the fact that backupper does all that for you.

I'm going to keep that software around for future use!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024