Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:41 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2: Aklabeth - possible Christmas project for someone

Page 2 of 2    
thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:21am 04 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  For other UI improvements, I'm open to suggestions. I suppose a mouse to select items for purchase is 'modern'. I don't want to go too overboard or too CMM2 specific as ports to other *mites are still easy to do.

What I was thinking was that rather than having the mysterious incantation ULRDSATXP at the command prompt? (where ULRD are the arrows) you instead have a line at the bottom of the display containing something like:

(U) (L) (R) (D) (S)tats (A)ttack Pass(T) (P)ause Enter(X)

With the bracketed characters being in inverse video rather than brackets.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:28am 04 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was trying to find something that rhymed with it so that I could sing it.

I failed.

That looks like a nice idea, Tom. One of those things that the original writer might have done had it been possible at the time.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 02:11pm 04 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  That looks like a nice idea, Tom. One of those things that the original writer might have done had it been possible at the time.

I'm sure it was possible, but perhaps the idea of a "menu/toolbar" with highlighted mnemonics wasn't invented by the late 70's (don't really believe that) or more likely Richard G. wasn't familiar with it, he was a "kid" at the time he wrote Akalabeth and would probably have had limited exposure to what else was out there.

Also back then every game would have come with a manual, players would have read the manual, and it would have been a quality manual containing actual information, instead of just a pamphlet containing warnings about the possibility of epileptic fits and other legalease in a dozen languages.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 04 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  That's very neat, have you got actual Ultima 1 source, or is it a "workalike" ?

Some combination of the two. There is a Github 'Open Ultima" project, plus I found a  web site dedicated to RPGs, including Ultima 1. Between scraping the two, plus pulling code snippets from Akalabeth, I was able to quickly write that demo.

=================
UI improvements: as currently arranged, there isn't really enough screen space for a "menu/tool bar". However, a change to a higher resolution mode would solve that easily. Only the overworld graphics would require much rework, the dungeon monsters are already in 'vector' form, so to speak. I'll think about it.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024