Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:49 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : RTC for all mites (@Geoffg & @matherp)

dMajo

Posted: 02:32am 01 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Would it be possible to support the following RTCs on the following mite series PicoMite, MicroMite and MicroMitePlus ... but these will be welcome on the whole line, including the CMM2

The RTC ICs are (https://www.microcrystal.com/en/products/real-time-clock-rtc-modules/ ):
1) RV-3028-C7 (datasheet, AppManual, Sample request )
2) RV-3032-C7 (datasheet, AppManual, Sample request)

Available also on breakout modules at
- SparkFun
- Melopero
ALLdataEE.com  EDU Promos

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:59am 01 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No more accurate than the DS3231 which is supported but you can always talk to one in Basic if you have a specific need for it.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:22pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow, they are tiny little things.

The thing is that it is impossible to support all the chips/devices out there.  So a limited number of the most popular were implemented within the interpreter to make it easy for experimenters to add a function to their project.  

As pointed out by Jim, if you want to use a non supported chip/device then you will have to read the data sheet and write the routines in BASIC (communicating over I2C and SPI is not hard to do).  After all, MMBasic is a programming language and this is exactly what you use a programming language to do.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

They are too small for me to see, never mind solder...  lol
Handy if you wanted to put one between the rows of pins on a 28-pin Micromite, I suppose.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

dMajo

Posted: 06:18pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff,
I know I can read them as a classic I2C device on the I2C bus but the aim was to use the already built-in commands to read/set the time and date.

Now I am using more and more the RV-3028-C7 because of its built-in Unix time counter that comes friendly for quick timestamping the events in a coherent way regarding of the time zone.
This is more and more needed in the connected device era.

BTW:
Instead of including the drivers for the various models (LCD, RTC, sensors, ...) won't be possible to load the needed one through a CSUB and thus have the MMBasic firmware and an official library of CSUBS to extend, with the needed drivers, the environment?
This will also give probably a bigger user program space.
ALLdataEE.com  EDU Promos

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024