Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:39 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Releasing MBG Designs into Public domain

Page 1 of 3    
bigmik

Guru

Posted: 05:36am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Just a heads up, I am still here and doing fine, thank you to the people who missed my posts.

The truth is that the 6th lockdown that we had in Melbourne (making us the city with the longest period of lockdowns in the world due to Covid) totalling 262 days since Covid struck, has had a negative impact on me mentally, to a point that when the locks were broken I was very nervous about being let out `of my cage'. Things are thankfully improving so I am making some efforts towards fully retiring.

As such I will be slowly releasing some of my boards to the public domain to allow users to do as they wish with them.

My first release is MuP Ver2  

Here are the Gerber files for a 50mm x 43mm Solitary Double sided PCB

MuP2 Single layout.zip

Here is the DEXPCB project file for MuP2, NOTE the 3D is a bit of a mess as I wasnt really doing the 3D when I designed MuP2

MuP V2 FINAL.zip

I hope that someone can use these to some Benefit.

I will still have boards available until stock runs out.

All of my offerings may be found >>> HERE <<<

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

led-bloon

Posted: 06:45am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick
  Quote  Things are thankfully improving ...

The most important thing.
I too live in Melbourne, and it has not been fun, to say the least.
Keep improving young fella!
led
Miss you George

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 07:52am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Actually, we MCU geeks are quite fortunate in that; we have this wonderful distraction. Haven't watched a TV in over 13 years...Apart from Formula-1 and MotoGP but I go to the pub for those or watch the highlights on YT.  

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 08:19am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

+1

I dumped all TV 2 years ago, never looked back and never felt less manipulated (or bored with the endless procession of cheap glitzy audience participation/"reality" shows  ).

We have been going through the back catalogue of all our favourite actors etc. and all those famous films everyone has heard of but never seen... gone with the wind, citizen kane... that sort of stuff. Some gems in there (and some turkeys)

@Mick good to see you back mate.
Edited 2021-12-02 18:29 by CaptainBoing

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:14pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mick--MuPV2 was my introduction to the Micromites, and MuPV3 is still my go-to if I want to do something with the 28-pin chip. Thanks for making your things available.

Glad you're feeling better about getting out and about.

Here in rural Nova Scotia we've been very fortunate. I know of only one case (out-of-country travel-related) in my immediate community. "Stay the blazes home" was the prescription of the Nova Scotia Premier, and since I mostly do that anyway, it was easy enough to carry it to another level. Somehow (maybe it's just getting used to things) I feel less fragile than I did a year ago.

Anyway, tomorrow we're off on our snowbird flight to Crystal River, Florida--3300+ kilometers which we hope drive in 3 days. Then we can resume staying the blazes home in a warmer location.

(Haven't had a TV in 9 years, but do stream through an HDMI/VGA projector to a 10' screen.)

~
Edited 2021-12-03 00:16 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey lizby,

Nova Scotia belongs to Canada right ..? How come your location in TBS is USA ?

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

lizby
Guru

Posted: 03:28pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  Hey lizby,

Nova Scotia belongs to Canada right ..? How come your location in TBS is USA ?

Volhout

I'm a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian, a Canadian permanent resident, but (other than last year) spending 5+ months each year in the U.S. I was probably in the U.S. when I first joined--don't remember. Maybe I should change it, but then it would be wrong for the next 5 months.

(Anyway, on the internet, "Citizen Of The World"?)
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 04:54pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@lizby

That's a heck of a drive, I75? Boring AF. Or down the coast?

I did it a couple of times from Wisconsin in 2-days...all I did was pull over and take cat-naps.

Only thing I miss in FL is the oyster bars. TN is my favourite southern state.

Right now, I just missed deer season in MI...Thanksgiving was the best. I had 35 acres (no crazy drunks) and the boys would go out hunting while the girls prepped the feast. Best time of my life  

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:12pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CaptainBoing said  +1

I dumped all TV 2 years ago, never looked back and never felt less manipulated (or bored with the endless procession of cheap glitzy audience participation/"reality" shows  ).

We have been going through the back catalogue of all our favourite actors etc. and all those famous films everyone has heard of but never seen... gone with the wind, citizen kane... that sort of stuff. Some gems in there (and some turkeys)

@Mick good to see you back mate.

I confess to having watched Casablanca, several times recently and I can't get enough of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone  

I actually gave up on TV the day that I was expected to believe that the laws of physics were switched off and massive coincidences occurred: September 11th 2001.

lizby
Guru

Posted: 07:47pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Tinine said  @That's a heck of a drive, I75? Boring AF. Or down the coast?

From where I am in Nova Scotia, I have to drive for 8 hours before I am south of where I started, around Augusta, Maine. North and east to the New Brunswick border, east and south to the Maine border, east to Interstate 95 at Bangor, and that most of the way to Jacksonville, FL, with a detour starting north of Boston to avoid going through New York City. From J'ville through Gainesville to Crystal River on the Gulf Coast.

My brother in Iowa would be right there with you for the deer hunting. He cooks a mean venison tenderloin, and the corn-fed Iowa deer taste nothing like the eastern browse and acorn-eaters which my father used to bring home.

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 09:47pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey guys,
All very interesting and I'm sorry to be uncharacteristically negative but isn't this a major distraction from the OP's post?
Here is a guy who has made a significant contribution to our 'community', giving away his intellectual property - because of health issues.

What support is this giving him and his very brave decision?
What does this say to others who may also have issues and who would possibly want to reach out to us?

So please let's support Mick!

All the best to you all,

Andrew Garrett

phil99

Guru

Posted: 09:59pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For long, boring road trips Australia is well endowed. East - west crosses a 1000km dead flat slab of grey limestone covered in a knee high veneer of grey saltbush interspersed with occasional tussocks of grey spinifex grass and nothing else. Just one roadhouse in the middle.

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 11:31pm 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  Hi All,

Just a heads up, I am still here and doing fine, .... Things are thankfully improving so I am making some efforts towards fully retiring.

Kind Regards,

Mick

Thanks Mick, It's very generous of you to offer your work up to the public domain.

I know that the last couple of years have been tough on many people. Hopefully this change (full retirement) will help - but I kind of get the impression that you're the sort of guy who will be busier in their retirement than in their working life!  

Any plans on how you're going to fill your time? Maybe muck around with some circuits, write some programs.... hey ... wait a minute  

In all seriousness, take care of yourself!

Pete

ajkw

Posted: 12:17am 03 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

Thank you for your contributions and efforts that benefited us.  I have several MUP's that have made creating projects easy.

I feel your concerns about being let out of the the cage,  I felt similar things even after shorter lock downs here in Regional NSW.  Hopefully this Christmas we will be able to get to see family in Vic for the 1st time in 2 years but I have a feeling that crossing the Murray is going to be,  not sure of the precise words, interesting.

Take care.

Regards,
Anthony.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:34am 03 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

I don't mind the thread straying from the original path, it will wind back on track again. I enjoyed reading the posts.

@PeteCotton,

I hope to be chasing little white balls all over the golf course more than I currently have been doing (and learning some more swear words in the process) plus I have taken up PC Gaming again whilst in Lockdown (I have just finished FARCRY 6) I used to play a lot of PC games 10 or 15 years ago but LD gave me the opportunity to take it up again and I love it. Takes my frustrations out by killing bad blokes. (figuratively). At 63 an old bugger playing PC games.  

I will progressively post my boards here (maybe one per week) but a couple I will still hold onto for a little while longer, MuP3 being one of them.
If anyone has a particular board they would like to see in the Public Domain let me know.

The first time I went with my wife to a restaurant I was so nervous I didnt want to touch anything except the beer glass. That was my reference to being let out of the cage. We have been a few times now and even the pictures to see the latest BOND movie (not a bad one). I feel that life is returning to some form of `new' normal again.

I actually retired just over 3 years ago but what I meant about fully retiring was getting out of my little hobby/beer money PCB sales, which has nearly died totally by natural attrition anyway. Most of my offerings have the 28pin '170 and Mites have moved on to so many different CPU derivatives I really cant keep up anymore with the pace. It is all wonderful and I really like that MMBasic is being ported to so many cheap ARM based boards that you can buy as cheap as a bare PIC CPU.

Anyway I am still lurking in the background even if I don't post as often as I once did, I still logon at least once per day.

Take care everyone,

The ride has been, and still is, a very pleasurable experience.

Kind regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 06:49am 03 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well said Mick and all the very best.

Andrew

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:50am 03 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Busier after retiring? Tell me about it... lol I feel like these last four years have been pretty hectic. It would be nice if my brain was still flexible enough so that I don't have to re-learn Eagle every time I come to use it though. :(

Have a great, relaxing (!) time, Mick. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 10:24am 03 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick,

Since we're friends I feel like I should comment, but since you aren't actually going anywhere I don't know what to say. I guess thanks for putting your stuff into the Public Domain rather than letting it fade away.

Hoping for a better world in which we can meet in your sunny climes and I can buy you a cold-beer or two whilst you joke about what a lightweight I am.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 01:37am 04 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hey Mick, sorry to hear COVID lockdowns took a toll on you and it is good to know your mindset is improving. Can't imagine 262 days of lockdowns, where I live it was about 90 days.   With very few exceptions, I have not worn a mask since April when I got the COVID shot.  Masks are only required in government buildings, public transportation and medical facilities in the state of Delaware.  

If possible, I would like a copy of the Mik-Matrix DEX project files for my archives.  Hard to believe that was 6 years ago!   l really enjoyed working with you on that project.  Wish I could recapture that focus and drive for another Mite project.  I've written a list of ideas but I just can't seem to find the will to get started again.

Anyway, get out and enjoy your retirement as best as you can.   Don't let this virus hysteria rule your life... just take some reasonable  precautions.
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

Turbo46

Guru

Posted: 04:14am 04 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

I'm glad things are improving for you. It's been better this side of the border (barrier?) but I'm still uncomfortable going out too often. Enjoy chasing those little white balls cheers.

@Tom, Sunny climes? Mick lives in Victoria  

Bill
Keep safe. Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 3    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024