Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:04 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Floating point on the 'mite family

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:45am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks,

Rather than hijack the V{e}GAmite thread further I thought I'd better spin this into a thread of its own.

Are MMBasic FLOATs 64-bit (like INTEGERs) on all 'mite platforms ?

Unless there is a glaring hole in my understanding I believe this should, C library and compiler permitting, be independent of whether any given microcontroller has an FPU supporting 32 or 64 bit operations - though obviously that has an impact on FLOAT performance.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-02 19:57 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:03am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

From the user manuals....

On the Maximite (CMM1) the floating point numbers are single precision, as are the integers

On the Micromite (MM2, MMplus) the floating point numbers are single precision, the integers are 64 bit.

On the Micromite Extreme double precision floating point numbers are introduced.

I think since then both integers and floats are 64 bit.

Regards,

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

thwill

Guru

Posted: 11:16am 02 Dec 2021
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thankyou for taking the time @Volhout and not telling me to RTFM.

Captain, if you are watching then (unless I am confusing myself) I believe this confirms my answer to your question: https://www.thebackshed.com/forum/ViewTopic.php?FID=16&TID=14328&LastEntry=Y#178348#178344.

On the original platform you asked about (32MX17 Mk2) MMBasic has 32-bit FLOATs and thus needs separate CSUBs for swapping INTEGERs and FLOATs, but the VGAmite has 64-bit FLOATs so can use the same CSUB for both.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2021-12-02 21:23 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024