Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:35 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Another alternative take on PicoMite with multi LCD displays

panky

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 13 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Like Mick, I decided to try my hand at a PCB for the PicoMite to support the new release that has support for SSD1963 displays.

My take uses the 5" LCD formfactor, but also has connectors for the 2.8" ILI9341 and 3.5" (RPi pinout) ILI9481 based LCDs.

I also include a WEMOS D1 mini pro as an expansion option running Annex RDS to provide an extra I2C or SPI or just a few GPIO options.

All I/O connectors shown are JST but could be any 0.1" spacing connectors.

Power supply configurations allow for external 5V to a 3V3 reg to provide all power to the Pico.

Picomite backpack 1.1-schematic.pdf

3.5" RPi form ILI9481 LCD mounted

2.8" ILI9341 LCD mounted

Board only without any modules installed

Board with all modules installed

5" SSD1963 LCD mounted

I may make a few minor changes but hope to go to a board maker next week.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

flasherror

Posted: 01:32am 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks nice. What PCB software are you using?

Do you have traces running under the Wemos antenna area? The render looks like a D1 Pro rather than the non-Pro board.
Even though the female PCB socket and male header pins (assuming it is not soldered directly to the board) will raise it off the PCB I wonder about the effect of antenna radiating into signal traces.
If D1 Pro you could use an external antenna, but regular D1 mini uses a PCB trace antenna, not sure if main board traces can affect Wifi signal etc
Edited 2022-01-14 11:38 by flasherror

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:54am 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@flasherror

I am using DipTrace as the PCB software and I pull 3D CAD module objects in FreeCAD then export them out as .step so I can add them to my pattern library. They are just for show really but help to envisage what the final project will look like.

You are correct re the traces under the D1 mini but the ones I have a pro and I intend to use an external antenna (in fact, the pro's I ordered came with the antenna and cable).

I might try to re-route the traces just in case.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:41am 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lovely board! :)
It appears that, as it was for me, it was just too much of a challenge for you to pass by. lol

I seriously considered doing a full-size "backpack" for the SSD1963 but eventually decided to keep it within the 100mmx100mm footprint for cheap JLC boards. Perhaps it was the wrong decision, I don't know. I've never used JLC for anything above that size so far. I also see you've not been shy of using some SMD. That was something else I seriously considered but I was also thinking of the I2C expansion module at the same time. I consider that to be more of a beginners module and it's all through-hole, so I decided to keep the adapter the same as I wasn't really short of component space.

I like what you did with the displays, that adds a lot of flexibility, especially as you've kept support holes for the ILI9341, which is definitely "flappy" unless you fit the SD connector.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

panky

Guru

Posted: 10:36am 14 Jan 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Mick, I really enjoy creating boards and as you say, a challenge I couldn't resist - it's just for myself really but if anyone wants it, they only have to ask.

I stick to 1206 SMD which are not too bad as far as soldering goes although at 73, my eyes are starting to struggle and hands not as steady as they used to be (usually just 1 or 2 glasses of wine after dinner so shouldn't be the DTs     )

I use a local Australian PCB guy - about A$100 for 5 boards this size - quite a lot dearer than JLC but he offers 5 day turnaround and I like the idea of supporting a local company. I don't do a lot of boards so I can afford to lash out occaisionaly.

Doug.

panky

Guru

Posted: 02:16am 13 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With the advent of SSD1963 support, I decided to update the backpack to cater for 2.8", 3.5" and 5/7" LCDs. I also upgraded to a Wemos D1 mini Pro as the 8266 interface.

Boards arrived a couple of days ago and have spent the last 2 days building. Only one board error (you can see the jumper below) - I missed LCD_CS to the ILI displays.

All 3 LCDs tested on this PCB and all work fine.

The 2 other ILI supported LCDs in front.

No interface connectors installed yet. The blue jumper is the one error on the PCB. There are a number of errors in the text for options however.

The board caters for 3 different LCDs - an SSD1963 form connector that will handle 4.3", 5" (the PCB size for mounting), 7" (tested OK) and 9", together with connectors for ILI9341 2.8" and ILI9481 3.5" (RasPi form).

The workspace - at 73, no idea how much longer my eyes will hold out and even less idea what will become of it all after that - hopefully I can find a grandchild or niece/nephew to bequeath/burden with it all  

Anyone interested, I am happy to post gerbers and/or DIPTrace schematic (with errors noted above fixed).

Doug.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 06:09am 13 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Man, you could land a jumbo jet with that lot  

Totaly envious of the neatness  

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:15am 13 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Totaly envious of the neatness  

Me too!
Since Son II moved back here with us I can hardly get into my shed. It turned back into a dumping ground and there was only a little bit of bench space to start with. I'm currently working on a tiny patch of table top with a few piles of small boxes in the vicinity. It's certainly not ideal. :(

Oh! I've just this minute got an email from JLCPCB - my boards (including the SSD1963 backpack) have just been posted. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 13 Feb 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The desk space is indeed enviable, but I have to wonder if some effort was put into making it look that way for the sake of the photo.

And, more on-topic, the board is nifty. I've always said that my workspace is the battleground between chaos and order. It always looks like chaos is winning, but order comes out of it in the form of working programs (and sometimes, since I retired, working electronic devices.)
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024