Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:55 20 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : HC12 clone tester....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:34am 28 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

With now even the original manufacturer of the HC12 module being hit with the silicon chip shortage and not being able to obtain genuine chips for their modules, I thought I would design a PCB tester thing, that will allow people to test the modules that they have, from sites such as eBay or AliExpress etc.

There are a ton of modules available on those sites, but are they genuine?
Are they compliant?

This PCB along with a suitable scanner radio(about US$30) will tell you.

The PCB is based on a classic 170 MM2 chip in DIL, along with a 1455 USB chip also in DIL, together with some MMBASIC code that will evaluate the module you have under test automatically.

The PCB will configure any module under test for FU4 mode(long-range, 300bps on-air rate, 1200 baud UART interface) @ channel 1(433.4MHz), then run some transmission tests.  All of this configuration and testing is done via three tact-switch buttons, and a readout of results is via a 2.2" SPI LCD module.

The idea behind setting the HC12 to FU4 mode, is to make most scanner-radios out there able to audibly reproduce the data packet being sent.  At higher baud-rates, many scanner radios CANNOT see the HC12 transmissions, but FU4 @ 1200 baud UART and 300bps actual over-air rate, just about ANY scanner radio can see, and will issue an audible burble when the unit transmits.

Buttons for restoring factory-default, setting the module ready for test, and for performing the actual test.

I have ordered the PCB's, but have yet to write the MMBASIC code.
That's next.
I have 20-odd HC12 modules coming from both eBay and AliExpress sellers.

This code will be released here as both a BAS file and a full MMBASIC+code HEX file when the time comes.

I designed this, as supply of the GENUINE HC12 is now drying up thanks to the global silicon chip shortage now affecting even the manufacturer of the HC12 module now, so you really HAVE to have a way to test if you have genuine or clone modules without any major hassle.

The LCD will tell you what commands it is sending, and when it is transmitting etc, and you will then need to refer to the scanner radio and/or frequency counter as to if the module under test is compliant or not.

Modules that are not, will need to have their crystals removed and replaced with genuine ones from a respected parts house.  That fixes 99% of the clone ones that don't work correctly.

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

CaptainBoing

Guru

Posted: 10:50am 28 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah!, I was thinking about something like this for a while. I was planning something that would do HC-11 and the two bluetooth module HC-05 and HC-06 too (and maybe even the cheapie "bare bones" 433Mhz modules).

My plan was to have on-board, known good modules and a UUT socket for each different type (might be able to combine some). All features of the UUT could be checked by config  then exercising with the known good counterpart... chatter from one to another would test the channels (where applicable), their maximum limits, data integrity etc. The only thing it would lack is a power output and sensitivity tests - doable with a bit more thinks.

Unfortunately I have been over-taken by lack of demand - haven't made anything with a HC12 for ages. So with no driver and little free-time, it became a "brain project".

Watching with interest.
Edited 2022-04-28 21:30 by CaptainBoing

Andrew_G
Guru

Posted: 10:57am 28 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs,
Are you selling the units as kits? If so can you please put me down for one?
As you know, I have heaps of your fine genuine HC12s, but even more unknown units and this device looks good.
I'm constrained to living in a hotel for a while so it will be hard to complete an official order.

Cheers,

Andrew
I think I have the requisite radio in a box in one of four places scattered around Melbourne

cosmic frog

Posted: 08:06pm 28 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster.

Have you seen this video about hc-12 clones?
Don't know if it's the same problem you are having but maybe worth a look.

Dave. this

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:37am 29 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Andrew, yes, once I have the unit built and tested and have written a software for it to do what I plan, then I will be offering them as kits.  You need a digital UHF scanner radio and IDEALLY a frequency counter too, but you can skip the frequency counter if you have to - a digital scanner radio will tell you if you are in the ball-park or not.  A suitable radio is here and costs only US$26
43% discount at the moment, so now's the time to grab one if you need one!  I never use them on transmit, but they make a fantastic little scanner radio so you can listen for the data burble on the selected frequency.

@ Dave, no, this is not the problem I was having, but it will be worthwhile to check that at the same time, as it is an easy fix.  My main issue was with what appears to be reject crystals that are fitted to some of the clones.  That gives them poor modulation and puts them off-frequency from where they should be.  Both of those issues mean those clones won't co-exist with genuine ones due to the poor output modulation and frequency error.  This has been confirmed to be fixable, by just replacing the reject 30MHz crystal, with a genuine one.  100pcs of genuine 30MHz crystal I have here that I got from Element-14 at the time, so I will use those on any module that fails the test.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:08pm 29 Apr 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One of my parcels of ten units has arrived from AliExpress, and they appear to all be genuine, as they are laser-engraved crystal type - they have the HC logo laser-engraved onto the crystal.

I seriously doubt that the cloners would go to that much trouble - AND COST - to have reject crystals laser-engraved, so this is a good thing.

Genuine HC12 module...

They are well priced at about US$7.50, but are on special at US$6.23 per unit at the moment.  They show 6,425 pcs available at the moment.  I am going to order more from this seller, as they appear to be the genuine article.  Weather that will REMAIN the case is anyone's guess, but for right now....

I have another ten coming from another seller - I will report if these are also laser-engraved crystal ones, or possible clones.  I also still have a small pottle with about twenty-odd confirmed clones in it, so I will use these to test my new board, and then to try to replace the crystal on.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:34am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have the basic unit up and running, and need to clean up my code a bit, but I thought the forums might like some progress photos:

All testing and setup is via simple buttons.
You need a scanner radio able to tune to the test frequency of 433.4MHz

The standard procedure is:

1) Load an HC12 module to test
2) Press the blue SETUP button to configure the module under test
3) Press the green RUN TEST button to run a transmission test
4) Press the yellow DEFAULT SETTINGS button to restore the default settings

The HC12 module under test, is held in place using the module's castellated holes on the edge of the module, and a 3mm nylon bolt and washer mounted in a slot.  The nylon bolt is done up tight in the slot, in the correct position that will provide some compression to the module, and hold it firmly against a gold-plated five-way pin header.  Installing and removing the module, is as easy as insert and push down to install, and lift and remove to take it out.

You COULD use a normal steel 3mm bolt arrangement here, but you would need to be careful not to short the RF out to either of the ground connections beside it, and nylon offers insulation against that, plus a LITTLE bit of pliability over the rigid steel bolt, and it seems to work perfectly.

The entire board is powered from the USB cord, so it is a reasonably compact testing tool with LCD readout of what is going on.  I could have put touch control on this board, but I could not be bothered.  In hindsight, I probably should have, but ah well.....

If there is any interest in this thing, I can do one or both of two things:

1) Make kits available on my website including all components, PCB, LCD, pre-programmed 170 and 1455 chips, IC sockets, buttons and with SMD parts pre-fitted including the USB socket leaving just the through-hole for the builder to install.

2) Make a constructors kit available for download from my website, with gerbers and BOM etc, so people can just make their own ones.

I don't expect demand for this thing to be very high, as it is really targeted only at chaps like me who use lots of HC12's, and need some way to introduce our own quality-control measures in the current environment.

Let me know your thoughts.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024