Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:30 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : JDY-40 breakout PCB

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 11:12am 08 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have some JDY-40 on order to play with, so here's a little breakout board if anyone is interested. These things aren't breadboard-friendly and can be a pain if you want to play with the I/O pins.

JDY-40 breakout.zip
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:49pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had a look at these, an interesting little module, I bought a couple to play with.
Maybe for remote control use.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:27am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's what I was thinking. :)
I've been using some of those wireless controlled sockets, but they aren't all that good. I figured that, as I have a row of 3 of them feeding different things I might make a box with some sockets with relay control. All I need then is some relay drivers and a JDY-40. Another one with some buttons can be the remote control. They look very simple to use.

Of course, now work has been done using COM for remote I/O and the JDY-40 is a transparent serial link by default, it gives interesting possibilities for remote I/O between 'mites.

Range isn't amazing, but IMHO that's a great advantage for domestic stuff. It's better if it doesn't inadvertently control things across the road. :) 2.4GHz is also better for use in the UK than the 2m band, where there are a lot of restrictions. You still have to be careful, but it's nowhere near as bad, especially with low power.
Mick

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:36am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is also a JDY-31 bluetooth device that can be controlled with a phone, would be good for indoor use.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:14am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep. I particularly wanted the JDY-40 because it's so cheap and you can (usually) get at least 5m range through walls. That would let me have remote I/O in the next room. I may get some of the others in the range to play with later.
Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 07:11am 01 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Mick, All,

How have you been going with your tests with the JDY-40?

5m through walls doesnt sound great to me if that is all they get, They quote 120m but I realise that is line of sight. Is 5m really the effective range of these beasts if you want to go through a wall or two?

Can they be boosted via an external antenna?

They are certainly cheap enough (I see them for around $2AU inc postage and taxes in QTY of 5 to 10.

Kind regards,

Mick (The Other Mick)
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:51am 01 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No external antenna socket. It would be illegal to use one here in the UK anyway - 2.4GHz licence-free is restricted to low power use. The modules may already be exceeding legal output anyway. :)

Someone did some range tests using them in communication mode. They only managed about 30-50m IIRC before getting too many dropped characters and it was virtually useless at 120m. I'll see if I can find the article again. A lot will depend on the walls - thick stone might only give 3m but timber and plasterboard might give 15m!

I'm intending to attempt my own tests, but I've simply not got round to sorting anything out yet.

I love the remote control mode, with no processor needed. :)

There is another (incompatible but similar function) module, the JDY-41, which is much enhanced. It includes automatic packet data checking and a longer 160m (quoted) range. It can also use an external antenna. It's overkill for what I wanted though, all comms in the same room or the next.

Mick (Mk.2)
Edited 2022-06-01 19:52 by Mixtel90
Mick

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 10:49am 01 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No external antenna socket. It would be illegal to use one here in the UK anyway

I use them for my Bluetooth comm's because my controller resides in a typical steel enclosure. In actual fact, the signal strength is lower with the external antenna when compared with the same unit that has the PCB version. Losses in the SMA extender, from what I've read.

Craig

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:36am 01 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  There is another (incompatible but similar function) module, the JDY-41, which is much enhanced. It includes automatic packet data checking and a longer 160m (quoted) range.

Just ordered 4 for $1.19US each with shipping. Looks very useful.

Now if they just made a USB/serial version to plug into your PC.
Edited 2022-06-01 21:43 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024