Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:25 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite firmware release V5.07.04

Page 1 of 4    
Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 02:38pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Peter has released V5.07.04 of the PicoMite firmware.

This release is an update to both the PicoMite and the PicoMiteVGA versions and fixes all currently known bugs.  It also implements a few new commands (READ SAVE, READ RESTORE and EXECUTE) in both versions and enables pins that are not exposed on the Pico to be used for reserved functions (eg, SYSTEM I2C).

The PicoMiteVGA version has a number of extra improvements:
- Selection of the foreground or background colour in 640x480 mode.
- GETSCANLINE function
- MODE command
- OPTION DEFAULT MODE
- TILE command

These new features are listed in the release notes and covered in more detail in the manuals.  Both User Manuals have been updated however the PicoMiteVGA manual has the most changes, particularly the interface to the VGA monitor which now does not require a jumper to select different video modes.

The new firmware and manuals can be downloaded from:
PicoMite: https://geoffg.net/picomite.html
PicoMiteVGA: https://geoffg.net/picomitevga.html

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 04:28pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

brilliant work Peter and Geoff  

i really like the form factor of 'Design #1' in the VGA construction pack - carrying over the elegance of the original monochrome maximite - and could see it becoming a very popular kit if picked up by the likes of Jaycar, Altronics, etc.

one minor point: the simplified VGA (3-bit) circuit on page 6 of the manual should probably OR together GP19 and GP20 (green 01 and green10) to ensure sane display of all 1-2-1 colour combinations.

cheers,
rob   :-)

al18

Posted: 05:33pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoff, Peter,
Thanks for the updates - lots to read.

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 05:47pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter and Geoff for the updates.
As I was interested to see if there was an option for swedish keyboard, I started by testing the different OPTION KEYBOARD languages. Did not find the swedish and I could not get the DE (german) keyboard to work. syntax error. The other language alternatives were ok.
Noticed that the Italian keyboard was most closely related to swedish...fewer pen corrections on the keys than by using US keyboard settings   .

Lot of reading for the coming days!
/Fred

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:56pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

German keyboard is code GR for historical reasons. No Swedish keyboard as this has never been supported as a PS2, Only MMB4W supports SW

Pluto
Guru

Posted: 06:14pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks!
manual p.51 says "GE" for german; should be "GR".

Amnesie
Guru

Posted: 09:26pm 09 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just ran quickly through the new updated manual and I have to say that so much love went into this detailed pages. Great work EVERYONE!

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:08am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said  i really like the form factor of 'Design #1' in the VGA construction pack - carrying over the elegance of the original monochrome maximite - and could see it becoming a very popular kit if picked up by the likes of Jaycar, Altronics, etc.

This design will feature in next month's issue of Silicon Chip magazine with the theme of a simple "Boot to BASIC" computer.  Hopefully it will be popular.

Pluto said  manual p.51 says "GE" for german; should be "GR".

Thanks, I have updated the manual.

Geoff

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 12:58am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
The PicoCfunctions.h header file still has this error in it. You may want to get Peter to confirm but I am pretty (100%) sure the correction below is required.

disco4now said  The updated PicoCFunctions.h header file used for CSUB creation in the V5.07.03 distribution is missing one of the previous fixes that corrected an error in the uSec() function that caused it to hang.

It should be as below in red. Currently has (unsigned int) which had previously been corrected to be (unsigned long long)

//Macros to call each function.
//#define uSec(a)         ((void (*)(unsigned int )) Vector_uSec) (a)

#define uSec(a)           ((void  (*)(unsigned long long )) Vector_uSec) (a)

See post Update to PicoCfunctions.h
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:39am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Geoffg said  This design will feature in next month's issue of Silicon Chip magazine with the theme of a simple "Boot to BASIC" computer.

Sorry, I should have said that it will be in the July issue.

Geoff

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:40am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using Teraterm I have the Terminal Size set to 80x43. But when I Edit the screen changes to 54x30 and stays like that.  Can I change this. I have set it in Settings to 80x43. It didn't do it on the last version of the software.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 01:52am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disco4now said  Hi Geoff,
The PicoCfunctions.h header file still has this error in it. You may want to get Peter to confirm but I am pretty (100%) sure the correction below is required.
#define uSec(a)           ((void  (*)(unsigned long long )) Vector_uSec) (a)

OK, I'm confused.  The header file downloaded from my website contains the correction:

#define Vector_CFuncInt2          *(unsigned int *)(BaseAddress+0xBC)        // CFuncInt2
#define Vector_CSubComplete  (*(unsigned int *)(BaseAddress+0xC0))       // CSubComplete
//Macros to call each function.

#define uSec(a)                         ((void  (*)(unsigned long long )) Vector_uSec) (a)
#define putConsole(a,b)                 ((void(*)(int, int)) Vector_putConsole) (a,b)
#define getConsole()                    ((int (*)(void)) Vector_getConsole) ()

Did you clear your browser cache before downloading?

Geoff

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 02:27am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Geoff,
Yes its correct as downloaded, sorry for the confusion. I was looking at the
#define Vector_uSec (*(unsigned int *)(BaseAddress+0x00)) // void uSec(unsigned int us)
definition in error.

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 03:27am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  Using Teraterm I have the Terminal Size set to 80x43. But when I Edit the screen changes to 54x30 and stays like that.  Can I change this. I have set it in Settings to 80x43. It didn't do it on the last version of the software.

What does OPTION LIST show.
You may have OPTION DISPLAY set to 30,53.
OPTION DISPLAY 43,80 should fix it.

I have noticed that the terminal width is set to the display width +1

Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

phil99

Guru

Posted: 04:50am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent effort by Peter and Geoff. Many, many hours must have gone into the firmware and manuals.

VGA manual Page 10 pin diagram "VGA Blue Output" and "VGA 1/2 green Output" transposed.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 05:00am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OPTION LIST shows DISPLAY 30, 53 but I did not set it, it must be the default
If I use OPTION DISPLAY 43, 80 I get
ERROR:  INVALID OPTION
OPTION DISPLAY is not mentioned in the VGA manual only in the PicoMite manual.
Edited 2022-05-10 15:12 by palcal
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

phil99

Guru

Posted: 05:16am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Try OPTION DISPLAY OFF or OPTION DISPLAY DISABLE first. It isn't documented but I vaguely recall having to do something like it before.
For the VGA version I think there are limited sizes possible. I must reread both manuals.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:24am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I searched the manual for the word "DISPLAY" and  didn't find anything.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:52am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can't set option display in the VGA version for the obvious reason that the terminal must match what is seen on the screen otherwise the editor wouldn't work properly. It does add an extra column for the terminal in order that a character in the last valid position doesn't trigger a wordwrap

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:56am 10 May 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, yes obvious when it is explained.
Thanks Peter

Page 1 of 4    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024