Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:01 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Challenge for THWILL (repost from another Thread)

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 05:25pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Thwill , I know as a relatively new Agitator in the Picomite community - My Mouth is about to write a huge Check against any Future contributions I can make, but here goes. I watched a thrill Video covering the Colour Maximite 1 & 2 BASIC Programming Challenge 2021  and not wanting to sound like a weirdo but your videos are infinitely more watchable and your voice doesn't require long periods of training to listen to like Chris from Explaining Computers,
SO MY CHALLENGE TO YOU THWILL is to produce lots of MMbasic tutorial Videos to teach MMBasic from the Ground up
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:47pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rickard5 said  Hi Thwill

Call me Tom.

Rickard5 said  I know as a relatively new Agitator in the Picomite community - My Mouth is about to write a huge Check against any Future contributions I can make, but here goes. I watched a thwill Video covering the Colour Maximite 1 & 2 BASIC Programming Challenge 2021 [link corrected] and not wanting to sound like a weirdo but your videos are infinitely more watchable and your voice doesn't require long periods of training to listen to like Chris from Explaining Computers,
SO MY CHALLENGE TO YOU THWILL is to produce lots of MMbasic tutorial Videos to teach MMBasic from the Ground up

Glad you liked it, but "you're having a laugh, mate!" There were 30 hours of work in that video, and it's not something I particularly enjoyed doing, it did however give me great appreciation for what the 8-Bit Guy does; not that my work bears comparison.

That said, as my contribution to MMBasic outreach there will be a new video for this year's Challenge, plus I'm also hopeful of making a video about the PicoGAME because I think it deserves the attention, but that's going to be it for 2022 ... I wouldn't know where to start on making a series of MMBasic teaching videos even if I wanted to.

If you want to learn BASIC then I point you at Geoff's excellent MMBasic manuals, and also his Programming with the Colour Maximite 2. Personally I learnt to program with type-in magazines and the classic Usbourne Books in the 80's but I suspect much the same can be achieved (although without the graphics) by grabbing an old copy of BASIC Computer Games by David H. Ahl.

Also ask questions here, I'm happy to try and answer them and so are many others.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-06-30 04:02 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 06:46pm 29 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

THWill,
Me Old Buddy, I to learneded to "Program" Basic TYPING AND RETYPING in programs For the C64 and Apple ][, but my programming skills are right up there with my English Skills. would I like to learn Proper english Sure but we won't get on the topic of English Speakers and Soccer Hoodlums :) I'm really not Challenging  you to put hours in to a TUTORIAL I'M CHALLANGING YOU TO PUT MINUETS IN TO ONE ! in fact there has to be a simple cheep VGA capture device I can donate to the cause. 0 edits just GOOD old Tom and his magic pint of Stella pounding away and explaining what he's doing and how it works After All there was 2 reasons I had to have a CMM2 Gauntlet AND SAAINT man it's all CONTENT over Polish plus your voice doesn't Grate on my Nerves        
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:37pm 30 Jun 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

“It is most gratifying," it said, "that your enthusiasm for our planet continues unabated, and so we would like to assure you that the guided missiles currently converging with your ship are part of a special service we extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients, and the fully armed nuclear warheads are of course merely a courtesy detail. We look forward to your custom in future lives ... thank you.”

Best wishes,

Tom

P.S. Thanks for the offer, but I already have a video capture device and even a quality podcasting microphone, it still doesn't make it "fun" to do.

P.S.2. I'm a lightweight, and with a pint of Stella inside me we are more likely to get a video of me heaving, or sleeping, I'm not sure the world is ready for either.

P.S.3. For avoidance of doubt, Gauntlet on the CMM2 is Mauro Xavier's work, not mine.
Edited 2022-07-01 02:32 by thwill

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 08:36am 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thwill
Excuse the mess. Most unfortunate. A diode blew in one of the life support computers. When we came to revive our cleaning staff, we discovered they'd been dead for thirty thousand years. Who's going to clear away the bodies? That's what no-one seems to have an answer for.
  Quote  For avoidance of doubt, Gauntlet on the CMM2
But you are responsible for Saaint
and as such I'd trade you a 1978 Reliant Robin if you could learn me enough to port the only game I ever loved Eamon Adventures or you could have Robin and a Talk Toaster if you port it so I can spend my last days playing adventures :)

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 10:09am 02 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'd be surprised if it was possible to run these on any of the 'Mites. Aren't they disk-based?

The Scott Adams adventures are very compact code, being distributed on cassette tapes and run on small memory machines. It makes for some pretty terse text. :) Zork they are not...
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:23pm 04 Jul 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Rickard,

Rickard5 said  Excuse the mess. Most unfortunate ...

Touché.

Rickard5 said  But you are responsible for Saaint ...

I had a little help, but guilty as charged.

Rickard5 said  I'd trade you a 1978 Reliant Robin ...

The yellow van model with "Trotters Independent Traders" on it, or have I chosen the wrong pop-culture reference ?

I did look at Eamon Adventures when you first brought it up and is is eminently doable, but given the propensity for line numbers and GOTO/GOSUB statements in all these early codes it would be a slog just like the initial work for SAAINT was. Mick's comment "I'd be surprised if it was possible to run these on any of the 'Mites. Aren't they disk-based?" is nonsense (sorry Mick), assuming the 'mite in question has an SD card then this is faster and larger than any 80s/90s disk, plus at least in their early incarnations none of the multiple programs that make up an Eamon Adventure takes up more than 48K for both BASIC program and variable memory.

The real problem with porting Eamon Adventures (and the reason I won't be doing it) is that when compared with Scott Adams' adventures or Infocom/Z-Machine adventures there is no single interpreter / virtual-machine that can be implemented that will run all (or even a significant minority of) the 200+ Eamon Adventures. Though the Eamon Adventures main-program is partially data-file driven it also relies on (sometimes heavy) customisation to handle each adventure's special actions and events (things other than moving, fighting and gathering treasure), so each adventure involves a separate BASIC porting exercise that rather gives away all the "secrets" to the person doing the porting.

Note that if you really want to play Eamon Adventures and don't want to break out an Apple II or MS-DOS emulator then it appears that you can do so online: https://eamon-remastered.com/.

Does anyone want any toast ?

Tom
Edited 2022-07-05 01:57 by thwill

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024