Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:21 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PICAXE chips for sale...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:45am 09 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone.

Old stock, most have never been used.
PICAXE were my MCU of choice for several years, till I came across the Micromite with its advanced features.
Now, due to the silicon chip shortages, the PicoMite is my main go-to device - for now anyway - as there are plenty of them to be had in various flavours(PCB designs).

14M2 - 30x 14-pin DIL, 4x SOIC
18M2 - 33x 18-pin DIL.  Most are 18M2+, some are 18M2.

There is another row of chips under the ones you can see in the photo, rammed into the same anti-static foam from underneath.

If anyone is interested, reply here or flick me a PM.
First in, first served.

Would prefer to sell the whole lot in one sale for US$60 + postage, but I will sell them individually for one buck each(+ postage) if no-one wants to take the whole lot.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 12:58pm 09 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WOW Those are a Happy Memory :), when the Basic Steps were out in the wild I Bought 2 of the Bobot  Kits on a deal and the stamps were so Damn Expensive, so I dove Head long in to the PICAXE Stuff and ordered like $200 worth Stuff and by the time I had enough time to mess with it, I'd moved on to being not good at arduinos. Now I'm gonna spend all day in the shop looking for that stuff :(.
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Sasquatch

Posted: 06:59pm 09 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'll take the whole lot for $60 USD if the postage isn't too exorbitant.  Will PM you my info.

Regards,
-Carl

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 11:08pm 09 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PIC18F25K22 ie picaxe-28X2 was nearly as good as atmega 328p.
glad you moved on. loyalty can only go so far.
picaxe variables and no-one complains. is peek and poke educational?
var=b1+256*b2 is learning but not the normal way like mmbasic works.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 12:41am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  
Is peek and poke educational?

peek & poke & goto tend towards assembly ...
my site

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:05am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SOLD.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:25am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Rickard5 - Yes, I started programming MCU's on PICAXE, really.  They were my first MCU's.  I was introduced to the BASIC STAMP 2 first, but I found it hard to program, and they were expensive compared to the PICAXE, so the BS2 got dropped quite quickly mainly out of cost.  The PICAXE are still useful for learning how to program MCU's, but I am not sure if reved have released any new ones in several years now.  I really should check out their website again, just to see.  Perhaps members here can tell me about that aspect.

@ Sasquatch - PM sent.

@ stanleyella - Yes, I still use the PICAXE 28X2 in one project still in service, but I am planning to port that over to MMBASIC using a PicoMite very soon.  But they are a very capable chip, and since I put that project on-line, it has gone for years without any issues.  I still have a couple of 28X2 chips, but I am holding on to those as spares, till I can port that system over to MMBASIC and the PicoMite based board.

@ hitsware2 - Isn't the assembly command JMP basically the same as GOTO?

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 01:40am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
Isn't the assembly command JMP basically the same as GOTO?

I wish I would have learned , back when I had the chance
Edited 2022-08-10 11:57 by hitsware2
my site

lizby
Guru

Posted: 11:15am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs--no new PICAXE chip, no new editor, so no change since you last looked.

I still have multiple temperature sensors running off of Picaxes, and pan and tilt on my rivercam. On the PICAXE forum today, someone reported that the fan in their AV cabinet had been controlled by a PICAXE 08M since 2006 (while the fan had been replaced twice).

I also got into PICAXE because Basic Stamp was too expensive.

They were good little micros for their time, and can still be useful, but the Basic implementation is limited now, and the larger ones have become fairly expensive compared to the much more capable Pico. I haven't programmed a new one is several years now.
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 11:49am 10 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The one thing where the picaxes are preferable, is multitasking. The 18m2 and plus can run 4 or 8 threads. For some applications this makes sw development much easier.

Not that it cant be done on a picomite, but then in essence you have to write your own task scheduler...
Edited 2022-08-10 21:50 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

circuit

Posted: 07:12pm 13 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PICAXE chips are also very useful for low power applications.  The power management commands can be used to get the power consumption down to ridiculously low levels for battery-powered devices.  With regard to simplicity of programming, multi-tasking is certainly well designed into the software but, as Volhout infers, it is not real multi-threading; more just time-slicing between the multiple tasks.  Firmware is very solid and reliable.  I use PICAXE chips still, but mainly lost interest due to the lack of innovation and development.

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 09:18pm 13 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I guess picaxe users move to mmbasic. should have tried gcbasic as a free compiled basic as a step for 8bit pic and avr.. and logic green tech 328.
mmbasic something else and price wise? so much ram and prog mem.. it's silly and it runs at daft clock speeds and 32bit.. another world from 8bit pics.
I got a lcd and touch and graphics and read/write sd card working. no way in picaxe and no sd in gcbasic. mmbasic should be considered as a coding choice.. it's interesting.

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 01:22am 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  
mmbasic should be considered as a coding choice..

Isn't it ?
my site

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:08am 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It certainly is. It's being used for industrial control now. :)
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:13pm 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  It certainly is. It's being used for industrial control now. :)

I can see why. easy to set up a lcd touch control panel

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 07:41pm 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

z80 remember ldir ?

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:19pm 14 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yep.
IIRC, you load HL with the start of the data block to be copied, load DE with the start of the destination, load BC with the number of bytes to copy then use LDIR. If I've got it wrong I apologise. It's many, many years since I last used it. :) Very fast block copy for the time.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:18am 17 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

circuit said  PICAXE chips are also very useful for low power applications.  The power management commands can be used to get the power consumption down to ridiculously low levels for battery-powered devices.  With regard to simplicity of programming, multi-tasking is certainly well designed into the software but, as Volhout infers, it is not real multi-threading; more just time-slicing between the multiple tasks.  Firmware is very solid and reliable.  I use PICAXE chips still, but mainly lost interest due to the lack of innovation and development.

Agreed.  I still use the 08M2 PICAXE chip as a simple data-filter for "Dumb" RF modules.  Basically, a way to filter the white-noise from the actual wanted data.  The 8-pin PICAXE is excellent for that, is small, simple and cheap.

In my case, it always forwards the data to a Micromite COM port.  With the MM's built-in COM port buffer, it makes a very easy to use and effective automatic message queue system, that will catch any messages, even if the MM is busy somewhere else at the time.  When the MM comes back to the main loop and checks the buffer, it can then act on the message that was sent.  Works beautifully, and you hardly have to even think about it, as the buffer will save any messages till the system can process them.  I absolutely love the MM COM port buffers.    

But yes, the PICAXE still has it's uses, and is probably most at home in the classroom, but MMBASIC is just much more flexible and has that wonderful built-in editor, so you can debug right there on the chip, which makes the debug phase of any code development faster, cos you don't have to compile/download every single change.

Each to their own, I guess, and I am certainly NOT putting the PICAXE down.
If not for getting started with the PICAXE series of chips, I probably would not have found and moved on to the Micromite.  And as I say - they ARE still useful, but MMBASIC is better - IMHO - at more complicated tasks and mathematics, and many MMBASIC ports have native support for special devices and an SD card, which the PICAXE does not.  But I am sure you could get them to work with PICAXE, but you'd have to develop the code to make them talk yourself, whereas with the MM, it's already built-in.

Trying not to upset any PICAXE fans here, while at the same time trying to explain why I moved away from them!  

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024