Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:03 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite Pin Usage - SPI and PS/2 KB

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 03:13am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a couple of questions about pin usage on the PicoMite. Perusing the manual doesn't give me a clear (to me) answer.

Question 1 - SPI pins:
Appendix D explains setting up the 2 available SPI ports. MOSI, MISO and CLK can be configured for SPI and SPI2 separately. The pin choices allow no overlap between ports. How is this affected by OPTION SYSTEM SPI? Does this create a third SPI port? Or does the SYSTEM SPI port replace one of the 2 ports? Which one?

Question 2 - PS/2 Keyboard Pins:
  The Manual said  The keyboard must be connected as follows:
Connect GP8 to PS2 socket CLOCK pin.
Connect GP9 to PS2 socket DATA pin.

Absolutely no way to change those pins? Could they maybe possibly be configurable? As it stands, the keyboard cannot be used with the WaveShare 3.5" display module.

Thanks.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:17am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

System SPI has to be one of the two existing hardware SPI ports of the RP2040. You can use any of the available pins that can be allocated for a particular port, so you could for example se GP0 (spi_rx), GP7 (spi_tx) and GP18 (spi_clk) with any pin for spi_cs.

You can use system spi for any valid spi devices, but if you are using it for a display you obviously mustn't close it. :)  Once OPTION SYSTEM SPI is set the port is open so there is no need to open and close it to use it for anything else. Note that OPTION SYSTEM SPI isn't available for the VGA firmware as there will never be a SPI display connected.

The SD card SPI is a special case as it is bit-banged. As such it can use any pins. If it's on the system spi pins then they are temporarily bit-banged while the card is accessed before being returned to hardware control.

I have wondered about the PS/2 pins myself. I'm guessing that they are being bit-banged  in a routine that's time-sensitive and it may be difficult to use alternatives. Only a guess though. Is that display one of the awkward ones? If so it might be better to simply use a different (and better) one.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

matherp
Guru

Posted: 07:36am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  r does the SYSTEM SPI port replace one of the 2 ports? Which one?

Yes: either as you want

Quote  Could they maybe possibly be configurable? As it stands, the keyboard cannot be used with the WaveShare 3.5" display module.

Lot of work as PS2 uses a H/W interrupt for the clock pin. Given the Waveshare can't even support BLIT etc (no MISO) then not worth it for this display. Better to use an ILI9488 and then you get flexible pin usage

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:32am 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter. :)
Mick

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 04:44pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  does the SYSTEM SPI port replace one of the 2 ports? Which one?

Yes: either as you want

So this means the SYSTEM SPI port pins must be chosen from the allowable pin groups for SPI _or_ SPI2? (No mixing and matching.) And therefor the SYSTEM SPI is assigned to SPI or SPI2 based on the pins chosen?

For example, "OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP10,GP11,GP12" results in using SPI2 for the system SPI.
And "OPTION SYSTEM SPI GP16,GP15,GP14" is illegal because GP16 is on the wrong channel.

And further, there is no resource contention if I use that SPI port (assuming I obey CS, don't close the port, ...) while other features are enabled, such as a touch screen?

For example, a command such as "received_data = SPI2(data_to_send)" won't start until the SPI2 port is available, and other access is blocked until the command completes.
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:19pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can't use the system SPI for any other use. It will be used for touch, LCD and SDcard as required. The other SPI channel is fully available as per any other version of MMBasic. Pins for a SPI channel must be assigned as per the the diagram in the manual all either SPI or SPI2/SP2. Of course SPI is trivial to bitbang in which case any pins can be used

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 05:26pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  I have a couple of questions about pin usage on the PicoMite. Perusing the manual doesn't give me a clear (to me) answer.

Question 1 - SPI pins:
Appendix D explains setting up the 2 available SPI ports. MOSI, MISO and CLK can be configured for SPI and SPI2 separately. The pin choices allow no overlap between ports. How is this affected by OPTION SYSTEM SPI? Does this create a third SPI port? Or does the SYSTEM SPI port replace one of the 2 ports? Which one?

Question 2 - PS/2 Keyboard Pins:
  The Manual said  The keyboard must be connected as follows:
Connect GP8 to PS2 socket CLOCK pin.
Connect GP9 to PS2 socket DATA pin.

Absolutely no way to change those pins? Could they maybe possibly be configurable? As it stands, the keyboard cannot be used with the WaveShare 3.5" display module.

Thanks.

I thought picomite had 2 "hardware" spi.
some basics say bit bang where others say software spi.

I'm wiring a new picomite to another ili9341 and will check the wiring cos touch is shared with the display hardeware spi but not checked the sd card slot... too busy being happy it worked as it was join the dots construction from Geoff's site and his connection drawings.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 05:45pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That diagram is, to be picky, for the Pico, not the PicoMite. :)
The one in the manual is the one that you need to refer to if you want to get the names right.

There are two hardware SPI ports, referred to in MMBasic as SPI and SPI2, That's to keep compatibility with other MMBasic platforms that only have a single channel called SPI. Using those means that you MUST use the pins shown on the PicoMite diagram.

As I said previously, the SD card is a special case and uses bit-banged SPI. That can use any pins, they don't have to be specified for SPI. It's usually convenient (and pin-saving) to put it on SYSTEM SPI together with a LCD display and Touch though as it only uses one additional pin (for CS) then.
Mick

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:17pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I'll use the one in the manual

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024