Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:15 19 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Tiny Cube Sat - PicoMite version

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 07:34pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Time for me to redeem myself from the "composite" chatter ;-)

One of my students show me this:  https://www.bhoite.com/sculptures/tiny-cube-sat/ where this artist uses the ATTINY85 to make "arty" models that use the microcontroller.

Duly inspired - and with a box of solar cells salvaged from garden lights, its time to see what I can do.

The key thing will be reducing the power consumption - drop clock speed, enable sleep for starters.  

The Pico will operate on quite a range of low voltages - I wonder how "low" it will fo before it cant drive an LED any more?

Will post build pictures tomorrow.

N
Entropy is not what it used to be

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:17pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The Pico isn't great for low power stuff.
If you are using the on-board buck boost converter you can expect it to work down to about 1V8, but you mustn't exceed 5V5 input to it. MMBasic doesn't support any sort of low power mode other than reducing the CPU speed.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Nimue

Guru

Posted: 08:32pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  The Pico isn't great for low power stuff.
If you are using the on-board buck boost converter you can expect it to work down to about 1V8, but you mustn't exceed 5V5 input to it. MMBasic doesn't support any sort of low power mode other than reducing the CPU speed.

Got some solar cells that trickle charge NiCad batteries from some garden lights - will be "fun" to see what I can do.

Not expecting ATTINY-like low power - just for it to run overnight and charge the next day!

N
Entropy is not what it used to be

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:16pm 16 Aug 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's well worth a try. :)  3V6 from 3x Ni-Cd is nicely within the acceptable range. 4V8 might go a bit high in bright sun but it would run for longer.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024