Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:28 29 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMiteVGA: Any possibility of KEYDOWN ?

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:33pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

I've been trying to keep my head-down but INKEY$ just isn't cutting it for arcade games (because you get one key-press and then you don't know what is happening until/unless the keyboard repeat kicks in). Is there any hardware or Pico SDK limitation that prevents the PicoMiteVGA from having a KEYDOWN() function (reporting at least 2 keys), if not then I don't suppose you could be prevailed upon to implement it ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:49pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Major re-write of the keyboard interrupt routine (originally written by Geoff) so sorry no

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:55pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Fair enough, but could you confirm  (or deny) that a PS/2 keyboard does send keyup/keydown signals rather than just pre-processed key-presses so if some foolhardy youth wanted to have a go when (if ever) he clears his current slate then it wouldn't be impossible ?

Best wishes,

Tom

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:59pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It does send keyup but they are completely ignored apart from modifier keys

if(KeyUpCode) {
                           if(Code == L_SHFT) LShift = 0;                      // left shift button is released
                           else if(Code == R_SHFT) RShift = 0;                 // right shift button is released
                           else if(Code == CTRL) Ctrl = 0;            // left control button is released
                           else if(KeyE0 && Code == 0x11) AltGrDown = 0;       // release the AltGr key on non US keyboards
                           else if(Code == KeyDownCode) KeyDownRegister = 0;           // normal char so record that it is no longer depressed
                           goto SkipOut;

}

You would need a table for other keys and respect the language keymapping and have all the special cases for language ALT keys

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 06:29pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How does CMM2 work around this ? I understand CMM2 has KEYDOWN

Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

matherp
Guru

Posted: 06:32pm 25 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  How does CMM2 work around this ? I understand CMM2 has KEYDOWN

USB keyboard not PS2 so repeat requires handling keyup and remember how many auto-repeat bugs the CMM2 had if you miss a keyup. The PS2 version is MUCH simpler
Edited 2022-09-26 04:33 by matherp

thwill

Guru

Posted: 09:23am 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for your responses Peter. I note that the CMM1 with a PS/2 keyboard did have KEYDOWN() but only for a single key, so maybe in time I will be able to do something on the PicoMiteVGA.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-26 19:23 by thwill

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 01:08pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

hi peter,
   there is one way that may be easy to implement, though i'm not suggesting you do it - in fact i have no use for the functionality myself.

within the keyboard handler, once any scan code has been decoded simply add it to a 16-entry ring buffer located somewhere in RAM, with the the byte following the buffer holding the current 'head' value (the location of the next empty slot in the ring buffer). either locate the ring buffer at a fixed address, or better still at an address that can be retrieved with MM.KBDINDEX.

then leave the rest up to the programmer to handle. the programmer can read the 'head' value, and set their own 'tail' to this value. thereafter, whenever they see head<>tail they know to do:
new_scan_code=PEEK(tail)
tail=(tail+n) mod (16*n)         ' (where n is the size of each slot)    
print new_scan_code

all the heavy lifting is thereby pushed onto the programmer, while the RAM overhead could be as little as 17 bytes (i don't know how long the PS/2 scan codes are).

cheers,
rob   :-)

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 01:29pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

is there anyway to use an FDDI - serial  for Keyboard INPUT ?
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

Rickard5

Guru

Posted: 01:29pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

is there anyway to use an FDDI - serial  for Keyboard INPUT ?
I turned the volume on the monitor to max and could hear sound. Thanks Stanleyella

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:42pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  is there anyway to use an FDDI - serial  for Keyboard INPUT ?

Check OPTION SERIAL CONSOLE in the manual

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  Thanks for your responses Peter. I note that the CMM1 with a PS/2 keyboard did have KEYDOWN() but only for a single key (I just checked), so maybe in time I will be able to do something on the PicoMiteVGA.

Best wishes,

Tom

It may ease the keyboard control of games (and it may violate your NES controller project, Tom). But it may be worth realizing that Mauro's games all use KEYDOWN for keyboard control. So some form of workaround would be nice before next years programming challenge (*)

Volhout

(*)=since CMM2 is made from unobtainium, the target will most likely be picomite. And without external hardware (some form of controller) your game must rely on keyboard.
Edited 2022-09-27 01:12 by Volhout

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 04:04pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Maybe it is as simple as adding MM.LASTKEY that points to a memory adress that contains the last key received.

In basic you would

Lastkey = peek(MM.LASTKEY)
Poke MM.LASTKEY,0

All Peter would have to do is write the last key received into that memory address before adding it to the keyboard buffer. And add the pointer to that address to the structure with MM.xxx

Or am I oversimplifying thing...?
Edited 2022-09-27 02:57 by Volhout

vegipete

Guru

Posted: 05:48pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quite the dilemma. Many of the games I've written for the CMM2 rely on being able to distinguish 2 simultaneous key presses, usually arrow keys. This made porting to the PicoMite ... interesting.  
Visit Vegipete's *Mite Library for cool programs.

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:51pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Volhout said  It may ease the keyboard control of games (and it may violate your NES controller project, Tom). But it may be worth realizing that Mauro's games all use KEYDOWN for keyboard control. So some form of workaround would be nice before next years programming challenge.

@Turbo46 and I have already talked off-TBS about this and I am looking at adapting the work I've been doing on PicoGAME controller support into a more general controller (and keyboard masquerading as controller) framework/library covering CMM2, PicoMite and MMB4W. We could then consider allowing use of that library in next year's programming challenge (assuming there is one) without it counting against the 5K limit - to be discussed closer to the time.

I apologise for not opening discussion or details of this library up at this time on TBS (though it's very similar to what I've published previously on the PicoGAME), but historical experience is that discussion of "controller standards" gets nowhere and is soon buried under hardware schematics for various controller schemes. To my mind this is not a hardware problem per se but a software problem concerned with the definition of an API for simple controller "device drivers" (written in MMBasic.) My plan is to run with it solo for a little longer before reporting back.

Volhout said  Maybe it is as simple as adding MM.LASTKEY that points to a memory adress that contains the last key received.

You need a scheme that allows you to read what keys (at least 2) are depressed at (as close as possible) the current time. i.e. not historical data and you need to be able to tell if a key is still being pressed, which INKEY$ can't do, or has been released. I'd prefer to have nothing in the immediate future rather than some "hack" that is then detrimental to have something better later and closer to the CMM2/MMB4W KEYDOWN() functionality. Peter seems to have confirmed it is technically possible so I will take a look myself when I've cleared a couple of other things from the bench, and perhaps either I will succeed (I think I'm capable of working on the PicoMite firmware), or my amateur flailings may cause Peter to take pity on me.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-27 03:57 by thwill

thwill

Guru

Posted: 05:54pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

vegipete said  Quite the dilemma. Many of the games I've written for the CMM2 rely on being able to distinguish 2 simultaneous key presses, usually arrow keys. This made porting to the PicoMite ... interesting.  

You can get part-way there either by reading INKEY$ repeatedly until you've processed all the characters currently in the buffer, or registering an ON KEY interrupt to handle key-presses immediately and set a bitmap which you then read (and clear) when you are ready to handle the input. The problem with both methods (which are basically equivalent) is you can't detect when a key is being held-down and not released.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2022-09-27 03:54 by thwill

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:17pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PCs detect key-up messages in order to do n-key rollover. This works well on PS/2 but USB keyboards have a problem as they only handle a small number of simultaneous keys. I have a (virtually) n-key rollover USB keyboard but it achieves it by fooling windows into letting it be two devices.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 07:15pm 26 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cringe
my site

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024