Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:04 16 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Raspberry or Babana?

lew247

Guru

Posted: 02:17pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

How about this
Esp32 with wifi and bluetooth the same pinout and size as the raspberry pico?
Could this be ported?
or are all Esp32's useless?

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:05pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It could - but remember Peter has previously posted just how much work a "port" (re-write of all hardware-related parts) is.  (Months, or at least weeks, not days.  Using C.)

John
Edited 2022-09-28 02:06 by JohnS

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:54pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lew247 said  Esp32 with wifi and bluetooth the same pinout and size as the raspberry pico?
Could this be ported?
or are all Esp32's useless?

ESP32s are in no way useless. Annex Basic runs nicely on them. As far as porting goes (if I recall correctly), Peter said some years ago that the ESP32 was quite capable of running MMBasic, that he had ported the core functionality except for pin I/O (the hardest part of the job), and if someone wanted to undertake that I/O, he would provide the code he already had.

And as of now you can run simulations using them: Annex ESP32 web simulation

I'm not sure what great advantage there is to having the Pico pinout for the ESP32 (though I guess some of my PCBs could be used with them).

~
Edited 2022-09-28 02:55 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

matherp
Guru

Posted: 05:16pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Peter said some years ago that the ESP32 was quite capable of running MMBasic, that he had ported the core functionality except for pin I/O (the hardest part of the job), and if someone wanted to undertake that I/O, he would provide the code he already had.

Not quite, I said I would do the I/O but I needed someone to do the web I/F so, for example, you could edit from a browser. I had MMBasic up and running with SDcard and logging into wifi from what I remember. Seem to have lost both the code and IDE in a PC upgrade earlier this year though and Pico will be my last port as it gets boring after a time.

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:39pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote   it gets boring after a time.

Thanks for staying here so long, you made many people enthousiastic,. If you feel it is time for new adveentures, you should move on. But we will never forget what you have achieved.

Thank you....
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

PeteCotton

Guru

Posted: 11:24pm 27 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  .... Pico will be my last port as it gets boring after a time.

I can't wait to see what your next big project is going to be! But yes, I would also like to thank you for what you and Geoff have created here. You have truly inspired me in many ways - from reliving my childhood programming in BASIC, to demonstrating what these chips are capable of.

This has obviously been a massive (heroic?) undertaking that most people would have given up on a long time ago. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 05:59am 28 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That's like hearing your favourite band announcing their last and final tour  

thwill

Guru

Posted: 06:09am 28 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rumours of Peter's death seem greatly exaggerated, all he said was that he wasn't doing any more ports. He hasn't for example said that he is going to stop supporting his existing ports, join the Foreign Legion or give up electronics in favour of needlework .

Which isn't to say I don't echo the thanks of the other posters.

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 07:10am 28 Sep 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Historically it's considered to be rather rude to make "Me too" posts, but sod it...

Me too.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024