Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 10:59 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Using mmEdit with Annex

MikeO

Posted: 11:01am 01 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just wanted to share this post I made on the Annex Forum. It explains the use of mmEdit with Annex and I hope that some people who use both mmBasic and Annex, like myself, may find this useful. My thanks to Jim for an excellent program! Mike

Quote  I tend not to used the built in editor except for small edits, I have found in the past I have got myself into trouble keeping my original code files up to date, so i have generally used an external editor and cut and past to upload code to the ESP device.

However since the introduction of the Local Save and Load buttons in the latest Annex versions, I have stumbled across a very satisfactory method for updating and loading code.
Being also a MMBasic coder for many years I have used the excellent MMEdit (written by Tassy Jim (Jim Hiley) of the Back Shed) as my main editor, Jim now has a Multi Window version of MMEdit which also works well as an editor for Annex RDS. MMEdit has many great features but one of its really welcome functions is its ability to "insert" code files , so making the addition of routines, code snippets or complete libraries quite easy, the included files may also have a ".inc" file extension. https://www.c-com.com.au/MMedit.htm

So to make the operation relatively seamless you will need to set the option in your browser regarding where you save downloads, to "Ask", this way you can nominate the folder you are currently using for your code. I use Firefox but I think all browsers will allow this, I also use windows but I assume Linux has a similar arrangement? So now you edit your code in MMEdit, save it locally then from the ESP editor you click the "Load a file from local computer" button, select your code file , load and save the file in the ESP. Simple edits can ofcourse be made directly on line and then the original file on your computer can be updated using the "Save a file to the local computer" button, you will need to reload your local copy of course.

There may be some tricks to this method but so far for me I think it is a very satisfactory arrangement.

Mike

Codenquilts

Tinine
Guru

Posted: 08:54pm 04 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not much activity over at the Annex32 forum, I see.

MikeO

Posted: 08:37am 05 Dec 2022
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is True, keep out of the politics is my motto!

Mike
Codenquilts

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024