Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:18 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Cheeky fake USB3 HDD....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:56am 04 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This one is NOT mine - I can spot a scam, but I thought I would find out what was inside.

A friend-of-a-friend sent me a new external HDD for me to copy some of my media library onto just prior to Christmas.  As I am now in quarantine till Sunday with the coof, I found some time to play about with it.

When plugged in, it identified itself as a HDD, but the first warning sign of something odd, was it showed up as FOUR 2TB USB HDD's.

I bet many of you already know where this is going....

Drives F, G, H and J.

Firstly, it is impossible to get a new USB3 HDD that is already pre-partitioned, unless someone has carved it up before it got to you, and 2nd - 4x 2TB?!

So...8TB in a 2.5" external case, for what I soon found out cost the guy $50 on ebay.
Ahhhh.....
Making more sense now!  

Besides the fact that you can't even buy a 2.5" HDD of 8TB capacity in the first place, even if you COULD.......fifty bucks?!    

BTW, the largest 2.5" spinning HDD I could find new from the likes of Seagate or WD etc, was 4TB @ NZ$333 each. Link, if interested
Half the capacity and roughly seven times the price - for genuine capacity, that is.  

Obviously, this USB3 thing is a fake drive, and I passed that along to the friend-of-a-friend, but it is the uneducated that are the ones that get taken by these scams.

Cracking it open revealed:

So, using a USB3 socket, but very much a USB2 speed arrangement inside, so is slow AND will not have anywhere near the capacity, and gawd only knows what happens to your data if written to this thing.

This scam is probably actually quite lucrative, considering they are probably building it for about $10 including case, and selling it for $50 + postage per unit.

Remember the old saying? "If something looks to good to be true, it probably is."
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

phil99

Guru

Posted: 05:13am 04 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just idle curiosity, have you determined the actual capacity of those thumb drives?

Edit
Many years ago I bought a 32GB that worked at first then started scrambling files. Re-formatted and started writing to it, checking the first files after each write. It worked ok up to about 7GB then started messing things up. Probably an 8GB chip with a fake ID.
Edited 2023-01-04 15:42 by phil99

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:16am 04 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No, never even bothered to plug one of the four in.
It will be reporting as 2TB - which again, is not possible in current USB flash-drive flavours.  You CAN get 1TB flash drives for NZ$305 each.... link

As your edit says, they WILL be some kind of cheap flash-drive with a fake ID to trick the computer into thinking it has much more then it really has.

Would not surprise me if they were 2GB drives ID-ing as 2TB.

In any event, not something to use for anything anyway, as they are also totally unbranded.  I did crack one open to have a look inside, but the build-quality was so horrible, I just swept the entire collection of bits into the bin once I had take the photos and posted the thread.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:38am 04 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Perhaps the only way to stop them is to claim the payment back.

John

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 11:15pm 04 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got one like this 2TB and it is but slow transfer on usb 2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295290193467

Godoh
Guru

Posted: 05:21am 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the heads up. Cheeky mongrels alright. I wonder how many people they catch with these things.
Pete

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:57am 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  I got one like this 2TB and it is but slow transfer on usb 2.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295290193467

Isn't that rather cheap?

I'd run a full pattern-based test on it - and expect it to fail :(

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:19am 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Godoh said  Thanks for the heads up. Cheeky mongrels alright. I wonder how many people they catch with these things.
Pete

Lots, unfortunately.

Many people buy those external drives as a way to move or store a large media library.
Non-computer tech people who just use computers, but don't know or care about any of the technical details, are the ones bitten by these kinds of scam.

These kind of fake external SSD/HDD can sell for what seems like a remarkably low price considering the capacity they advertise, but they are a complete fake.  Anyone who buys one and finds that out later, usually gets nowhere with any kind of complaint, as the seller will just ignore you.  Complaining to admin at eBay or AliExpress MIGHT get you somewhere, but it usually does not.

The worst thing about them really, is that they are - as far as I am concerned - a data time-bomb.  Writing ANYTHING to these things is at best, dubious, and at worst, an absolute disaster.  Once you write past the actual capacity of the drive(and you don't know what that is), it usually results in total corruption of the data on the thing, making the existing data unrecoverable in the process.

The emotional results of that kind of data loss can be devastating to the unknowing.

A horrible, horrible kind of fake storage device IMHO.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 10:45am 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi,

I can recommend H2testw(https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539). this is a free software to test data storage. I (and friends of mine) have used it to unmask many a fake USB stick!
It is a simple program that writes test files to the media and reads them back. If errors occur, they are detected immediately. The only disadvantage is that it can take a long time with large media...

Frank

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 11:20am 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I use a Linux version of that: f3

Well, usually on SD cards, but seems to work on any block device (as you'd expect).

John
Edited 2023-01-05 21:23 by JohnS

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 04:42pm 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My win 10 pc's have only usb2. Should it take 70 hour? :)
My rpi400 has usb3 but will the linux version work on it?

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Warning: Only 33772 of 1999983 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
20.2 GByte OK (42493056 sectors)
12.7 GByte DATA LOST (26672000 sectors)
Details:2.3 MByte overwritten (4866 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
12.7 GByte corrupted (26667134 sectors)
65 KByte aliased memory (130 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000510b90000
Expected: 0x0000000510b90000
Found: 0xffffffffffffffff
H2testw version 1.3
Reading speed: 17.7 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

If it's too good to be true.... etc.  :)

Bill7300

Posted: 11:43pm 05 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not quite the same device but one here is very similar. The description under the "Portable SSD" should have been a clue. Obviously "MOBILLE SDUD STATE" looked sufficiently close to "MOBILE SOLID STATE" to that non-English speaker.

Bill

stanleyella

Guru

Posted: 05:05pm 06 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill7300 said  Not quite the same device but one here is very similar. The description under the "Portable SSD" should have been a clue. Obviously "MOBILLE SDUD STATE" looked sufficiently close to "MOBILE SOLID STATE" to that non-English speaker.

Ha! Ha! ... but it's not funny really :) It's bad!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 06 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

stanleyella said  My rpi400 has usb3 but will the linux version work on it?

Should work.

The RPi is quite slow - not sure how fast its USB is but safe to try it & report back :)

John

gadgetjack

Posted: 11:26pm 08 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I remembered getting one similar to this as a present a few months ago. Was told it was 2 terabyte. I laughed and put it on a shelf. After reading this thread , I dug it out and tested it for a laugh. Sure enough it says 2 terabyte , but fails after about 32 gig of testing with fake finder software. And very SLOW reading. Says bluetooth 3 but I dont think so.

toml_12953
Guru

Posted: 11:59am 10 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bill7300 said  Not quite the same device but one here is very similar. The description under the "Portable SSD" should have been a clue. Obviously "MOBILLE SDUD STATE" looked sufficiently close to "MOBILE SOLID STATE" to that non-English speaker.

SDUD is right. Definitely a DUD!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024