Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 17:23 18 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Cute little 2.1 amp for your PC...

Page 2 of 2    
hitsware2

Guru

Posted: 06:59pm 14 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mixtel90 said  
It was already degraded when you got it.

Yes .
The problem being that , perceptually ,
the degradation is cumulative .
But then if one does not hear , or even
listen for it , ..... Who cares ?
Edited 2023-01-15 05:01 by hitsware2
my site

plover

Guru

Posted: 12:18am 15 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In the years just before covid arrived on the scene I was playing around with some of these class D amps for driving LEDs with various frequencies.

I did not set out to do this but an instrument I bought, to me became suspicious, so I had to trouble shoot and it turned out the amp had a problem. This started me looking at replacement options.

The supplier provided a new amp but I continued to make improvements to my way of thinking.  One interesting thought I had, running different loads on the left and right channel, say sound in one and LEDs in the other.

This brought me to look at the outputs, are they actually isolated/floating? with respect to DC ground?

I never found answers I was happy with. At the time I remember testing with a couple of back to front power LEDs with a common series resistor to limit current because depending on volume the voltage could go to around 60V. I only managed to test one channel before the plandemic hit, that was basically the end of my electronics as I switched to medical study big time.

Well I did not blow the LEDs and I did not work out if the outputs are 'isolated'.

Is there any easy answers?

phil99

Guru

Posted: 02:54am 15 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If the manufacturer does not clearly state that the outputs are isolated then it's almost certain they aren't. It is possible it has no mains earth connection and is isolated in that sense, but are unlikely to be isolated from the signal ground. The outputs are usually bridge type with single supply rail so the no-signal voltage on them is about half supply voltage, to signal ground.

plover

Guru

Posted: 03:15am 15 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

phil99
Thanks for posting, my memory isd poor but your post seems to have triggered something in my mind.  

Seems my earlier conclusion just before packing away the electronics for that project I has come to think likewise, I noted the H bridge.  I think that was why I added two LEDs parallel back to front.  I also think I can remember they both lit up when signal was increased.

If I can find a rainy day I may have a quick peek when I get my workshop partly cleaned up so I can actually fit in there and use more than just a multi meter.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:48am 15 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I got the amp that's intended to drive a reversed mains transformer for my turntable speed control yesterday. 43mm x 30mm x 8mm. And 30W mono. In actual fact I won't be aiming for that and it's unlikely to ever provide more than 5W, but it cost the same as a lower powered one. :)  This is a bridged class D (intended for car audio systems really) as I don't need ground referenced outputs. Just waiting for the transformer to turn up now and I can start to play. :)

Sheesh... I remember my dad having a 25W mono PA amp. It had a pair of 6L6 in push-pull into an output transformer that I kept for many years after the amp was scrapped!
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:56am 23 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My new amp has arrived, and it is just as cute as the first one, but it IS just a smidgen bigger to allow for the output LC filters.

Have not hooked it up just yet, but the old one without the filters has been performing beautifully since I put it on-line.  It might be radiating a bit though, so it will be a good idea to replace it.  I plan to do that tomorrow.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 08:19am 23 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That version looks every bit as nice. :)
Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:49am 23 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I plan to give it a bit of a push tomorrow night with various music styles to see how it sounds.  If anything like the unfiltered version, I am expecting the same kind of sound.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:15am 23 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The top might get rounded a bit as it flies round those coils before making it's dizzy way out, but that's all. :)
Mick

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024