Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:57 24 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMB4L - current status

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:16pm 24 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Tom,

Can you please advise the current status of MMB4L?  ... and what/where is the latest version?

I am running Mint 20.1 and am very interested in your project. Also if I can assist in any way with testing, am very happy to do.

Regards,
Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

thwill

Guru

Posted: 12:36pm 24 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Doug,

MMB4L is currently version 2022.01.00 alpha 4, but to all intents and purposes I'm considering it to just be version 0.4, and I'll be calling the next release plain-old 0.5.

Documentation: https://github.com/thwill1000/mmb4l
Releases: https://github.com/thwill1000/mmb4l/releases
   - look at the "Assets" under each release for the downloads for x86, x86_64 and armv6l (Raspberry Pi's)

It strives to have language compatibility with the core* language of MMBasic 5.07 though is currently missing a couple of the latest additions to the MATH and MEMORY commands that Peter put in the PicoMite f/w.

* At this time it doesn't have GPIO support or high-res graphics.

Development of version 0.5 is well advanced (https://github.com/thwill1000/mmb4l/tree/thwill-alpha5) but it's basically just bug-fixes, tweaks and improvements under the hood c.f. alpha 4. The one "headline item" (though it hardly deserves that accolade) is that it will do Tab completion of paths at the command prompt.

panky said  I am running Mint 20.1 and am very interested in your project.

I have confidence it will work on that platform, if it doesn't then please let me know.

panky said  Also if I can assist in any way with testing, am very happy to do.

Thanks, but I think it's the nature of MMB4L that for the foreseeable future every release will be a test release so there isn't any great point in providing "early access", it would just add to my overhead.

Best wishes,

Tom
Edited 2023-01-25 05:40 by thwill
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

lizby
Guru

Posted: 02:21pm 24 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

thwill said  * At this time it doesn't have GPIO support or high-res graphics.

With the qualification that this now-deprecated (but not replaced and not likely to go away) I/O method works: Digital output to pins on a Pi Zero W with MMB4L

One reason this is deprecated is that there is nothing in Linux to prevent a program from trying to do I/O on a pin which another program is already using. For hobby use cases, this issue can probably be ignored. (I don't remember whether there is any clean-up if a program has failed.)

~
Edited 2023-01-25 00:23 by lizby
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 03:05pm 24 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

lizby said  With the qualification that this now-deprecated (but not replaced and not likely to go away) I/O method works: Digital output to pins on a Pi Zero W with MMB4L

Seems the wrong URL.

Maybe this?

John

lizby
Guru

Posted: 04:19pm 24 Jan 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  Seems the wrong URL.

Yes, thanks. I thought I even previewed it. Specifically, here .
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024