Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 18:50 28 Mar 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : PicoMite VGA SD Card not working

ms_donna

Posted: 02:52pm 21 Mar 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello - I'm new to the PicoMite VGA and put the kit together with no issues: VGA works great, kbd as well - I love the form factor. When I set the options for the SD card, issuing a FILES kept telling me "No SD Card Found". I unsoldered the SD card adaptor, got one on a breakout board and hooked up the PicoMite and new SD card breakout on a breadboard. I clear the flash, and reloaded 5.07.04 with the same results.

I checked GP10 - GP13 when issuing the FILES command, and I'm seeing the clock on 10, CS on 13, and some very minimal activity on 11 & 12. I have cleared the flash, and reloaded PicoMiteVGAV5.07.04.uf2 multiple times now with no change.

I have tried a new 32GB card (dos formatted) as well as an old 2GB card.  I'll hunt around to see if I have any others laying around to try.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  I anxious to get it all working. :)

thwill

Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 21 Mar 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome onboard @ms_donna,

I probably can't fix your problem but I can anticipate the next two questions:

1. Which PicoMiteVGA have you got - photo ?
2. What is the result of OPTION LIST at the prompt ?

Best wishes,

Tom
Game*Mite, CMM2 Welcome Tape, Creaky old text adventures

Volhout
Guru

Posted: 08:10pm 21 Mar 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi ms_donna,

When using a SD card breakout board, please ensure you have a breakout board that does not have an IC on it. The breakout boards with an IC use this IC as a level shifter from 5V (Arduino style) to 3V (SD card levels).

For the VGA mite you need to connect the picomite pins directly to the SD card connector.

The most common issue with SD card connectors is soldering. Sometimes the solder shorts the pin to the metal connector cover (I did this), sometimes the pad is laying on the board, but is not soldered.

If you use a breadboard, please make sure you have a capacitor (0.1uF parallel to 10uF) between the SD card Vdd and Vss pins. Cards really need this.

Good luck with the VGA mite...

Volhout
Edited 2023-03-22 06:11 by Volhout
PicomiteVGA PETSCII ROBOTS

ms_donna

Posted: 09:54pm 21 Mar 2023
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There was a near microscopic short between GP11 and GP12   which upon breaking fixed things.

I blame old eyes and not using a magnifier.  

Thank you both, especially Volhout for the nudge about solder shorts.

D

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024